Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Whoa! My dude! Send me your program! Love volume and have a feeling I can recover quickly. 😁 so I’m down to give it a try.

On the paying for the bottle if someone else takes the 375 down, that is very generous. But I can’t let myself miss out on chipping in for a nice bottle to the winner. And also wouldn’t feel right about you not getting the prize if you win.

Btw, vote or suggestion on the bottle? 

Y’all know I’m a cheap whiskey guy.. but do want to see a nice bottle go to someone. Something nicer than what I drink. Unfortunately, and admittedly, I don’t know what top shelf or even mid shelf whiskey is.. I’m a long time Jim Beam guy. And do like Gentleman Jack (even though I’m anything but!😜) and Fireball.

any suggestions for the prize other than my low grade stuff?

forgive me if a label of whiskey has already been mentioned or suggested.

Bourbon,  id go with anything from Jeffersons. Bottles range from the 50 range to 89. Four roses is pretty good too. As well as woodford reserve and bulliet (i prefer the rye) 

4 hours ago, Aaron Jacobs said:

Tommy & everyone - I'll pay for the whiskey for whoever wins 100% if it isn't me.  If I win, I don't want anything.  I plan on hitting 375lb.+ on the last week of August. 400lb. will fall by the end of the year for me if I don't get hurt.  You'd be amazed what high volume benching 4+ times a week can do for progress if you're able to recover.  

Benching 4+ times a week will only end in Injury. The only way that's possible is with such a sub maximum weight that you won't put big numbers on your bench. And if you bench heavy enough that first session you wont be benching three+ more times in the next six days.

34 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

It's possible. I have done it, with intensity at 70-85%. 5 days a week for 4 weeks I think it was. The key ofc is rather low volume, and minimal or no assistence work. My reaction to it initially when such a program was suggested for me was that it seemed completely ridiculous and stupid, but it did work. 

My friend ended up with a bad shoulder though. Technique and warm up must be impeccable. 

A rank beginner might be okay doing that for awhile but even then, injury will be all but inevitable.  

For an advanced lifter, there is NO WAY that program would work without getting injured. 

Did a few sets of slow reps with 90 kg. Elbow held up good, but I was being real careful not to aggravate anything. Should hopefully be back to sets with 110-120 in a few weeks when the elbow hopefully has healed up. That is, assuming I don’t mess it up again which I most likely will  XD

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Well, I wouldn't know. I had trained for a good while when I did it. I don't remember what I benched at the time, 350 or so maybe. If you are a beginner you wouldnt have anywhere near the work capacity to handle it I think. 

I dont know how elite athletes train, but afaik very high frequency is not uncommon. Of course, intensity would need to be taken care of carefully for the long run. 

Anyway, that's as far as my knowledge goes and I don't discuss stuff based on opinion. Hopefully someone else have more insight. 

@Lennix

@TRASH

I guess it might work for a few but not typical and not long term. And you couldn't do any accessory work.

22 hours ago, king crusher said:

Benching 4+ times a week will only end in Injury. The only way that's possible is with such a sub maximum weight that you won't put big numbers on your bench. And if you bench heavy enough that first session you wont be benching three+ more times in the next six days.

respectfully, you are wrong

It's all about maintaining perfect form together with not doing what most people do with high frequency and insert alot of garbage volume. Too many reps / week can lead to elbow problems. Form breakdown... We all know thats bad. But benching 4 times a week if properly programmed can do wonders, although me personally and for everyone I've coached either 3 times a week or 3 times per a 6 day split has worked the very best. 

You have to make sure to lift perfectly on every set, with maximum effort regardless of the weight, then you don't need to use super heavy weights all the time. It's a long topic...

yours truly, Trash 

Edited by TRASH
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TRASH said:

respectfully, you are wrong

It's all about maintaining perfect form together with not doing what most people do with high frequency and insert alot of garbage volume. Too many reps / week can lead to elbow problems. Form breakdown... We all know thats bad. But benching 4 times a week if properly programmed can do wonders, although me personally and for everyone I've coached either 3 times a week or 3 times per a 6 day split has worked the very best. 

You have to make sure to lift perfectly on every set, with maximum effort regardless of the weight, then you don't need to use super heavy weights all the time. It's a long topic...

yours truly, Trash 

Yeah 3 times a week is a lot different than "4+" times a week.

And yeah,  benching only, no accessory work. And with sub maximal weight and never hitting failure on a set and it's possible. 

Edited by king crusher

Just finished a great shoulder and tricep session. My best pressing session since the wrist started acting up. 

