Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

My wife found this video yesterday. When I was fit and very explosive. 275 lb x 13 -BWT 210 lbs.

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 1

No one:

Mike: (who was literally called out early in the thread, respectfully.. but was too scared to throw his hat in the ring and declined.):

“look at this video from eons ago that someone else (but not me!…) randomly decided to dig up of my best set in my life! Oh! And all of you are weak! Im one of those guys that thinks I’m stronger naturally than 99.9999% of men who have ever lived. And the only reason anyone ever out-lifts me is because they aren’t natty! And they are weak. …but any time any guy on gear replies to my jargon and tells me to go on gear and prove I’m stronger than them, I decline. Because I’m righteous! I won’t do that! Because I’m a righteous good guy! And only bad people do that! In fact!… I’m SO righteous, that it’s not totally contradictory to the picture I’m trying to paint of myself as being a righteous wholesome good guy that I jump in here in an unsolicited manner and be as hateful as I can. I’m allowed to be a hypocrite about my integrity. Because I gave myself permission to!

oh! And no, I’ve never benched 375 or more in my life. under any circumstances. Ever. nor do I intend to. Just wanted to show you guys this stellar performance. That I am very proud of. And you should be too! Believe me! Please!? I’m so strong! I matter to you guys! And what I think matters to you guys! Right?….”

no Mike. You don’t. At all. The only way for you to make waves in this thread is to skip trying to compare apples to oranges, and put your hat in the ring, right now. and attempt to out bench everyone here. Or even get close, for that matter..

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, Tommy J. said:

My brother from another mother and I were just tossing some short term lift goals back and forth. After bouncing some numbers back and forth, we decided that a 375 T&G raw bench would be the first one we race to! Obviously there are more long term lift goals still in our sights. But this one seems appropriate for the months to come to keep us both motivated, AND working. And making a thread for it just happened!

You guys are welcome to join us! And so to keep the thread lively, I intend to only post vids of max attempts here. If you guys post in a workout log, no need to post workouts here. Max lifts only! This thread will go as long as it needs to with max attempts until Eric and I both hit 375. And again, you are welcome to join us! Also, feel free to talk smack or motivate! We ain’t thin skinned!

Eric, it’s on ninja!

Hope you guys don't mind me attaching one of my recent training clips, here's a 330 x 3 for a final heavy set. 

Realistically I can do 355 for a paused single. I compete in powerlifting and all my presses are paused (even my overheads lol) 

I really want to get that 375 in the next 2-3 months. There will be a contest in February where I will try to get it. Also did it with a bounce off the chest earlier last year but my friend had his hands on the bar so in my eyes that doesn't count. 

I left it a little behind in the summer cause I was training for a strongman contest so I focused on overheads and axle pulls etc. But since October bench is back on the menu. Best of luck on your training 💪

*jump to 02:08 for that heavy set 

Edited by Terry Gripperaddicted
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and trolled the thread title a bit. If someone jumps in to correct me I’ll gladly change it back and leave the race open.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:35 AM, Tommy J. said:

I went ahead and trolled the thread title a bit. If someone jumps in to correct me I’ll gladly change it back and leave the race open.

You did it, Tommy! You might have to buy yourself that bottle, though. Doesn’t look like the other participants are going to come through. Damn shame!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JasonD said:

You did it, Tommy! You might have to buy yourself that bottle, though. Doesn’t look like the other participants are going to come through. Damn shame!

Let me know where to paypal my share Tommy.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 12:10 PM, JasonD said:

Hey Mike! Hope you’re doing well, buddy.

Doin good buddy.  Just getting old.  

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 11:21 PM, JasonD said:

On 12/18/2021 at 9:27 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

Let me know where to paypal my share Tommy.

Thanks fellas! Hold kudos tho. I want to see someone win it natty.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice job, Tommy, you win.  I intend to do it natty, give me a year or two.  I stopped posting and cut back on training over a year ago when the heavy volume caused elbow tendinitis issues.  I’m back to my old form now and making progress again.  Turns out my elbows can’t handle one arm tricep extensions with 40lb+ dumbbells.  I’m moving to the burbs in the next few months and going to get coached at Elevate Barbell by some world class IPF guys.  Doing my own programming has cost me years of progress. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 7:09 PM, acorn said:

Nice Job Tommy. I am working on getting back up there this year. 

Thanks dude! And it’s great to see you posting again!

I remember hearing you had a couple kinks or injuries or something sort of holding you back? what I got was vague… apologies if I’m out of line asking. 🙏🏻

regardless, I hope all is well and look forward to seeing you back at it!

11 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Thanks dude! And it’s great to see you posting again!

I remember hearing you had a couple kinks or injuries or something sort of holding you back? what I got was vague… apologies if I’m out of line asking. 🙏🏻

regardless, I hope all is well and look forward to seeing you back at it!

Thanks Tommy,

I made it up to roughly 420 bench range in early 2020 including a nice triple at 375. Then got real sick (probably early covid before tests were available), then tore my left bicep tendon off the bone trying to catch our new dog when he got out (half Great Dane, half Greyhound, big and fast). After surgery and recovery period on the arm depression had taken hold so it was about 16 months before I started training again in 2021. I'm 50lbs lighter now than when I was back up over 400lbs and all that time off took its toll. But trying to get back up to a reasonable level for a nearly 50yr old ex-athlete. 375 might be a good start, roughly 320 range right now as of last workout.

- Aaron

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6d5SHLAGmf/

Edited by acorn
adding link
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 10:41 AM, acorn said:

Thanks Tommy,

I made it up to roughly 420 bench range in early 2020 including a nice triple at 375. Then got real sick (probably early covid before tests were available), then tore my left bicep tendon off the bone trying to catch our new dog when he got out (half Great Dane, half Greyhound, big and fast). After surgery and recovery period on the arm depression had taken hold so it was about 16 months before I started training again in 2021. I'm 50lbs lighter now than when I was back up over 400lbs and all that time off took its toll. But trying to get back up to a reasonable level for a nearly 50yr old ex-athlete. 375 might be a good start, roughly 320 range right now as of last workout.

- Aaron

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6d5SHLAGmf/

Damn! Still stout after hitting all those bumps!

well… I’ll be dropping in on here once in a while to see what’s up. And I’m hoping to send somebody a bottle before summer!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got an easy 320# last workout followed by 7x275#. Probably would have tried for a double if I had a spotter at the time. Putting in the time now to get back up there.

- Aaron

• Like 2