Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

On 6/24/2021 at 5:22 PM, Tommy J. said:

Pausing the weight I highlighted for 6 reps = a paused single at over 355lbs That is excellent for under 200lbs! And  if your doing that raw you are obviously built to bench. Hell, you’re not far off 375 for a paused rep right now.

Yeah all raw. No wrist-wraps either but I occasionally use chalk. I've done 375 touch-and-go but not paused. My gym was closed for a while last year and I got into a serious relationship and decided to focus on that instead. In turn, my gains from May 2018- September 2019 training suffered. Max bench fell to around 320 touch-and-go.

If you check out my YT channel you can see how I'm built, I suppose I look more like a bodybuilder (I definitely have a frame and build for that over a powerlifter's body).

If anyone wants to dramatically improve their bench, I recommend Stickland's program. It uses more volume and you really hit the back and pectoral muscles hard. But goodness results have been phenomenal. 

• Like 1

Had a great bench session today and hit some rep/volume PRs. Next week I will attempt a fresh PR and see how it goes 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Had a great bench session today and hit some rep/volume PRs. Next week I will attempt a fresh PR and see how it goes 

What is your goal weight for the attempt kind sir?

10 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

What is your goal weight for the attempt kind sir?

So I have hit 330 twice in the past month after 4 triples of 280 One time and 4 triples of 285 just the other day. So it was fatigued. For some reason I just can’t figure out how to probably warm up for a fresh max. Just going to go for a baby pr of 335. I really need to figure out what works for me when warming up for a fresh max effort 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Chez said:

So I have hit 330 twice in the past month after 4 triples of 280 One time and 4 triples of 285 just the other day. So it was fatigued. For some reason I just can’t figure out how to probably warm up for a fresh max. Just going to go for a baby pr of 335. I really need to figure out what works for me when warming up for a fresh max effort 

That's a lot of work before a max attempt.   I like to use something like this to make sure I'm not zapped beforehand.  Let's say I was going for a 340 max:

Bar x 20

95 x 10

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 2 or 3

275 x 1

315 x 1

340 x 1

Use the lighter weights to get the muscles warm and the doubles and singles to get used to the weight.  None of the reps should be hard.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 4

On 7/2/2021 at 3:59 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

That's a lot of work before a max attempt.   I like to use something like this to make sure I'm not zapped beforehand.  Let's say I was going for a 340 max:

Bar x 20

95 x 10

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 2 or 3

275 x 1

315 x 1

340 x 1

Use the lighter weights to get the muscles warm and the doubles and singles to get used to the weight.  None of the reps should be hard.

This looks a lot like my warmups.

Always start with just the bar, but go way high reps to fill the area with blood that I will be needing it. Not kidding, 100+ bar reps.

bar-100+
2-3 minute break and light stretching of the shoulders and neck

135x15 or 20 reps

2-3 minute break

185x3-5

2-3 minute break

225x3 speed reps

2-3 minute break

275x2 paused reps

2-3 minute break

315x1 paused (edit- this is paused and then pressed as fast as I can to lockout. The bar speed on this rep is my biggest indicator of how my max attempt might go)

3-4 minute break

then go for max

That has been nearly my identical warmup for about 10 months. Regardless of what 1rm I’m attempting. That was roughly the sam warmup I did at 340’ish, and is still roughly the same warmup I did for 385.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2

Thanks gentlemen, I plan to max tomorrow. I will start with a baby PR and if I have more in me I will give myself plenty of rest (5-7 mins) and up the weight again 

• Like 2

Hit the 335 bench today no problem with more in the tank. Video below. 

then hit 285 for 4 sets of triples and finished with 250 x 10.  Then was also strong on floor press, incline DB press and Pec deck. Going to attempt 340-345 Bench next week. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Hit the 335 bench today no problem with more in the tank. Video below. 

then hit 285 for 4 sets of triples and finished with 250 x 10.  Then was also strong on floor press, incline DB press and Pec deck. Going to attempt 340-345 Bench next week. 

