rippedlikeapig

My training for the 3,5# cert.

Hopefully
14 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Wish I could give you some good advice. Although I’ve been lifting for 15 years, this grip thing is a new experience for me. 
Have you tried one workout per week. Max performance with medium volume and not more than 3 rep. on peaking set. I feel that a more bodybuilder approach to this has been a good way to go as supposed to a more power lifter way.  Where I go down on intensity, but high frequency and volume. 

I know I’m still just a newbie, but this has been my approach and I feel I’ve gotten plenty back these three months. 

That's the approach I'm going to try the following weeks. Really high intensity, relatively low volume, and 7-12 rest days in between or something like that. I'm almost always tired and rarely feel strong so I think I need to. 

I have trained like you a few times and it works well. But I think things get more complicated a year or 2 into it, after you have neurologically adapted it becomes difficult. 

• Like 1

rippedlikeapig
9 hours ago, Hopefully said:

That's the approach I'm going to try the following weeks. Really high intensity, relatively low volume, and 7-12 rest days in between or something like that. I'm almost always tired and rarely feel strong so I think I need to. 

I have trained like you a few times and it works well. But I think things get more complicated a year or 2 into it, after you have neurologically adapted it becomes difficult. 

It’ll be interesting to see. And to know when to quit, I have a bar set at MMS #3x5. If I’m not able to do 5, I’m done. 
If I can, I keep on going. 

Yeah, can’t wait for things to be more complex.... Hopefully I have certed the #3,5 by then. 

Hopefully
16 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

It’ll be interesting to see. And to know when to quit, I have a bar set at MMS #3x5. If I’m not able to do 5, I’m done. 
If I can, I keep on going. 

Yeah, can’t wait for things to be more complex.... Hopefully I have certed the #3,5 by then. 

For sure. In your case it will probably be around the #4. You have just started out.

rippedlikeapig
36 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

For sure. In your case it will probably be around the #4. You have just started out.

Well, thank you. 

• Like 1

Hopefully
4 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:
5 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Well, thank you. 

I just base it on my own experience and some others, I went up around 70lbs relatively easy since I started. 

• Like 1

rippedlikeapig
1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

I just base it on my own experience and some others, I went up around 70lbs relatively easy since I started. 

Wow. That’s really great progress. Where did you start? You estimated your 1RM at around 172-173 mms? 

Even though I probably could close an easy #3 with some chalk and a better set, I don’t see myself closing a 200+ gripper anytime soon. 

I think that’s why this is so interesting. It’s not the same as with powerlifting. Easier to tell people apart and to see people’s potential. With grip you have men, seemingly average built, doing very impressive lifts and gripper closes. 

Hopefully
54 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Wow. That’s really great progress. Where did you start? You estimated your 1RM at around 172-173 mms? 

Even though I probably could close an easy #3 with some chalk and a better set, I don’t see myself closing a 200+ gripper anytime soon. 

I think that’s why this is so interesting. It’s not the same as with powerlifting. Easier to tell people apart and to see people’s potential. With grip you have men, seemingly average built, doing very impressive lifts and gripper closes. 

I could close 1.5 from a wide set. Smashed the 2 within 1 or 2 weeks if I remember right. Yeah it is somewhere around there. Although, I included initial neuro gains, technique, chalk etc in that number. I guess you could argue that I could close an easier 2.5 if I had known exactly what I was doing. 

I dont think I particularly agree with the powerlifting thing, but I get what you mean :) I have seen plenty of strength monsters that you wouldnt think could come close to doing what they're doing from looking at them. But yeah, a 160lbs guy outlifting a 300 lbs monster wouldnt happen as it can in grip. 

rippedlikeapig

Warm ups // set x reps

Block set // 47 mm // #3,5 177 // 3x1

Missed two of them, second and last. First one was with more authority and had it closed for a few seconds. One good rep. 

Silver Bullet // #3 // 40 seconds

PR. Second time trying and 8 seconds up. Ok. 

A bit of this and that. Block set and MMS with #3 before my has were burned up. 

Felt weak today all the way through. Rest until friday. 

• Like 2