Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

Great bench Tommy! You are getting close 

• Thanks 1

Tommy now when asked how much ya bench you can actually reply "bout tree fiddy"

I did 275x3x3 two days ago and followed that with 235x9 with my feet in the air.  A tenth would have been probable with a spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really great session. Strongest in a while and everything felt smooth 

Barbell Bench Press

4 warm ups 

250 lbs - 7x, 7x, 7x, 7x

315 lbs - single. Felt great, even better than last weeks 310 so I’m happy

230 lbs - 12x amrap

Incline Barbell Bench Press

225 lbs - 3x

245 lbs - 3x

265 lbs - 3x. Stronger than last week with more weight on every set in the workout leading to this 

Smith Machine Floor Press - every rep paused 

265 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 3x

305 lbs - 2x

Standing Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls

1 warm up 

50 lb DBs - 8x each arm

55 lb DBs - 8x each arm

60 lb DBs - 8x each arm

Machine Pec Deck Flys - Palm down

250 lbs (whole stack) - 4 sets of 10x 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Strong session for me today at the gym.

Bench.

Warmup sets, 225x3, 275, 285, 295 and 300x1 all reps dead stop paused at chest.

Incline db-

75x5, 95x5, 105x5, 115x5 and 125x4 all reps paused at chest.

209 bw today.

And probably the reason I had a really good session is I was in a great mood! Got notification my Texas power bar shipped today! 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Bench.

Incline db-

209 bw today.

And probably the reason I had a really good session is I was in a great mood! Got notification my Texas power bar shipped today! 

Great session dude

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2020 at 3:02 AM, Tommy J. said:

Sorry for the lack of posts.... still hittin it tho.

Looking Strong - closer every workout!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

Looking Strong - closer every workout!

Thank you sir. On a bit of a run at the moment. Last night hit 255 for 13 reps. Last rep was hard, but didn’t have to grind it to hang it back up. I like to think I had 1 more rep in the tank... but if I’m being honest, 13-1/2 reps would have been until failure.

btw all my stuff is t&g at the moment, and with elbow sleeves. I think 375 in sleeves could happen soon. But since the race is for raw it still won’t count until I get it raw.

i had a bit of a learning curve/step backwards a few months back when I started benching again. That step backwards was a big change in my grip. Everything I’ve done for the last few months has been close hand benching. Not like crazy close grip... but an inch and a half or so inside the rings. But I’m digging the closer grip all around. Less shoulder or pec kinks with this grip.

20 hours ago, king crusher said:

Bench.

Incline db-

209 bw today.

Killer work man!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Thank you sir. On a bit of a run at the moment. Last night hit 255 for 13 reps. Last rep was hard, but didn’t have to grind it to hang it back up. I like to think I had 1 more rep in the tank... but if I’m being honest, 13-1/2 reps would have been until failure.

btw all my stuff is t&g at the moment, and with elbow sleeves. I think 375 in sleeves could happen soon. But since the race is for raw it still won’t count until I get it raw.

i had a bit of a learning curve/step backwards a few months back when I started benching again. That step backwards was a big change in my grip. Everything I’ve done for the last few months has been close hand benching. Not like crazy close grip... but an inch and a half or so inside the rings. But I’m digging the closer grip all around. Less shoulder or pec kinks with this grip.

I no longer bench wide. My normal grip on everything now is pointer fingers 1" outside the center smooth so fairly close. 

My singles were all done with no spot at all so even the 300 was not an all out single where I felt I needed a spot. I'd say my current 1rm is 320 tng but I just doubt I'll go much above that.  I've been at that range to 340 for almost 20yrs lol. But I weigh less now so I actually think pfp I'm at my strongest bench now at 42. I'm happy with that.

• Like 1

Best bench session in a really long time. I can feel I am getting stronger every week. I really notice it on my lockouts

Bench Press

4 warm ups

250 lbs - 7x, 8x, 8x, 7x

320 lbs - 1x. I felt that was I shifting to the side again which threw me off a little. This bench is a little narrow and slippery especially cause I sweat so much but I was able to get it under control and finish the single. This is actually pretty close to my all time max of 325 and this was after 4 sets of moderate volume and fatigued so I am super happy. A new PR is coming soon!

235 lbs - 11x and slight miss on the 12th AMRAP

Video of all the working sets below

Incline Bench Press

230 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x

270 lbs - 2x

Smith Machine Floor Press - Every rep Paused

265 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 2x

305 lbs - 1x. Easy money. More weight next week. 

• Like 2

Just want to add that after a couple pec tweaks I also take a fairly narrow grip for a bigger guy to protect my shoulder and pecs 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chez said:

Best bench session in a really long time. I can feel I am getting stronger every week. I really notice it on my lockouts

Bench Press

4 warm ups

250 lbs - 7x, 8x, 8x, 7x

320 lbs - 1x. I felt that was I shifting to the side again which threw me off a little. This bench is a little narrow and slippery especially cause I sweat so much but I was able to get it under control and finish the single. This is actually pretty close to my all time max of 325 and this was after 4 sets of moderate volume and fatigued so I am super happy. A new PR is coming soon!

235 lbs - 11x and slight miss on the 12th AMRAP

Video of all the working sets below

Incline Bench Press

230 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x

270 lbs - 2x

Smith Machine Floor Press - Every rep Paused

265 lbs - 3x

285 lbs - 2x

305 lbs - 1x. Easy money. More weight next week. 

How do you get all those sets into one video? Filming and editing is not something I know much about.  Do you use a cellphone with a app?

Strong sets and nice 320 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, king crusher said:

How do you get all those sets into one video? Filming and editing is not something I know much about.  Do you use a cellphone with a app?