Nice job Chez!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Nice job Chez!

Thanks mike. Finally breaking through some plateaus 

• Like 1

I dig the close grip Chez. Based off many of the bench titans and their bench technique, no one can convince me any grip besides a fairly narrow one is best for bench. Strickland, Harris, and most of the 700+ benchers, including Julius, all use a fairly narrow grip per their size. With kirill being the exception. But even still, kirill still isn’t that wide on his grip when taking his size into consideration, even when he opens up and lets his index fingers ride the rings.

narrow protects the pecs and shoulders, and also allows more front delt and tricep to assist the pecs.

vs wide where the entire load is practically on your pecs in a vulnerable position.

Unless you are 6f5+, then your not gonna be able to get proper elbow tuck while also going as legally wide as you can (with the common powerlifting meet rule that if you go wide, some part of the inner edge of your hand has to be touching the rings. Vs there being no ring touching rule when you go narrow and inside the rings.)

so to engage as many muscles and overall tension as possible, hand placement roughly no wider than your shoulders is ideal.

your nailing it!

stay strong big guy! Still rooting for you!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I dig the close grip Chez. Based off many of the bench titans and their bench technique, no one can convince me any grip besides a fairly narrow one is best for bench. Strickland, Harris, and most of the 700+ benchers, including Julius, all use a fairly narrow grip per their size. With kirill being the exception. But even still, kirill still isn’t that wide on his grip when taking his size into consideration, even when he opens up and lets his index fingers ride the rings.

narrow protects the pecs and shoulders, and also allows more front delt and tricep to assist the pecs.

vs wide where the entire load is practically on your pecs in a vulnerable position.

Unless you are 6f5+, then your not gonna be able to get proper elbow tuck while also going as legally wide as you can (with the common powerlifting meet rule that if you go wide, some part of the inner edge of your hand has to be touching the rings. Vs there being no ring touching rule when you go narrow and inside the rings.)

so to engage as many muscles and overall tension as possible, hand placement roughly no wider than your shoulders is ideal.

your nailing it!

stay strong big guy! Still rooting for you!

thanks Tommy. We actually just had a guy tare his pec benching at our gym. I siwtched to this closer grip after a couple pec tweaks. It just feels safer and more natural for me. My arms are crazy long though but I would rather be safe and comfortable 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, Chez said:

thanks Tommy. We actually just had a guy tare his pec benching at our gym. I siwtched to this closer grip after a couple pec tweaks. It just feels safer and more natural for me. My arms are crazy long though but I would rather be safe and comfortable 

I hate hearing that man. I wouldn’t wish a torn pec on anyone! It’s such a necessary muscle for so many movements!.. 

…although I have been known to wish a time or two for a mf’er to stub their little toe on the coffee table! Lol!

another cool thing about the close grip is you get to skip the bulk of whatever tricep accessory movements you may have had to do when you benched wider. Because they get play while you bench with the close grip. The closer grip is better on all fronts for a guy chasing strength. ….i prolly sound like a broken record. But hey!… the guys front running this thread are either narrow benchers, or narrowER benchers than the muster. Jussayin’

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Attempted 340 yesterday guys but I just missed it at lock out. I didn’t feel as “on” as the 335 session. I will rebound and get revenge on this....picture below is the max where I got it to

FD7DD6B2-C0A9-4190-8316-484BBE6745F9.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Speaking of narrow grips, I’ve been going narrow for a long time. Had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders over ten years ago. I never did go wide, though. I think ring fingers, on the rings, was the widest.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 10:13 PM, JasonD said:

Speaking of narrow grips, I’ve been going narrow for a long time. Had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders over ten years ago. I never did go wide, though. I think ring fingers, on the rings, was the widest.

Dayum! Okay if you are in the race I would call that a wrap! Will you be naming your whiskey or choice?

10 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Dayum! Okay if you are in the race I would call that a wrap! Will you be naming your whiskey or choice?

