Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

9 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

3 plates for 5 reps tonight

Supa dupa strong!

• Thanks 1

So my PR attempt week on bench and shoulder press didn’t go well. I spent time analyzing what went wrong and I plan making tweaks this cycle. Already finished week 2 for both. 

7 hours ago, Chez said:

So my PR attempt week on bench and shoulder press didn’t go well. I spent time analyzing what went wrong and I plan making tweaks this cycle. Already finished week 2 for both. 

It happens. I was sort of stalled for almost 10 months before I started seeing movement.

I know I’m not posting workouts atm. And no one is asking.. lol! But what I’m doing looks like this

Bench every 5th day

every other workout I go for an AMRAP set at somewhere between 60-75%. pretty loose on what % I choose and will sometimes get up to 80%. Then every other workout I do a heavy AMRAP set. 90-95%. Which is usually just doubles or triples, and sometimes up to 5 reps if I’m stronger than expected for the day. I definitely leave a rep in the tank on the lighter AMRAP days. But on the heavy days I’ll push a little harder and maybe leave a half rep in the tank. But I do try to avoid going all the way to failure.

On bench days I warm up carefully, no matter what workout I’m doing for the day. So the AMRAP sets are the top sets.

I don’t mess with any accessory work on bench days. Not always anyway.. if I’m feelin froggy I’ll throw in some DB flys, or tricep stuff on the end of the workout. But I prefer to let bench day just be bench day.

I’ll mix it up occasionally with either elbow sleeves or no elbow sleeves, or the SS. Regardless of what gear I put on I stick to what I laid out above with the %’ages.

it’s worth noting tho that my SS max is obviously different from my sleeved max. And my sleeved max is slightly more than my raw max. So I just adjust the weight accordingly, while still sticking to the % based AMRAP sets. I’m not exactly taking 3 Max’s every time I max though. So I sort of have to guess the weights on days I switch up gear. Typically for me the sleeves give 5-8lbs. the red SS gives roughly 35lbs, and the MD gives about 45-50lbs to a 1rm.

probably not the most genius approach.. only seeing baby steps. but just like the less than handful of other workouts I try, it’s relatively safe, and I’m gonna stay with it till it stops working.

recap:

Bench every 5th day

Workout 1: warmup, then AMRAP somewhere between 60-80% ~ leave a rep in the tank on this day!

Workout 2: warmup, then AMRAP at 90-95% ~ don’t go all the way to failure!

whatever gear you use, stick to the percentages and just adjust the weight accordingly.

easy.

I hope this helps. 🤷🏼‍♂️

edit: also worth noting that I use a 1rm calculator every workout. For me those calculators are super accurate. So if I hit a pr on some reps at a said weight, I’ll adjust my percentages the next workout based off what I did the last workout. In doing this, I’m not blindly adhering to percentages based off a max I took a month or two prior. 

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

It happens. I was sort of stalled for almost 10 months before I started seeing movement.

I know I’m not posting workouts atm. And no one is asking.. lol! But what I’m doing looks like this

Bench every 5th day

every other workout I go for an AMRAP set at somewhere between 60-75%. pretty loose on what % I choose and will sometimes get up to 80%. Then every other workout I do a heavy AMRAP set. 90-95%. Which is usually just doubles or triples, and sometimes up to 5 reps if I’m stronger than expected for the day. I definitely leave a rep in the tank on the lighter AMRAP days. But on the heavy days I’ll push a little harder and maybe leave a half rep in the tank. But I do try to avoid going all the way to failure.

On bench days I warm up carefully, no matter what workout I’m doing for the day. So the AMRAP sets are the top sets.

I don’t mess with any accessory work on bench days. Not always anyway.. if I’m feelin froggy I’ll throw in some DB flys, or tricep stuff on the end of the workout. But I prefer to let bench day just be bench day.

I’ll mix it up occasionally with either elbow sleeves or no elbow sleeves, or the SS. Regardless of what gear I put on I stick to what I laid out above with the %’ages.

it’s worth noting tho that my SS max is obviously different from my sleeved max. And my sleeved max is slightly more than my raw max. So I just adjust the weight accordingly, while still sticking to the % based AMRAP sets. I’m not exactly taking 3 Max’s every time I max though. So I sort of have to guess the weights on days I switch up gear. Typically for me the sleeves give 5-8lbs. the red SS gives roughly 35lbs, and the MD gives about 45-50lbs to a 1rm.

probably not the most genius approach.. only seeing baby steps. but just like the less than handful of other workouts I try, it’s relatively safe, and I’m gonna stay with it till it stops working.

recap:

Bench every 5th day

Workout 1: warmup, then AMRAP somewhere between 60-80% ~ leave a rep in the tank on this day!

Workout 2: warmup, then AMRAP at 90-95% ~ don’t go all the way to failure!

whatever gear you use, stick to the percentages and just adjust the weight accordingly.

easy.

I hope this helps. 🤷🏼‍♂️

edit: also worth noting that I use a 1rm calculator every workout. For me those calculators are super accurate. So if I hit a pr on some reps at a said weight, I’ll adjust my percentages the next workout based off what I did the last workout. In doing this, I’m not blindly adhering to percentages based off a max I took a month or two prior. 

since I just brought up the 1rm calculators I’ll go on a bit of a monologue about them.

