Your Most Treasured Gripper

Cannon

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

This was fun. He wanted an estimated rating so we came up with one using math and devised a way to designate on the tag it was estimated. The ø symbol. 

What spring is this? Warren Tetting Hercules? What rating did he put for this gripper: 2400, 1800, or 1500 lb?

6 hours ago, josé adalton said:

What spring is this? Warren Tetting Hercules? What rating did he put for this gripper: 2400, 1800, or 1500 lb?

It was stamped with an H for Hercules.

The original Hercules gripper made by Warren himself was on a 0.5625" spring which is considerably larger than this gripper. That same 0.5625" gripper has been previously sold under the names "Super Universe" and also "The Beast."

I really wish I would have measured the spring but I'm 99% that it would have been 0.437". After Warren passed in 2019, one of his sons began selling some "Hercules" grippers on eBay which were using a smaller 0.437" spring. I’m pretty certain this was one of those. This same spring was previously used for the Super Galaxy grippers and I don't know why they didn't just stick with that name. But a true Hercules has a much larger spring.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2020 at 10:24 PM, nimar1994 said:

As an honorable mention I'd like to include my Left Turn COC #2. I didn't like the distance between the handles and the torsion spring's center, which initially was 3mm on the fixed leg and 4 in mobile leg. I decided to cut both spring's legs at about 2mm, being the new distance 1 and 2 mm respectively.

Somebody knows how you could remove the glue on the spring's legs without damaging the aluminum?

You use heat, either a heat gun or vary careful use of a torch. A lot of adhesives will break free between 300F and 400F

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

You use heat, either a heat gun or vary careful use of a torch. A lot of adhesives will break free between 300F and 400F

I'm going to cut a little bit off the legs of an unbranded Chinese 200 lb. That's my most treasured gripper. To reduce the (uneven) mount depth.

For re-gluing, is cyanoacrylate efficient, enough?

40 minutes ago, josé adalton said:

I'm going to cut a little bit off the legs of an unbranded Chinese 200 lb. That's my most treasured gripper. To reduce the (uneven) mount depth.

For re-gluing, is cyanoacrylate efficient, enough?

That likely won't be strong enough to handle the torque. Any of the high strength 2-part epoxys available are the preferred method to avoid coming loose

Good question , I would say that all my grippers are treasured to me. 
but what stands out the most I think is a couple grippers I got from somebody here at the GripBoard. I can’t close them yet but just knowing that it came from somebody super strong and close these regularly, means that there’s a history behind them and to me that means a lot. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My updated answer:

Collectibility/rare:
Either my 3 Tetting grippers (MM1 replica, Elite, MM2 replica), or my newly purchased 234 RGC RB 365 due to 230s RGC levels being relatively hard to find, or my 260 GHP 10, which I'm very happy to own, as the pinnacle of grip strength. All other grippers can be replaced for the most part, these ones are more difficult to replace. The GHP 10's are obviously still being made, but there's no guarantee that will always be the case.

For using:
Currently my favorite gripper to actually use is probably my 100 CoC No. 2, due to its kind sweep - just feels nice in the hand, or my 108 Filed CoC No. 2, as the depth feels great. For higher reps, my 66 CoC 0.5 has been my go-to gripper.

Right now my most treasured griper is not mine but on loan. 
it is a G.H.P. #5 RGC 111

• Like 1

I ended up selling the gripper I originally listed as my favorite here (a 159 3.5 with slightly uneven handles), I'm gonna go with my 158 cobalt now, it's a pretty rare rating & a good place to be heavier than a 3 but lighter than a 3.5 (generally) to work in. I use it just about every single session as one of my last "warmups" before doing heavier singles. I spent months and months looking for 158's and ended up with 2, I like the cobalt the most.

• Like 1

My Tetting Super Master (139). I haven't been training grip hard over the years, but when I could train for a few sessions and build back up to closing this one, I felt 'strong.' It's been a grip litmus for me in that way.  Time to blow past it though. . . 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I ended up selling the gripper I originally listed as my favorite here (a 159 3.5 with slightly uneven handles), I'm gonna go with my 158 cobalt now, it's a pretty rare rating & a good place to be heavier than a 3 but lighter than a 3.5 (generally) to work in. I use it just about every single session as one of my last "warmups" before doing heavier singles. I spent months and months looking for 158's and ended up with 2, I like the cobalt the most.

