Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

7 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I should have been more specific here so to avoid a pointless exchange... No ones grip is what’s holding their bench back from getting stronger. And most certainly not anyone here. I’ll buy that a good grip makes bench pressing “safer”. But I’m not buying that anyone needs a strong grip to bench respectable weight. My 61 year old dad still out benches me and his grip strength isn’t half mine.

If your old mans grip was not only half as good as yours, his bench potentially would be even more than it is now. The more ones grip strength  is the more potential they have on most all  lifts. Only reason I mentioned grip at all was the apparent grip failures on the bench compilation fails your posted. Otherwise I would never have even mentioned it.  There are no pointless exchanges when we  can pick up potentially useful information from them. 

Page 4 now in a bench race thread and the only bench press vids posted so far have been bench press crashes... I feel so ashamed.. 😔

but hey! On the bright side! Joe has made bench press about grip! So no way this thread gets locked on basis of not being grip related! 😁 were safe now.

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

If your old mans grip was not only half as good as yours, his bench potentially would be even more than it is now. The more ones grip strength  is the more potential they have on most all  lifts. Only reason I mentioned grip at all was the apparent grip failures on the bench compilation fails your posted. Otherwise I would never have even mentioned it.  There are no pointless exchanges when we  can pick up potentially useful information from them. 

07845112-A7D9-41CB-9833-4E2B5E037ABC.png

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Page 4 now in a bench race thread and the only bench press vids posted so far have been bench press crashes... I feel so ashamed.. 😔

but hey! On the bright side! Joe has made bench press about grip! So no way this thread gets locked on basis of not being grip related! 😁 were safe now.

It’s all about keeping the “thread alive”... glad I could be of assistance! 🤣🤣🤣

This bet sounds like fun gentlemen! I'm all about chasing a raw 375 bench! Would it be within the rules to leave out that I came "kinda close" to this number a "few" years back?? 🤫🤫🤐😏

https://youtu.be/6uQvG8z1c5g

• Like 3

Been using false grip since the beginning (24 years now) and never dropped a bench.  I think the persons hand shape, size and thickness makes a difference.  Really thick slippery fat type smaller hands probably have a higher propensity for dropping bars.

My hand type is thin and when the bar is in it it's almost in a valley, so it cradles the bar a bit better I'm thinking. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Been using false grip since the beginning (24 years now) and never dropped a bench.  I think the persons hand shape, size and thickness makes a difference.  Really thick slippery fat type smaller hands probably have a higher propensity for dropping bars.

My hand type is thin and when the bar is in it it's almost in a valley, so it cradles the bar a bit better I'm thinking. 

That makes sense. I wonder if also some people reflexively flex their forearms as they’re straining under the load, which could also cause them to drop it...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HandsofStone said:

This bet sounds like fun gentlemen! I'm all about chasing a raw 375 bench! Would it be within the rules to leave out that I came "kinda close" to this number a "few" years back?? 🤫🤫🤐😏

https://youtu.be/6uQvG8z1c5g

So close! 😆

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

FWIW, I thought I’d take the time to point out that your previous benching at 190 makes you the best bencher in the race! That said, I think you should definitely go for double BW. Imo I still think double BW benches are the upper echelon of benchers. The elites.

just take it nice and slow after you hit 375 and keep churning. You’ll get it!

Thanks, appreciate it.  The only problem now at 47 is that there seems to be a new type of injury popping up every month.  And I’ve never really backed-off in my training, for anything, which has been starting to cause issues the past few years.  But a double body-weight bench has always been a goal, and will continue to be.  That and a triple body-weight  deadlift.  

• Like 2

My all time best TnG was 340 (May 13, 2013).  I think I weighed 270 - 275 at the time.  I'm currently in a cutting phase and recovering from a torn elbow tendon, but I have started benching again.  My current weight is hovering in the mid 240s (down from 280) and I hope to get that closer to 200 by the end of summer.  All that being said, I'll do my best.  I'm guessing I'll top out somewhere in the very low 300s though.  My best set at close to my current bodyweight was 257 X 10 when I weighed 257 back in the day.   My max right now if I really went for it is probably somewhere in the low to mid 200s.  My right tricep atrophied quite a bit not using my arm for 2 1/2 months.  That seems to be coming back fairly quickly, but my left is still way stronger than my right.  Doing a lot of lighter weight volume work right now.  Haven't even tried anything over 165 to be honest.  So we'll see how it goes.  In the past, my bench has been very bodyweight dependent, but I'm hoping to buck that trend.

If I don't have any setbacks, I may try to max in a couple weeks just to see where I'm at.  I'll post it up no matter how embarassing it is.  Unless I can't hit 225... then this post never happened and you'll never hear from me again.  Bwahahaha. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

Felt OK ... definitely heavy though! 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Nice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buccos1 said:

Strong lift!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Great bench but who's place is this? Not nearly enough chalk to be your basement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Nice

2 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Strong lift!

