Race to raw 375 T&G bench thread!!!- Race still open!

Tommy J.

I figured better safe than sorry for my latest bench workout...

528c5654eb79a.image.jpg

• Haha 1

OK, I lied.  That wasn't me.  Here's my latest workout.  BTW, I'm down for the virtual meet.

istockphoto-181851312-612x612.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is so embarrassing,  but I said I'd post it up once I figured out my max.  Worse than I thought.  I put the red slingshot on today just to test out the bad elbow with something slightly above baby weight.  255 was a grinder.  So prolly somewhere around 225 for a max right now.  😢  I was at 275 raw before the elbow tendon tear.  Of course I weighed 275 then too.  Haha. Bw this morning was 245.

6 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

This is so embarrassing,  but I said I'd post it up once I figured out my max.  Worse than I thought.  I put the red slingshot on today just to test out the bad elbow with something slightly above baby weight.  255 was a grinder.  So prolly somewhere around 225 for a max right now.  😢  I was at 275 raw before the elbow tendon tear.  Of course I weighed 275 then too.  Haha. Bw this morning was 245.

Git it homie! Won’t be any hate from this crowd!

• Thanks 1

So I am coming back nicely for the pull/strain I felt in my left armpit weeks ago. Weight is still light for me but I didn't feel it all this workout.

Workout was 255 lbs for 10 sets of triples and they were all super easy. then worked up to 240x5 incline easy so I still got some time before I get back to normal bench weight but moving in the right direction after the pull/strain. finished with some floor presses, pec deck flys, tricep push downs and bicep work. I'll keep upping the weights week by week until I am all the way back

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

Bench

70x8

70x8

90x5

110x5

No rest between following sets:

132.5x5

117.5x5

102.5x10

Chins

bodyweight

x3

x3

x3

No rest between the sets:

137.3x5 PR!

106.7x3

• Like 3

On 2/14/2020 at 11:23 AM, WestSlope said:

I struggle with light intensity day, so this is a work in progress. I am aiming for a light pump in the tri's and pec's here.

Light day:
Football bar middle grips - 175 + doubled mini bands x 3 (too heavy), 145 + doubled mini bands x 6, 8, 8, 8

face pulls

Light day heavier than my current heavy day.  Bwahaha

24° F in the shed this morning.  Went above 200 for the first time without a slingshot since elbow tear in October.  Shoulders and elbow felt ok.  Minimal rest between all work sets below.  

BP : warmups: Bar X 20, 95 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 2.  Work sets: 205 x 2, 185 X 5, 135 X 12

• Like 2

Had a good standing overhead press session today. I know it’s not bench but it shows my pressing strength is coming back. Still ramping up from the strain/pull. 

195 lbs for 10 sets of triples no problem. More weight next week 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Had a good standing overhead press session today. I know it’s not bench but it shows my pressing strength is coming back. Still ramping up from the strain/pull. 

Very nice pressing!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Light day heavier than my current heavy day.  Bwahaha

24° F in the shed this morning.  Went above 200 for the first time without a slingshot since elbow tear in October.  Shoulders and elbow felt ok.  Minimal rest between all work sets below.  

BP : warmups: Bar X 20, 95 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 2.  Work sets: 205 x 2, 185 X 5, 135 X 12

Benching in that cold environment could increase your chance of injury.  

9 hours ago, king crusher said:

Benching in that cold environment could increase your chance of injury.  

Yea, probably.   It was a two sweatshirt elbow sleeve day.  

14 hours ago, Chez said:

Good stuff Chez!  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Very nice pressing!

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Good stuff Chez!  

Thanks fellas. Next bench day is Wednesday. Love the motivation this thread is giving me to get back to peak strength 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Seated Dumbbells Press (pounds)

30x3x10

50x 15

50x 20

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

How much weight do these sling shot contraptions afford someone? Never seen or used one in person.

Red one maybe 10-15% if you use them correctly. 

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

How much weight do these sling shot contraptions afford someone? Never seen or used one in person.

For me? 40lbs to my 1rm. Hard to say on reps.

There are different levels of the SS as well. The next one up from the red one would be the yellow one. I’ll get one of those as well.

the SS is a shoulder saver more than anything tho! I recommend it. Obviously it adds to you’re max. And you’re reps. But the more important factor it brings is being able to go heavier without beating yourself up. And It’s a great confidence builder.

Also on the SS, I’ve heard many say the further it is towards you’re chest the more you get out of it. I disagree. I get the most out of it wearing it on the elbows instead of the upper arms since it puts more stretch to the SS when wearing at the elbows. I’d say the first 4” of the press feels like the most beneficial when wearing it. After that it feels like you’re on you’re own.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

Joe, within 1 minute of me posting that vid (literally! look at the time stamps on the posts) you needed to know how much the SS added. Not kudos. Not “damn!”. But “how much does that thing there add?” ....within 60 seconds. 😳

I answer and then crickets chirp.

Didn’t you just carry on in the trip reports thread about how mf’ers need to stop dwelling over comparisons every time somebody lifts something around here?

i mean damn... at least my trolling is consistent! 😈

36 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Also on the SS, I’ve heard many say the further it is towards you’re chest the more you get out of it. I disagree. I get the most out of it wearing it on the elbows instead of the upper arms since it puts more stretch to the SS at the elbows. I’d say the first 4” of the press feels like the most beneficial when wearing it. After that it feels like you’re on you’re own.

Agreed.  I get a little more when it is just covering my elbows.  It definitely saves the shoulders and allows you to overload the 2nd half of the press much like bands do.  I used the black SS to go from 300 to 340.  It really allows you to overload the second half.  Plus... it's fun.  Lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Agreed.  I get a little more when it is just covering my elbows.  It definitely saves the shoulders and allows you to overload the 2nd half of the press much like bands do.  I used the black SS to go from 300 to 340.  It really allows you to overload the second half.  Plus... it's fun.  Lol

Same for me, just over the elbows and a pretty consistent 15% with the red. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Not raw obviously. But hey? The SS hasn’t been getting much play from me these days. Total weight is 319

Very nice set btw

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Joe, within 1 minute of me posting that vid (literally! look at the time stamps on the posts) you needed to know how much the SS added. Not kudos. Not “damn!”. But “how much does that thing there add?” ....within 60 seconds. 😳

I answer and then crickets chirp.

Didn’t you just carry on in the trip reports thread about how mf’ers need to stop dwelling over comparisons every time somebody lifts something around here?

i mean damn... at least my trolling is consistent! 😈

What on earth  are you talking about, bro? Trolling?  Never mind, don’t care.

By the way, good job.....  

Anywaaayyyyy..... thanks for the explanation.....as I don’t know anything about sling shots, nor was I comparing anyone. Was asking what it gives the lifter and why it’s used........🤦‍♂️

Edited by Guest