I hear people often say they don’t work for them. But I’d like to point out that those calculators are obviously based off what your actual AMRAP set is at a said weight. If your not putting in a true AMRAP set, then you’re never gonna get the 1rm calculators to work for you. And if you’re being way too specific and expecting them to be accurate within 1 pound, then no, maybe 1rm calculators aren’t for you. I’d say they are accurate to +/- 5lbs if your entering your actual AMRAP set at a said weight. Which is more than accurate enough to program your workouts by. And yes... I agree that +/- 5lbs on a grip lift is huge. But not on a power movement like squat/bench/deadlift.

example, if you can just barely do 12 sloppy reps at 225, then you’ll just barely get a sloppy 1rm with roughly 315. The flipside to that coin is if you can do 12 clean reps with 225, then you’ll get a clean single with roughly 315.

same goes for paused reps. If you want to calculate your paused 1rm, then you need to genuinely get a paused AMRAP set at 65% or more. If in fact you can do 10 clean paused reps with 225, but you did 2 extra sloppy not paused reps on top of that and called it “12”, then no, you can’t assume you can pause 315 for a clean rep. You have to be honest with the 1rm calculators, or they won’t be at all accurate.

another note worth taking on the 1rm calculators is to not expect them to be accurate if you’re doing 20+ rep AMRAP sets. I mean what dweeb does AMRAP sets at 50% or less anyways? Psh. 😜

that said, I find the 1rm calculators to be super helpful for determining what to do next workout. It’s way better than trying to take a max at the end of every week. Way safer too.

Edited by Tommy J.

• 3 weeks later...

2 months since Tommy posted 352.6lb.? bench press.  I'm sure he's at or past 375 by now when he decides to max out.  Here is a 348.6lb. bench press I just made today.  Got some EliteFTS elbow sleeves on, not sure how many pounds they're adding.  My form is shit; need to learn how to push back with my feet instead of up & keep my ass on the bench.  Hard to know where my max is at until test day with volume based training.  Was hitting 200 lifts per week at the peak; that's just bench press lifts, including warm ups, 3-4x per week benching.  Didn't have much success natty trying to push just the intensity; adding volume to increase work capacity with most lifts 70-80% of max seems to be the best approach for me.  Heaviest I went in this cycle was 305lb. for 4 sets of 2.  Bodyweight at ~225lb.  Going for my first 500lb. squat in a few hours.  Deadlift is in the mid-500s only training it sporadically 1-2 times per month.  Testing bench again in 4 weeks, maybe I can crack 355lb. if I gain 5-15lb. dirty bulking.  

https://youtu.be/ezBi72tj3ag

• Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 1:03 PM, Aaron Jacobs said:

2 months since Tommy posted 352.6lb.? bench press.  I'm sure he's at or past 375 by now when he decides to max out.  Here is a 348.6lb. bench press I just made today.  Got some EliteFTS elbow sleeves on, not sure how many pounds they're adding.  My form is shit; need to learn how to push back with my feet instead of up & keep my ass on the bench.  Hard to know where my max is at until test day with volume based training.  Was hitting 200 lifts per week at the peak; that's just bench press lifts, including warm ups, 3-4x per week benching.  Didn't have much success natty trying to push just the intensity; adding volume to increase work capacity with most lifts 70-80% of max seems to be the best approach for me.  Heaviest I went in this cycle was 305lb. for 4 sets of 2.  Bodyweight at ~225lb.  Going for my first 500lb. squat in a few hours.  Deadlift is in the mid-500s only training it sporadically 1-2 times per month.  Testing bench again in 4 weeks, maybe I can crack 355lb. if I gain 5-15lb. dirty bulking.  

https://youtu.be/ezBi72tj3ag

Thanks for the kind words homie. Im fairly certain I wouldn’t 375 raw right now. Likely very close in sleeves if I max’d. I may give it a go before New Years. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Btw I’m jelly of that squat! Kill it!

and nice benchin’ too!

• Like 1

The procedure for restoring access in all betting companies is identical and Linebet is no exception linebet bangladesh login. You open the Linebet login form, select Forgot your password, enter the required data and follow the instructions you receive. You can choose how you will recover your password: via mobile phone or e-mail. In the first case, you will be sent a confirmation code to be entered into the corresponding field; in the second case, you will receive an email with the code. After entering the verification data, you can change your password and make a Linebet login bd.

