Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Wow. Great work. Crazy fast progress 

Yes!  And that's why I'm predicting you'll beat your all-time best, Mike.

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Thanks 1

Honestly the real reason I've made such fast progress is the fat progress.  Weighed myself this morning.   Knew I had put some of the weight back on, didn't realize I had put 25 back on.😲😳🥺

269 this morning.   Was 244 when I joined this race.  Lol

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Honestly the real reason I've made such fast progress is the fat progress.  Weighed myself this morning.   Knew I had put some of the weight back on, didn't realize I had put 26 back on.😲😳🥺

269 this morning.   Was 244 when I joined this race.  Lol

I hear ya. I've been intentionally bulking a little during this shutdown.  I'm about 209-210 right now. Was around 203-04 start of lockdown 

Rebounded Nicely from my cruddy Bench Session Last week (that session really pissed me off). Went up in weight or reps on everything. Everything felt much lighter. Only had one miss and I think its cause I wasn't in good position (oh well, something to improve upon next week)

Flat Barbell Bench Press

4 warm up sets

255 lbs - 4 sets of 5x. no problem

300 lbs - no problem at all. 

215 lbs - 14x AMRAP. I probably could have gutted out another rep but I decided to save it. 

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x

Barbell Floor Press - each rep paused

245 lbs (low rack position cause my buddy is much shorter than me) - 3x

275 lbs (Higher rack position) - 2x

300 lbs (higher rack position) - miss. the one miss of the workout. I think I wasn't in great position. Oh well, next time.

245 lbs (low rack position) - 5x

Straight Bar Triceps Push down

100 lbs in plates - 4 sets of 12x

Had my board presentation today remotely and it went well. Grippers this weekend! onward!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Rebounded Nicely from my cruddy Bench Session Last week (that session really pissed me off). Went up in weight or reps on everything. Everything felt much lighter. Only had one miss and I think its cause I wasn't in good position (oh well, something to improve upon next week)

Flat Barbell Bench Press

4 warm up sets

215 lbs - 14x AMRAP. I probably could have gutted out another rep but I decided to save it. 

185 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x

300 lbs (higher rack position) - miss. the one miss of the workout. I think I wasn't in great position. Oh well, next time.

Had my board presentation today remotely and it went well. Grippers this weekend! onward!

You're overdue for a video! Pop up said I'm out of reactions today. How dare they limit my loves lol

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, king crusher said:

You're overdue for a video! 

That's true. I'll try and take one next week of my Flat Bench sets.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

Flat Barbell Bench Press

4 warm up sets

185 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x

I too am out of likes.  Great stuff Chez!  

• Like 1

I always like to get the heavy single and then drop back down for reps.  That way I can really max.  You ever try that?

Thanks fellas. Crazy how much lighter everything felt this week. I was struggling big time last week. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I always like to get the heavy single and then drop back down for reps.  That way I can really max.  You ever try that?

ya, I like the back off set. After going heavy It really makes the back off weight feel light. I would definitely hit a higher single if I went for it first. following a program that has worked for me in the past but once I am done with the cycle I will try a max and then back off for working sets. 

Edited by Chez

32 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

That's how I do it most every time doing any of the big three

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Flat Barbell Bench Press

4 warm up sets

185 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x

Just like you prophesied. Nice rebound, Chez!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Just like you prophesied. Nice rebound, Chez!

Thanks Eric!

Somewhat OK news ... for the past 3 weeks, I’ve been benching feet-up on the bench.  Benching this way has caused almost no neck pain.  Numbers are down, but I just hit 300 for a decent rep a few days ago this way at BW 208.  Going to stick with this for a few more weeks, then who knows?

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Somewhat OK news ... for the past 3 weeks, I’ve been benching feet-up on the bench.  Benching this way has caused almost no neck pain.  Numbers are down, but I just hit 300 for a decent rep a few days ago this way at BW 208.  Going to stick with this for a few more weeks, then who knows?

Encouraging news! And that’s some strong benchin’!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Nice.  I've always thrown those into the mix.  I feel they really hit the chest well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

That's awesome news buddy!  1.5 x bw with feet up is no joke serious weight!

• Like 1

13A6E414-C57F-4E4E-8F28-978D9CFA33E5.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

13A6E414-C57F-4E4E-8F28-978D9CFA33E5.jpeg

good stuff Eric. Just starting adding floor press in your routine? It took me a while to get use to them. I definitely see the benefits though. I was naturally weak on them when I first started. I was doing them on a smith machine at the gym because my gym didn't have a free weight set for them but the smith machine was a new version which allowed both vertical and horizontal movement. Now I am doing them free weight at my friends house and I can tell I am getting even more benefit. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Chez said:

good stuff Eric. Just starting adding floor press in your routine? It took me a while to get use to them. I definitely see the benefits though. I was naturally weak on them when I first started. I was doing them on a smith machine at the gym because my gym didn't have a free weight set for them but the smith machine was a new version which allowed both vertical and horizontal movement. Now I am doing them free weight at my friends house and I can tell I am getting even more benefit. 

Thank you! 

Can Crusher suggested I try them. I definitely felt a significant leverage disadvantage, despite the limited range of motion. Perhaps this is an indication they could be beneficial. You’ve given me some incentive to experiment further with them!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Thank you! 

Can Crusher suggested I try them. I definitely felt a significant leverage disadvantage, despite the limited range of motion. Perhaps this is an indication they could be beneficial. You’ve given me some incentive to experiment further with them!

Can crusher! A 1950's soup can would be manly but a soda can today is girly man stuff ha.

Do you guys feel it in your triceps? That's what I noticed right away. Had a bit of a tricep pump after one set with the dumbbells

• Haha 1

Louie Simmons says the floor press is to bench what the box squat is to squatting.  Because your arms are parallel and supported at the bottom you are basically in a 100% deload at the weakest point of the press, where you transition from pecs and shoulders to triceps.

Louie said that if you are doing them correctly, you should not be able to do as much as a full bp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, king crusher said:

Can crusher! A 1950's soup can would be manly but a soda can today is girly man stuff ha.

Do you guys feel it in your triceps? That's what I noticed right away. Had a bit of a tricep pump after one set with the dumbbells

Sorry, King. 

Yes, it seemed to turn down the dial on pecs and turn it up on arms. 

But thinking I may replace them with pin presses from the same position. 

Edited by EricMilfeld

On 4/23/2020 at 7:59 AM, EricMilfeld said:

On 4/23/2020 at 7:59 AM, EricMilfeld said:

On 4/23/2020 at 8:22 AM, king crusher said:

Nice.  I've always thrown those into the mix.  I feel they really hit the chest well.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

That's awesome news buddy!  1.5 x bw with feet up is no joke serious weight!

Thanks guys!

6 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Sorry, King. 

Yes, it seemed to turn down the dial on pecs and turn it up on arms. 

But thinking I may replace them with pin presses from the same position. 

Let us know how they compare for you.

I was doing some sets of floor presses paused so like Mike said,  your triceps are resting on the floor. Works good

• Like 1