1 hour ago, Shoggoth said:

Great bench but who's place is this? Not nearly enough chalk to be your basement.

Thanks guys!  @Shoggoth lol, we have moved twice (3 kids) since.  The old place was perfect.  Single, no children, and never cleaned up chalk after 15 years.  Now I try to keep it kinda clean.  But, I have a bending area in the same room which was off-camera.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Strong lift Carl. I wish I had a home gym. I have been lifting at a small crappy commercial gym around the corner with shit benches and bars. Next bench session is Wednesday for me

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Chez said:

Strong lift Carl. I wish I had a home gym. I have been lifting at a small crappy commercial gym around the corner with shit benches and bars. Next bench session is Wednesday for me

Sometimes those kind of gyms have the best feel. The shiny commercial gyms where everything is pristine and appealing to the eye are usually full of fake tits and real assholes anyways.

as far as cheap bars, it seems run of the mill with most gyms. And even when they have good name brand bars, which are usually only hardcore gyms like Metroflex, they are locked in a wall mounted bar rack or put away so not to get bent or damaged by an anonymous whoever.

also, Eric and I have weighed quite a few plates at Adams gym that are non calibrated rubber coated plates. And surprisingly, all the plates we weigh are right on point, or are heavy. Specifically with the 45s. The ones that come on occasionally light are the lighter plates it seems. At least at that gym. The cheap bars on the other hand are a thing.. all but 1 bar we have weighed at that gym are 40-41lbs. The one that weighed in proper is listed on the end as a name brand 20k bar, and it came in at 44lbs.

but the cool part about this is, since the plates are heavy, and the bar is light, the more weight you have on the bar the less likely the total is to be under weight. At least to a worthwhile degree. Example, when we put 3 plates on a light bar, it actually comes in at almost exactly 315 total weight.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Sometimes those kind of gyms have the best feel. The shiny commercial gyms where everything is pristine and appealing to the eye are usually full of fake tits and real assholes anyways.

as far as cheap bars, it seems run of the mill with most gyms. And even when they have good name brand bars, which are usually only hardcore gyms like Metroflex, they are locked in a wall mounted bar rack or put away so not to get bent or damaged by an anonymous whoever.

also, Eric and I have weighed quite a few plates at Adams gym that are non calibrated rubber coated plates. And surprisingly, all the plates we weigh are right on point, or are heavy. Specifically with the 45s. The ones that come on occasionally light are the lighter plates it seems. At least at that gym. The cheap bars on the other hand are a thing.. all but 1 bar we have weighed at that gym are 40-41lbs. The one that weighed in proper is listed on the end as a name brand 20k bar, and it came in at 44lbs.

but the cool part about this is, since the plates are heavy, and the bar is light, the more weight you have on the bar the less likely the total is to be under weight. At least to a worthwhile degree. Example, when we put 3 plates on a light bar, it actually comes in at almost exactly 315 total weight.

This is all fine and dandy, but please tell me those plates aren’t really rubber coated. If they are I’m going crazy (again) or am officially senile...

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

Medium Intensity Bench:

2x5x275
Yellow Slingshot: 2x5x305
BW dips, pinky up Y's, facepulls

Very nice workout!

And I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks it’s not a totally lame idea to post my workouts here. Now Tommy has to make fun of two people. Thanks, Steve, for giving me the confidence to go ahead and report my workouts here!

20 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Eh. If it ends up being lame we can abandon posting. Who knows, it might be thrilling for others to follow - like watching a herd of buffalo running towards the cliff.

Or what if we get so strong giving that extra effort, knowing our workouts are under the scrutiny of all 🧐, that we can bench a buffalo... 🤠😮

Just now, WestSlope said:

Next heavy bench day I'm playing Ted Nugent's Great White Buffalo on repeat!

Do you want to have a mock bench meet in 6 or 8 weeks? When do you compete next?

I don’t compete until October, so as long as there isn’t a conflict with my cataract surgery recovery I’m down for that! I’ll find out when my surgery is Monday. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

This is all fine and dandy, but please tell me those plates aren’t really rubber coated. If they are I’m going crazy (again) or am officially senile...

Yep, just checked. You’re right they are not rubber coated. Maybe I’m going senile!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Very nice workout!

And I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks it’s not a totally lame idea to post my workouts here. Now Tommy has to make fun of two people. Thanks, Steve, for giving me the confidence to go ahead and report my workouts here!

Na I’m over it. It’s already page 5 and only 2 of those posts have workouts in them.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Yep, just checked. You’re right they are not rubber coated. Maybe I’m going senile!

I think it’s the fact that they are the same shape as a lot of rubber coated plates. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WestSlope said:

Cool! I haven't competed in powerlifting since 1983.

Wow... that’s the year after I started. 

• Like 1