Single Arm Seated DB Press (using two perpendicular stacked DBs so balancing act also)

3 warm ups

70 lbs (50 + 20) - 5x each arm

80 lbs (50 + 30) - 3x each arm

90 lbs (50+ 40) - 3x each amr

100 lbs (50 + 50) - 6x right and 5x left. Rep PR since the wrist got bad each arm

90 lbs ( 50 +40) - 9x right and 8x left. was using 80 for the back off but upped it to 90 and surpassed expectation at this point. 

Finished with One arm overhead DB triceps extensions, Seated DB Side Laterals and Reverse DB Laterals

- Used more tape on the wrist this session and it definitely helped. Going to wrapping the crap out of it for upcoming sessions. Hopefully I can increase my bench during this but really wrapping heavy so I can continue to improve while it heals 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

I’m down to chip in on the prize regardless. 

as far as dollar amount, let’s shoot for the $150 range? What say you guys? More? Less? What?

also, no minimum on the donation. Putting in anything proves your serious.

Again, who will handle the money so we can begin donations?

So far there is no prize to be had.

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Just finished a great shoulder and tricep session. My best pressing session since the wrist started acting up. 

Single Arm Seated DB Press (using two perpendicular stacked DBs so balancing act also)

3 warm ups

70 lbs (50 + 20) - 5x each arm

80 lbs (50 + 30) - 3x each arm

90 lbs (50+ 40) - 3x each amr

100 lbs (50 + 50) - 6x right and 5x left. Rep PR since the wrist got bad each arm

90 lbs ( 50 +40) - 9x right and 8x left. was using 80 for the back off but upped it to 90 and surpassed expectation at this point. 

Finished with One arm overhead DB triceps extensions, Seated DB Side Laterals and Reverse DB Laterals

- Used more tape on the wrist this session and it definitely helped. Going to wrapping the crap out of it for upcoming sessions. Hopefully I can increase my bench during this but really wrapping heavy so I can continue to improve while it heals 

Awesome stuff my friend.   Glad you're on the mend.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I’m down to chip in on the prize regardless. 

as far as dollar amount, let’s shoot for the $150 range? What say you guys? More? Less? What?

also, no minimum on the donation. Putting in anything proves your serious.

Again, who will handle the money so we can begin donations?

So far there is no prize to be had.

If I were to win, I'd chose a nice, well aged, single malt scotch.  But since I have no chance, where do I paypal my donation?  🤣

• Like 1

Still just trying to build back up after 6 weeks off.  BW: 254

Bench: enough time to change weight and grab a swallow of water between sets.  Gassed on final set.  That was the only one I took to failure.

225 x 5
205 x 5
185 x 7
155 x 10
135 x 8

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Still just trying to build back up after 6 weeks off.  BW: 254

Bench: enough time to change weight and grab a swallow of water between sets.  Gassed on final set.  That was the only one I took to failure.

225 x 5
205 x 5
185 x 7
155 x 10
135 x 8

Good to see you back at it mike

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Good to see you back at it mike

Thanks Chez.  Goes away fast, but usually comes back pretty quick too.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:35 PM, king crusher said:

Hey buddy, I respectfully disagree.  I'm following the Sheiko advanced medium load; the templates are free on the sheiko website or you can buy the app on android or iOs for $20.  I've been benching 4+ times a week going on 6 weeks now.  The duration of the entire program is 20 weeks with benching 4 times per week.  I throw in an extra light day or two occasionally with some added assistance, typically tricep work, or sometimes a 4 x 6 close grip bench with ~60% of my max.  I didn't believe these low intensity, high volume programs worked, either, until I gave it a try, starting around March this year.  How the heck do you think these USAPL guys get so strong?  Definitely not following linear periodization or Bill Starr's Texas method or 5/3/1 haha.  You'll hit a brick wall quick handling poundages in the 95%+ range on a regular basis or doing too many AMRAPs.  Go pick up a copy of Super Training and read the part about the long term delayed training effect, then you'll understand how these programs can be effective.  

On 7/13/2020 at 11:02 AM, Aaron Jacobs said:

Hey buddy, I respectfully disagree.  I'm following the Sheiko advanced medium load; the templates are free on the sheiko website or you can buy the app on android or iOs for $20.  I've been benching 4+ times a week going on 6 weeks now.  The duration of the entire program is 20 weeks with benching 4 times per week.  I throw in an extra light day or two occasionally with some added assistance, typically tricep work, or sometimes a 4 x 6 close grip bench with ~60% of my max.  I didn't believe these low intensity, high volume programs worked, either, until I gave it a try, starting around March this year.  How the heck do you think these USAPL guys get so strong?  Definitely not following linear periodization or Bill Starr's Texas method or 5/3/1 haha.  You'll hit a brick wall quick handling poundages in the 95%+ range on a regular basis or doing too many AMRAPs.  Go pick up a copy of Super Training and read the part about the long term delayed training effect, then you'll understand how these programs can be effective.  

