Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

On 5/24/2020 at 2:38 PM, Chez said:

Good stuff Mike. The hits keep coming for me. I have a wrist issue now. Icing like a mad man. Did a shoulder workout yesterday and once I get to a certain weight the left wrist hurts

My left one gives me fits benching on occasion now.  My wide grip doesn't help.  It's that same pain you get doing a hammer lever to your face.  Wrist wraps allow me to keep benching pain-free.  Heal up quick!

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

My left one gives me fits benching on occasion now.  My wide grip doesn't help.  It's that same pain you get doing a hammer lever to your face.  Wrist wraps allow me to keep benching pain-free.  Heal up quick!

I tried wraps but still lots of pain. Well good news guys. I reached out to Luke Raymond since hes a PT and one of us and he immediately knew where the pain was and gave his diagnosis and after watching youtube videos I think hes right. I found a wrapping technique for it. I tested it tonight with push ups on dumbbells handles to see if I felt pain and felt none. As most of you know I am a big boy. I use to weigh almost 300 lbs but I am down to 280 lbs so push ups puts a decent amount of weight on my wrist. Goal tomorrow is a top set on flat bench with paused reps with 225 as I continue to rehab the pec so with the wrapping technique I should be ok. 

Always gotta to find a way to keep moving forward. Icing the wrist constantly also and doing rehab stretching and blood flow exercises. I am a stubborn dude. I am not out of this.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

B0018C3A-818E-4817-B677-3AE046B948DD.jpeg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

I hate you. That's all. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

I see a pen impression of 200x3 a few lines down. He's already benching 440 for a triple guys he is sandbagging us lol

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I see a pen impression of 200x3 a few lines down. He's already benching 440 for a triple guys he is sandbagging us lol

If only...

• Like 2

Did 110 kg for a set of 6 reps last sunday. Will try 120 kg this sunday and see how many reps I can do.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I hate you. That's all. 

I hate you and Eric.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Did 110 kg for a set of 6 reps last sunday. Will try 120 kg this sunday and see how many reps I can do.

Very nice set Wiggy!

57 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Nice set. Thats my regular grip basically.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, king crusher said:

Nice set. Thats my regular grip basically.  

Me too. I find this has the best carryover to other physical endeavors.

• Like 2

120 kg for a set of 4 today. Butt came off but I don’t care too much about that. Will try 130 kg next week.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, David_wigren said:

120 kg for a set of 4 today. Butt came off but I don’t care too much about that. Will try 130 kg next week.

Very strong David! 

4 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Very strong David! 

Thank you Michelangelo!

Hit the 90's for 27 reps. Ties my rep pr but this was a better set.

Did something different after. I've done one at a time before but gotta get creative to make it harder.  Did five at a time so when the other side is still, its paused at the bottom. 70x20. Tough!

• Like 3

Best bench day for me since the pec tweak and wrist started acting up. Been rehabbing like crazy. Wrapping it, ice, heat, stretching and rehab exercises and even doing red light therapy and it feels better. Only mild discomfort on the top sets as I continue to ramp up and the pec also feels great coming back from the strain

Flat Barbell Bench Press

3 warm ups 

185 - 10x

205 - 5x

225 - 5x

245 - 5x

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 - 5x

205 - 5x

225- 5x

Barbell Floor Press

225 - 3x

250 - 3x

275 - 2x. Could have gotten a third but decided to save it for next week. Most weight so most pressure on the wrist 

245 - 3x

Tricep straight bar push downs 

50 lbs on plates - 4 sets of 25x. Left elbow has been acting up so I decided to go lighter weight and higher reps to give it a break. 

- buddy is coming over Friday so I may throw in high rep sets of incline and flat DB bench with as well for extra work. Icing the wrist as I type this 

• Like 5

Some press work and triceps tonight. Also did farmers walks and pinch work but the pressing is relevant to this thread and goal 

Seated One Arm Dumbbell Overhead Press 

3 warm ups 

70 lbs - 5x each arm 

80 lbs - 5x each arm 

90 lbs - 3x each arm 

100 lbs - 3x right and 2x left. The left wrist makes this hard plus that elbow has been cranky and since I’m using 2 50 lb DBs stacked the left has less coordination making it harder on that side 

80 lbs - 10x each arm

note - fitness room only has up to 50 lb DBs so I’m using two DBs. A 50 and another stacked perpendicular on top. This makes it tougher since it’s a balancing act. 

seated one arm DB tricep extension 

30 lb DB - 4 sets of 15x. Going to take it easy with the triceps work by doing higher reps for a bit to let the left elbow rest up

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

338.5lb. close grip.  About to turn 40 in a few months but not gonna get to 400lb. by then which sucks.  Attempted 350lb. before this, got it off the chest fine but hit a sticking point about mid-way and failed.  Moving the grip out to pinkies on rings in future workouts; I'm sure that will give me another 15lb. once I adjust; built a ton of tricep strength with the narrow grip.  Also took 425lb. out of the rack for a hold, tried to do a negative but lost control about halfway down.  The video - 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Aaron Jacobs said:

338.5lb. close grip.  About to turn 40 in a few months but not gonna get to 400lb. by then which sucks.  Attempted 350lb. before this, got it off the chest fine but hit a sticking point about mid-way and failed.  Moving the grip out to pinkies on rings in future workouts; I'm sure that will give me another 15lb. once I adjust; built a ton of tricep strength with the narrow grip.  Also took 425lb. out of the rack for a hold, tried to do a negative but lost control about halfway down.  The video - 

Strong work!

04F5F2FD-8C6C-48F2-85A2-B76F6F635DDB.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Aaron Jacobs said:

Damn Strong Aaron!  You don't have to do 400 before you turn 40.  You just have to do it when you're 40. 🙂  So you have an extra 365 days.  You definitely have a great shot at it.

20 hours ago, Aaron Jacobs said:

Nice! That view out the garage looks nice too appears to be a mountain type setting with that style of tree.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Ok 400lb. before I turn 41 it is.  I live 40 west miles of Colorado Springs on the other side of Pikes Peak mountain.  Its the 8,300 ft elevation that gives me my mojo.  Time to start benching 4 days per week now.  Won't max out again until September.  

• Like 3

First time under a barbell bench in about 12 weeks. And first time back in the gym after covid cold fiasco. 

Just was seeing where I was at after only using dbs for a few mo and only 90lbs at that. 

Warmed up good. 45x20x3, 95x10x2, 135x5x2, 185x5, 205x3, 225x3, 255x2, 275x1 paused, 285x1 paused. I'd guess my max paused is about 295 right now today. I didn't push to max though being first time back.

Dropped to 225 and got 13

https://youtu.be/6YUvPhIGDXs

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, king crusher said:

First time under a barbell bench in about 12 weeks. And first time back in the gym after covid cold fiasco. 

Just was seeing where I was at after only using dbs for a few mo and only 90lbs at that. 

Warmed up good. 45x20x3, 95x10x2, 135x5x2, 185x5, 205x3, 225x3, 255x2, 275x1 paused, 285x1 paused. I'd guess my max paused is about 295 right now today. I didn't push to max though being first time back.

Dropped to 225 and got 13

https://youtu.be/6YUvPhIGDXs

Great work!