Edited by Serpent
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t posted in a while but new cycle is going great. Going to finish it strong and correct my mistakes from last one before testing 

Awesome chest workout tonight. I’m in a great groove:

Flat Barbell Bench Press

4 warm ups 

260 lbs - 5x, 6x, 6x, 5x

310 lbs - smooth single 

230 lbs - 13x AMRAP. Real happy with that. 

next week I will Start addIng overload work with mark bells Sling shot

Close Grip Barbell Floor Press - every rep paused

230 lbs - 3x

260 lbs - 2x

290 lbs - 2x

Barbell Incline Bench Press

230 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 2x

280 lbs - 2x. Felt great. Think I had another rep if I wanted but I’ll add more weight next week

Machine Pec Deck Flys

250 lbs (stack) - 4 sets of 12x

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Quick update

havent benched since the 13th. I think I strained my bicep or have some sort of tendinitis happening in that arm. Last time I tweaked my bicep similar to this, I kept pushing the envelope and ended up with bad shoulder pain and had to ultimately take 10 months off. That sucked. So this time I’m gonna play it safe and let the bicep heal instead of pushing through the pain. Contrary to what I said above, I will not be going for any max attempts on the bench or otherwise until after the new year. I’d rather lose a month or so of ground as opposed to 10+ months like last time.

no biggie tho. I’ll bounce back.

you guys better step it up and make good use of my layoff to gain some ground! 😜

• Like 4

Nevermind.... screw the bicep!

couldn’t resist! 😜

315 for 7 reps! Huge pr!

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

couldn’t resist! 😜

315 for 7 reps! Huge pr!

Huge!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

couldn’t resist! 😜

315 for 7 reps! Huge pr!

Wow. Moved dam fast 

• Thanks 1

Not sure how accurate 1rm calculators are for you, but that works out to a 378 max.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Not sure how accurate 1rm calculators are for you, but that works out to a 378 max.

So far they’ve been super accurate. This is the app for 1rm I’ve been using

D8ADC6AB-57A0-4920-BD4B-B86C5CE57FF3.thumb.png.111fa389e6c89d086693605aee6bc8d2.png

according to this one, my max should be 389!..

1AF7DB14-8390-4D20-9532-BB1F69A99B58.thumb.png.5f59cdc480db23200ccdb251cb605b5c.png

not 100% sure about that one tho.. 

I suspect I’ve been in the 370 range for over a month tho. But dang the bicep has thrown a wrench in my game!.. that said, I will not be doing anymore arm wrestling any time soon. A hurt bicep is a dumb ass problem to have to work around while having bench goals. I’ll do what I can to not let it happen again once it’s 100%.

I may go ahead and try for a 1rm next session. Not sure what to expect now tho.. I’m now not so sure how accurate the bench calculator will be for me. No way I’m benching 389 next week. That’s for sure!

• Like 5

375 should be the attempt.   That's a glorious milestone.

• Like 1

Fantastic chest session tonight. In such a great groove. Busted out the slingshot for overload work 

Flat Barbell Bench Press
4 warm ups 
260 lbs - 6x, 6x, 6x, 6x

315 lbs - smooth single 

Slingshot work

285 lbs - 3 doubles with slingshot 

300 lbs - double with SS

315 lbs - double with SS

330 lbs - single with SS

345 lbs - single with SS

Close Grip Floor Press - all reps paused 

235 lbs - 3x

265 lbs - 2x

295 lbs - 2x. Wow. That moved well

Incline Barbell Bench Press

225 lbs - 3x

255 lbs - 2x

285 lbs - 2x. Wow. Felt easy. I had another rep but I’ll save it

225 lbs - 10x then spotter used finger tips to help lock out 11x

Machine Pec Deck Flys

250 lbs (stack) - 4 sets of 12x

Leg Press Machine Calf Raises

1 warm up

300 lbs - 4 sets of 30x

two session slightly increasing the weights each time then I’ll test 

• Like 1

Smoked 375.3 tonight

wish I’d have done this sleeveless so I can bow out of the race and await the winner of the bottle. However, I’m sticking to my guns. It has to be 100% raw, like what is defined in a power meet. So I can’t claim it raw until it happens sleeveless. Further sticking to my guns, I will also not be claiming the bottle when I do bench 375 raw, as mentioned previously. Wouldn’t be fair to those working hard for it naturally.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 8

Went ahead and hit 4 plates in the red SS today also. Homie ATG been wanting to see this one fall I think. Here it is brother! Total weight is 407 and some change.

sorry for the wait on these 1RM’s.. I really don’t like maxing. I tend to get a little worried I’m gonna get some kind of injury doing it. So as a result I like to hold off until I’m sure I’ll get it.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Smoked 375.3 tonight

wish I’d have done this sleeveless so I can bow out of the race and await the winner of the bottle. However, I’m sticking to my guns. It has to be 100% raw, like what is defined in a power meet. So I can’t claim it raw until it happens sleeveless. Further sticking to my guns, I will also not be claiming the bottle when I do bench 375 raw, as mentioned previously. Wouldn’t be fair to those working hard for it naturally.

Destroyed it easy.  400 soon.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Smoked 375.3 tonight

With that bar speed I think you’ve got it without the sleeves. Very strong benchin brother!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Smoked 375.3 tonight

Killed it Tommy. Super impressive 

Edited by Chez
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Destroyed it easy.  400 soon.

Thanks homie! It’s hard not to salivate at the mouth right now thinking about 400. However, it’s taken more than 2 years (off and on due to injuries and various illnesses) of aiming at it to get from 255 to 375. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to have to wait another year to see 400.

gonna keep chipping away at it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

With that bar speed I think you’ve got it without the sleeves. Very strong benchin brother!

Thanks homie!