I said no ones benching 4+ times a week going to failure.  60% though I could see it being possible.  I could probably do it too if I stuck to 190lb sets not to failure.

I've heard sheiko causes a lot of Injuries though. 

So I missed my bench session at my friends garage gym guys but the good news is my gyms CT location is open and I can go there without an up charge and its only 19 mins away so I plan on having my first real gym bench session in 4 months tomorrow! Not going to lie, I am super excited! gyms in NY remain closed

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Had my first real gym session in 4 months today (drove to ct cause gyms are open there). Was suppose to be yesterday but work got crazy. Got there late 

worked up to a double on bench with 285 4th working set. Spotter told me I definitely had another and I totally did but I decided to play it smart with the wrist. Worked up to 260 for a triple incline 3rd working set. Then threw in extra volume on the hammer strength incline for 3 sets and did 4 sets of pec deck flys with the two heaviest at 225. I had to rush cause I got to the gym with like 45 mins left so very little rest between sets and they make you wear a mask and I sweat lot so I had to fight from drowning in my own sweat lol 

wrist is getting better and I’m getting strength back by the week and it was awesome being in a real gym again 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Had my first real gym session in 4 months today (drove to ct cause gyms are open there). Was suppose to be yesterday but work got crazy. Got there late 

worked up to a double on bench with 285 4th working set. Spotter told me I definitely had another and I totally did but I decided to play it smart with the wrist. Worked up to 260 for a triple incline 3rd working set. Then threw in extra volume on the hammer strength incline for 3 sets and did 4 sets of pec deck flys with the two heaviest at 225. I had to rush cause I got to the gym with like 45 mins left so very little rest between sets and they make you wear a mask and I sweat lot so I had to fight from drowning in my own sweat lol 

wrist is getting better and I’m getting strength back by the week and it was awesome being in a real gym again 

Omg you had to wear a mask during your wo? I'd have kept my nose out of the mask. No way that's healthy. 

3 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Omg you had to wear a mask during your wo? I'd have kept my nose out of the mask. No way that's healthy. 

I have an N95 cause my family got it for me so it’s the only mask I have and tons of sweat was collecting it. I sweat more than anyone I have ever met. And I broke my nose when I was young so they could only set it by hand cause I wasn’t finished growing and I never got it really fixed as an adult so I’m a mouth breather.....the mask was getting sucked in when I was breathing heavy cause I was rushing 

10 hours ago, Chez said:

I have an N95 cause my family got it for me so it’s the only mask I have and tons of sweat was collecting it. I sweat more than anyone I have ever met. And I broke my nose when I was young so they could only set it by hand cause I wasn’t finished growing and I never got it really fixed as an adult so I’m a mouth breather.....the mask was getting sucked in when I was breathing heavy cause I was rushing 

Yeah you are setting yourself up for problems wearing a mask. I'd strongly recommend not wearing one. Especially while working out. 

1 minute ago, king crusher said:

Yeah you are setting yourself up for problems wearing a mask. I'd strongly recommend not wearing one. Especially while working out. 

No choice. Gym requires it. 

• Like 1

I’ve been saying for years I can’t stand gyms. Yeah, they got lots of fancy stuff. But also lots of rules. And I highly doubt anyone that goes to gyms, that also touts about how much nice equipment the gym has, and how they could never afford the same equipment, even uses 30% of that “nice” equipment when they go. Also, its crazy to me the thought of paying to workout. Essentially, your paying someone so you can work. I get that equipment costs money. But if you buy it or build it yourself and workout at home it’s not the same. I can sell any equipment I’ve made or bought for cost of materials, or more, and get my money right back. So it’s like it’s free. Also can’t stand the thought of waiting on someone to get done using whatever I need to use. I would already be wasting time away from working out by simply driving to and from the gym. Then add whatever wait times you spend waiting on someone else to get out of the way. Oh... and don’t forget your paying for all that time wasted..

then there is the added factor of nasty ass people around you while your trying to do you. Encroaching on your every breath with their offensive stench. Or their coughing, sneezing, grunting, farting, or sweating on everything. Or attempting to make awkward eye contact with you, or side eye you so to watch you every time you move. Or rushing you out of the way so they can move in and do some retarded and ugly form of movement. I’ll pass.

build a home gym and be independent from being extorted and inconvenienced during your workouts.

I wish Tommy I’m in NY and live in an apartment so right now I am at the mercy of the gym