No sir, I’m not in the race. Just participating in the discussion.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 2:03 PM, JasonD said:

No sir, I’m not in the race. Just participating in the discussion.

Ah okay

well from the looks of things I’d guess you could maybe get a double touch and go with 4 plates. And definitely a solid paused single with 4 plates+

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still training for this. Tonight I felt crazy explosive on bench. I moved 325 lbs like a speed rep. It’s by far the fastest and easiest I have ever pressed this 

• Like 1

Thought I would give an update on my bench progress... 

Note I am taking my training and progression slowly to avoid injury.

355 x 2 paused (missed 3rd rep), 

355x1

Finished with 285x9 for volume work 

Going for 408 in 5 weeks at sub-200 pound/ 91 kilo bodyweight. Currently hovering around 197 pounds / 89 kilos.

Some may ask how the number 408 was derived - I will be using calibrated steel plates. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Thought I would give an update on my bench progress... 

Note I am taking my training and progression slowly to avoid injury.

355 x 2 paused (missed 3rd rep), 

355x1

Finished with 285x9 for volume work 

Going for 408 in 5 weeks at sub-200 pound/ 91 kilo bodyweight. Currently hovering around 197 pounds / 89 kilos.

Some may ask how the number 408 was derived - I will be using calibrated steel plates. 

Sets like these are the ones that actually build the best strength. I’m not a big fan of doubles and singles unless you do 5+ sets of them.

regardless, strong benching! Your an elite bencher with the double BW territory.

also, no need at all to explain the 408. My plates are calibrated as well and my setup with 4 plates a barbell and 2 collars comes to exactly 407. So I get it.

I saw you enquired about being from Texas. I am as well. If you ever decide to come up and do a grip session with Adam and Tanner, be fresh for bench and I’ll bench with you. Actually have an awesome bench setup at the house with calibrated plates, a Fat Pad, and a rack with safety pins. I’ve got elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, slingshots, you name it.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, Tommy J. said:

Sets like these are the ones that actually build the best strength. I’m not a big fan of doubles and singles unless you do 5+ sets of them.

regardless, strong benching! Your an elite bencher with the double BW territory.

also, no need at all to explain the 408. My plates are calibrated as well and my setup with 4 plates a barbell and 2 collars comes to exactly 407. So I get it.

I saw you enquired about being from Texas. I am as well. If you ever decide to come up and do a grip session with Adam and Tanner, be fresh for bench and I’ll bench with you. Actually have an awesome bench setup at the house with calibrated plates, a Fat Pad, and a rack with safety pins. I’ve got elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, slingshots, you name it.

Lets do it! Let me finish this bench program and close my #3.5. Can't believe you guys are from Texas, wow! Lets do some benching and grip stuff, also I want to do some wrist stuff as I know Adam has world class/best in the world plate curls! I would love to do some training with y'all! 

I'm down between Houston and Galveston, you guys are up in DFW?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Lets do it! Let me finish this bench program and close my #3.5. Can't believe you guys are from Texas, wow! Lets do some benching and grip stuff, also I want to do some wrist stuff as I know Adam has world class/best in the world plate curls! I would love to do some training with y'all! 

I'm down between Houston and Galveston, you guys are up in DFW?

Tanner is in DFW still. Eric, Adam, and I are all west of DFW now in Parker county. Morgan lives in DFW also btw. But he is super busy with his job as a college professor and rarely makes it out. Clay Edgin also lives in Austin and has made it up a handful of times and kicked it with us. Stephen is only a couple hours away in Oklahoma and has made it down quite a few times as well. Isaac is another strong one that’s from Texas. We also have another monster new to the grip scene who is also an elite powerlifter who trains with us, David Troutt. It’s a pretty heavy hitting group to say the least. Usually we all meet up at Adams place since he has the largest property and parking is never an issue. But if your wanting to bench when you come up you’ll prefer my crib. And it’s not a problem to get everyone to meet up at my place for a practice. Just shoot one of us a week or so notice when you decide to head up so we can all clear our schedules and you can meet everyone at 1 time.

• Like 2