Strong sets and nice 320 

I used my camcorder For the filming but once I got each clip on my computer I used windows movie maker. It’s super easy to use. Very user friendly 

• Thanks 1

First bench session in my power rack with my new Texas power bar. 

I have enough plates for 240lbs so thats what I went for max reps.

I always go for max reps after a couple heavier singles to prime my cns but that's not possible right now.

I hit 240x9 with last rep paused but I know I'd be good for 11 in the gym. 

New set up different bar, different plates takes getting used to. Also while setting up my bench slid a little! I will need to figure out a way to secure it while benching! 

I did put all my weight on the bar with weight on it so the pins can hold 450lbs statically.

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, king crusher said:

First bench session in my power rack with my new Texas power bar. 

I have enough plates for 240lbs so thats what I went for max reps.

I always go for max reps after a couple heavier singles to prime my cns but that's not possible right now.

I hit 240x9 with last rep paused but I know I'd be good for 11 in the gym. 

New set up different bar, different plates takes getting used to. Also while setting up my bench slid a little! I will need to figure out a way to secure it while benching! 

I did put all my weight on the bar with weight on it so the pins can hold 450lbs statically.

Strong set and excellent last rep!

• Thanks 1

Finally hit 4 plates in the Maddog SS today!

Felt pretty good to get this, even though it’s a SS lift. Just before I did this I attempted the same weight in the red SS, couldn’t quite lock it out in the red one.

• Like 6

Dam. You’re Killing it Tommy! Great lift 

• Thanks 1

Hit a smooth fast 275 on the incline tonight.

Might have got close on a second but may have needed just a hair of assistance on lockout. 

Did 245x3x3 after this and a set of 6 with 225 last rep long paused. Then a fast 185x12 last two reps long pause.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Might have got close on a second but may have needed just a hair of assistance on lockout. 

Did 245x3x3 after this and a set of 6 with 225 last rep long paused. Then a fast 185x12 last two reps long pause.

Solid man. love how it looks like your breaking down crying before the rep. Very 2020 appropriate 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Killer benchin’ homie!

Perfect form too!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Finally hit 4 plates in the Maddog SS today!

Felt pretty good to get this, even though it’s a SS lift. Just before I did this I attempted the same weight in the red SS, couldn’t quite lock it out in the red one.

6 months of hitting these + heavy weighted chin ups + some JM press and you got 405 raw 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

6 months of hitting these + heavy weighted chin ups + some JM press and you got 405 raw 

Thanks for the kind words homie. I do need to be hitting the SS more. Today I felt really out of step with it. Felt awkward I guess since I haven’t used it in so long.

another factor that is notable when I wear the SS is I have to use a wider grip to get a decent rebound/stretch out of it. And I’ve gotten so comfortable with the closer grip I’ve been using that the SS and wider grip feels foreign. But... meh.. I may give the SS a little play for a while and see what happens.

5 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I always hated JM presses, feels like an awkward and 'unneccesary' variation of close grip bp and skullcrushers. Tries to simulate both at the same time without getting the full benefit of both. 

I probably can't do them correctly though 😁 I know they are highly regarded

Good thing you shared that opinion 👍👍👍👍 @Tommy J. hey disregard last post - some gripper guy doesn’t like JM press - he “feels” it’s unnecessary- back to the drawing board Ninja. 

10 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I always hated JM presses, feels like an awkward and 'unneccesary' variation of close grip bp and skullcrushers. Tries to simulate both at the same time without getting the full benefit of both. 

I probably can't do them correctly though 😁 I know they are highly regarded

4 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Good thing you shared that opinion 👍👍👍👍 @Tommy J. hey disregard last post - some gripper guy doesn’t like JM press - he “feels” it’s unnecessary- back to the drawing board Ninja. 

Ah no sweat fellas.

i go back and forth with myself on accessory work if I’m being honest. Some days I feel like crazy volume at around 65% is king, some days low reps heavy weight is king, other days I’ll swear doing nothing and resting is king. 😂

but if I’m being honest, I’m aware that I pretty much have to try a little bit of everything to continue moving forward on bench. Changing it up constantly, if you will. I look at it in this light: “if you want results you’ve never had, you have to try something you’ve never tried.”

That said, there is plenty of programs and accessory work I’ve yet to throw in the mix. I haven’t thrown JM presses in the mix heavily yet. I’ve tried them.. but never programmed them in. Definitely worth a shot. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Notable mention on accessory work tho! Especially with regards to triceps accessory work... since I’ve brought my grip in on bench days, I do notice that the triceps are as sore as the chest after a bench day. Making any extra triceps work a bit painful if I do them on the same day as bench. I know that prolly seems odd when reading.. but if you think about it, the triceps are getting mad attention already when I bench with the closer grip. Especially if I got heavy or go nuts on volume. I notice that when I throw in even a single set of skull crushers or triceps kickbacks on bench day, my elbows are screaming at me for a few days after. So I’m hesitant with triceps stuff at times due to all the close grip benching I’m already doing.

forgive me for rambling on.... basically what I’m saying is if I’m doing close grip bench, tricep accessory work on top of close grip bench is definitely overkill on my triceps and puts my elbows in pain. So I can do it 1 of 2 ways.. either bench close grip and skip triceps accessory work and not hurt, or go back to a wider grip and add triceps stuff along side wider grip bench and not hurt. For me being in any kind of pain means I’m doing something wrong.. and throws mental barriers in that tend to make me hesitant to train.

obviously I’m not breaking down any walls with gains at the moment. (Still only baby steps) And could possibly make gains faster with more efficient training methods... 🤷🏼‍♂️ But hey.... I’m still in this.

the only thing I’ve got going for me on the bench....

08EF155E-1785-4A32-A3B7-BFC56DFF2DC1.thumb.png.d42bc3ed7c6d1a8792e1a43735a018ba.png

• Like 2