I ended up buying that 159 from you!  My fave is probably still my Tetting rated 140, but I love that I have such a light 3.5.

• Like 3

Look at that ,keeping it all in the family 

• Like 2

Since we all have newer answers, I'd say it's between my coc 2.5 rated at 122, or my filed Platinum Gripper at 123 rgc. My new current peaks and they feel just different enough to make me always wanna include them in training. Also the rating tag for both are blue

Edited by LABZSTS
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Most treasured grippers. 

Pictured: 

Tetting Pro (rated 274)

GHP10 (rated 275)

My first GHP10 (has both GHP stamps-bought 18. January 2018

Tetting World Class

Tetting World Class with narrow handles

Three Tetting Thor/Hercules (each with .437 spring - one on bottom left with red tab is rated approximately 1180lbs)

Tetting Hercules 

Standard Unobtanium 

Tetting Thor

AtomGripz6 (rated 305)

Not pictured: My 2004 CoC #4 and my new Tetting World Class (rated 270)

9AD521BB-CA79-4CAF-9285-8BA772421B64.jpeg

Edited by ChimpGrip
  • Like 11

38 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Most treasured grippers. 

Pictured: 

Tetting Pro (rated 274)

GHP10 (rated 275)

My first GHP10 (has both GHP stamps-bought 18. January 2018

Tetting World Class

Tetting World Class with narrow handles

Three Tetting Thor/Hercules (each with .437 spring - one on bottom left with red tab is rated approximately 1180lbs)

Tetting Hercules 

Standard Unobtanium 

Tetting Thor

AtomGripz6 (rated 305)

Not pictured: My 2004 CoC #4 and my new Tetting World Class (rated 270)

9AD521BB-CA79-4CAF-9285-8BA772421B64.jpeg

Those are some seriously heavy grippers.

you must have an impressive collection. 

• Like 3

My favorite gripper?  My Warren Tetting "THOR" 112 Master.  Closing it was a step on the path to the other two and my long-term goal of certifying on a CoC #3.

A very close second is a little steel GNC 100 that Matt Cannon went to a lot of trouble to file for me.  Absolute favorite warmup/recovery gripper and I use it almost every session.  I really appreciate the great lengths he went to help me out.

Warren Tetting THOR Grippers.jpg

Filed GNC 100.jpg

Edited by Douglas Carney
Typo.
  • Like 8

chimpgrip ,nice setup

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jared P said:

Those are some glorious looking Tettings! Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much, @Jared P!  I check the @Cannon used gripper page daily for finds like these...

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

My favorite gripper might not be special now, but maybe someday. I hope GHP continues to make grippers but there inventory is low at the moment.

My GHP6 from Australia.

I could not find a GHP6 anywhere and it was the only one I was missing from my 1-10 set. @C8Myotome alerted me when he saw a used GHP6 in the for sale section. I greatly appreciate him noticing my post about locating a GHP6, without c8myotome I would probably never find another one!

• Like 5

My favorite gripper is my HG250. I traveled to NY, to work during covid, and had zero access to gyms. I wasn't allowed to take much. So, I carried it with me, and whenever I got a few minutes in the ER, I took my frustration out on it. lol 

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 2

This has been my favorite for a while. Standard Iron super wider error model, 158, over 3" spread.

When I could CCS this that's when I knew I was ready for the #3 cert, and I was. I want a heavier and wider one :3 can't wait for Nickel

20231001_132322.jpg

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 6

My original #3 (148 RGC). I bought it 12 years ago.  I remember thinking how hard it felt, but I never considered it impossible.  I trained on it to get certified last year, and I've since had it drilled for choke hardware which helped me strengthen my left to start climbing the MM ladder.  No gripper in my collection has seen more work.  I'll keep it and the other CoC's for my kids, who are already trying to master the GHP junior set.

• Like 7