Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

40 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

It was in another thread between two other people. That topic is not fair fodder for some meaningless internet argument. I've had too much experience with it to take it lightly.

It was removed from the forum. 

6 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Due to comments in reference to suicide from one of the hosts of this game I will not be participating any longer.

Very bummed to hear this, Steve. 

16 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Very bummed to hear this, Steve. 

Me too.  But now I have a new strategy in this contest.  I need to figure out how to get the rest of you to drop out so I win the bottle of scotch by default!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Me too.  But now I have a new strategy in this contest.  I need to figure out how to get the rest of you to drop out so I win the bottle of scotch by default!

Requiring a 5k run of the winner would do it for me. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

B490D2F2-CA9A-4A81-8F4F-B29A81F249BD.jpeg

That’s the first time I’ve seen cursive in years

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

I was gonna say that M looks mighty fancy! Lol

They no longer even teach it in school anymore. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, king crusher said:

Seriously! @EricMilfeld Will you write my valentine's day card for me next year?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

My Mom uses it exclusively. Textbook perfect. 

7 hours ago, king crusher said:

Thank you. I try and hold my workout log to the highest standards... sometimes. But yeah... I agree that it is sad. 

5 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Seriously! @EricMilfeld Will you write my valentine's day card for me next year?

That’s funny!

9 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Thanks, Eric. I'll still be following everyone's progress - just not playing. I'd like to read what you think of Mike Tuchscherer's program when you get deeper into it.

I’ve toyed with some of the general principles in the past. I’m sort of in the lifting duldrums at the moment. Feels like deja vu all over again. Like Chris Rice mentioned the other day in another thread regarding himself, I’ve never been one to respond best to higher volume. So I’m really sort of experimenting and trying to kickstart things. But I also suspect my body has simply stopped adapting to training stresses for the time being and has decided to take a break from it all. Anyways, I don’t mean to disappoint but I may just end up doing what I’ve always inevitably seem to do - lift intuitively. In fact, even though on paper I’m not in shape to do it, when I get home today I’ll be attempting a 150x20 squat PR. Lol. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

I’ve toyed with some of the general principles in the past. I’m sort of in the lifting duldrums at the moment. Feels like deja vu all over again. Like Chris Rice mentioned the other day in another thread regarding himself, I’ve never been one to respond best to higher volume. So I’m really sort of experimenting and trying to kickstart things. But I also suspect my body has simply stopped adapting to training stresses for the time being and has decided to take a break from it all. Anyways, I don’t mean to disappoint but I may just end up doing what I’ve always inevitably seem to do - lift intuitively. In fact, even though on paper I’m not in shape to do it, when I get home today I’ll be attempting a 150x20 squat PR. Lol. 

Bologna sammiches.  It's the nitrates man!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Bologna sammiches.  It's the nitrates man!

It’s gotta be!😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

I've always had much better success with low volume too.  Except for grip stuff, that was just the opposite.  I long for my high school days when I could train bench press three times per week and be fully recovered by the next day!  Now at 50-years-old, I need 8-9 days between bench press sessions.:(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Training intuitively within a loosely defined framework is the only way for me. I've read the books of several training systems and it just seems like a short cut on the way to the scene of the accident for me. Whatever it is you  are doing with your training it's been inspiring to follow.

That’s a great way of phrasing it, Steve!

And thank you for the kind words of support!😊

2 hours ago, IROC-Z said:

I've always had much better success with low volume too.  Except for grip stuff, that was just the opposite.  I long for my high school days when I could train bench press three times per week and be fully recovered by the next day!  Now at 50-years-old, I need 8-9 days between bench press sessions.:(

Ok, so we’re not alone in our high volume handicap! 

Yeah, only a few months ago ago I was trucking along benching twice a week, now I may need to make that once a week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IROC-Z said:

Ditto.  I've always done better with low volume & high % of max.

Richard Sorin once told me, "if you want to get better at reps, do reps.  But if you want to get better at max singles, you have to train heavy singles and doubles."  Over the years it has proven true for me.

• Like 3

Still at the gym but got 205 lbs for 10 sets of triples overhead press. I think I can get the same volume next week with 210 but it will be a fight. Well see 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

Still at the gym but got 205 lbs for 10 sets of triples overhead press. I think I can get the same volume next week with 210 but it will be a fight. Well see 

Dang Chez.  That's a big day.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Dang Chez.  That's a big day.  

Thanks Mike. Really happy with the rehab. I don't feel the strain at all. I figure I will keep with my rehab protocol a couple more weeks and then switch to my normal programming. I am feeling great. 

• Like 2

I'm no Chez, but really feel like I had a breakout session today.  Since I started the rehab and comeback, the weights have felt heavy.  Today they felt lighter than they should, like the beginning of a nice training wave is starting.  We'll see.  Weight still low, but let's see what I can do over the next few weeks.  Pain was very low the whole workout.

BP: bar x 20, 95 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 1, 235 x 1 (post tear pr with no pain), then 185 5 x 5 (post tear pr)

Banded Tate Press X 20 with 20" red CFF bands

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'm no Chez, but really feel like I had a breakout session today.  Since I started the rehab and comeback, the weights have felt heavy.  Today they felt lighter than they should, like the beginning of a nice training wave is starting.  We'll see.  Weight still low, but let's see what I can do over the next few weeks.  Pain was very low the whole workout.

BP: bar x 20, 95 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 1, 235 x 1 (post tear pr with no pain), then 185 5 x 5 (post tear pr)

Banded Tate Press X 20 with 20" red CFF bands

Great job Mike. Keep the momentum buddy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2020 at 6:51 AM, EricMilfeld said:

It seems like most people don’t follow someone else’s program after they have been lifting for several years or decades but do just as Eric says and become very in tune with their bodies personal needs

• Like 3

Great Chest and arms workout tonight. Continuing to get stronger every week. And the best part is I haven't felt discomfort in the pec I strained in weeks.

Flat Barbell Bench Press

5 warm ups

275 lbs - 10 sets of triples. No grinders but I am working on the last sets. 

Incline Barbell Bench Press

185 lbs - 3x

225 lbs - 3x. moved incredibly fast

260 lbs - 3x. Moved incredibly fast. My partner mentioned my incline was looking crazy strong tonight. More weight next week

Smith Machine Barbell Floor Press - each rep paused

275 lbs - 3x

295 lbs - 2x

320 lbs - 1x. moved quick

280 lbs - 5x

Machine Pex Dec Flys

190 lbs - 12x

210 lbs - 12x

230 lbs - 12x

250 lbs (whole stack) - 10x

Tricep Press Downs

150 lbs (whole stack) + 45 lb Plate - 3 sets of 10 reps

Machine Single Arm Bicep Curls

2 warm ups

155 lbs - 4 sets of 12x each arm. 

onwards....................

Edited by Chez
  • Like 8

Benched this am. 240 single (post injury PR) then 5 reps with: 200 (post injury PR), 195, 190, & 185. Didn't feel strong, but progress.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Benched this am. 240 single (post injury PR) then 5 reps with: 200 (post injury PR), 195, 190, & 185. Didn't feel strong, but progress.

A PR is a PR. Good work 🤗

• Thanks 1