Jump to content
rippedlikeapig

My training for the 3,5# cert.

Recommended Posts

Hopefully
15 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Probably a bit of both. 

But more the intensity I think. Before I got the 3,5 I could work the #3 almost everyday within certain limits. 

Yeah, but maybe if you work up the reps and sets with the 3 to a substantially different amount, your ability to handle training with the 3.5 would increase. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
On 3/11/2020 at 7:40 PM, Hopefully said:

Yeah, but maybe if you work up the reps and sets with the 3 to a substantially different amount, your ability to handle training with the 3.5 would increase. 

Yes. I think you’re right. I’ve not done more than one or two single attempts with the #3,5 the last two weeks and it feels a lot better. 

Still a bit sore, but I can at least get some actual grip work done. 

Set x rep

Warm up with the Ivanko

Block set // 36 mm // COC #3 // 5x5

MMS // COC#3 // 2x10 

Decent strength today. Could’ve done 7 at most today. 

Next goal is to do #3,5 from a block set. Hopefully I can give it a try within a week or two. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig

Set x reps

Ivanko SG // warm up to equal COC 2,5

Block set // 36 mm // #3 152 // 3x1

Block set // 36 mm // #3,5 177 // 3x1

MMS // #3 152 // 1x12 

Felt rested and strong today despite the grip work I did yesterday. 

Happy with how it went. #3,5 from a 36 mm block set is a huge PR for me. 

My hands seems to have recovered well. Now I just have to keep sticking to #3 for different sets and to not go too heavy and I’ll be fine. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig

Set x reps

Ivanko SG - left and right warm ups

12 and 1 // 1x10

12 and 4 // 1x6

12 and 6 // 1x4

12 and 8 //2x1 

12 and 10 // 1x1 

Right hand only

CCS // #3 152 // 2x4 (PB)

Block set // #3 152 // 5x5 

Left hand only 

Ivanko SG // 11 and 8 // 6x5 

 

Felt strong today and pretty happy with 4xCCS with the #3. Was hoping to manage 5xCCS closes within the three month mark, but that’s only one week away from now. Hah. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clayton Gripslee

Hey dude, awesome progress. Can't wait to see more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
11 hours ago, Clayton Gripslee said:

Hey dude, awesome progress. Can't wait to see more

Thank you Clayton! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vinnie
On 2/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, bruce1337 said:

Yes its much more accurate for compound strength lifts such as the squat, deadlift, bench, ohp, etc. I don't know how well it works with grippers.

It would be interesting to compile data from as many people as possible regarding their max close and a gripper they can close for about 5 reps. If there is a trend then you can build a formula to calculate more precisely when you are ready to move up to higher grippers.

Good luck with the Ivanko training, I think you will destroy the #3.5 cert!

Just anecdotally in response to your comment about 5 reps vs. 1 rep max, I will chime in that my best 5 rep max on grippers is usually mid-130s RGC (I often do three sets of 5 MMS reps with a 2.5 rated 132, so my 5-rep max for one set would be a few pounds higher), and my best 1 rep max is usually about 150.  When I went for MM1 my 1 rep max was 155-ish, and I was able to MMS rep my 132 about 10 times and my 147 narrow RB 3 times.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vinnie
22 hours ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Set x reps

Ivanko SG - left and right warm ups

12 and 1 // 1x10

12 and 4 // 1x6

12 and 6 // 1x4

12 and 8 //2x1 

12 and 10 // 1x1 

Right hand only

CCS // #3 152 // 2x4 (PB)

Block set // #3 152 // 5x5 

Left hand only 

Ivanko SG // 11 and 8 // 6x5 

 

Felt strong today and pretty happy with 4xCCS with the #3. Was hoping to manage 5xCCS closes within the three month mark, but that’s only one week away from now. Hah. 

Did you already cert the COC 3 officially?  Or are you just going for the 3.5 because once you get that, the 3 is irrelevant anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devinhoo
On 2/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, bruce1337 said:

Yes its much more accurate for compound strength lifts such as the squat, deadlift, bench, ohp, etc. I don't know how well it works with grippers.

It would be interesting to compile data from as many people as possible regarding their max close and a gripper they can close for about 5 reps. If there is a trend then you can build a formula to calculate more precisely when you are ready to move up to higher grippers.

Good luck with the Ivanko training, I think you will destroy the #3.5 cert!

There was a discussion of that a while back. Ended up settling on RGC*reps*0.0333/2+RGC (or RGC*reps/60 + RGC if you wanted to get a number without rounding).

However I think the more realistic answer is found by trial and error on a personal level. Also totally depends if someone has been training singles or higher rep ranges.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopefully
11 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

There was a discussion of that a while back. Ended up settling on RGC*reps*0.0333/2+RGC (or RGC*reps/60 + RGC if you wanted to get a number without rounding).

However I think the more realistic answer is found by trial and error on a personal level. Also totally depends if someone has been training singles or higher rep ranges.

What is the point with this anyway? Like why is it relevant? If one wants to know your 1-rep max; just try it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bruce1337
36 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

What is the point with this anyway? Like why is it relevant? If one wants to know your 1-rep max; just try it. 

More or less for people who cant afford many grippers and want to know exactly when theyre ready to move up to the next gripper. So they can use number of reps to determine when their strength is good enough to buy the next gripper.

For me, Im just fascinated with strength testing and I love making a good spreadsheet full of data 😂

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bruce1337
1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Did you already cert the COC 3 officially?  Or are you just going for the 3.5 because once you get that, the 3 is irrelevant anyway?

Shamey certed on both on the same day, maybe he has similar plans? I dont know if youre allowed to cert on a 3.5 and skip the 3.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Did you already cert the COC 3 officially?  Or are you just going for the 3.5 because once you get that, the 3 is irrelevant anyway?

No, I haven’t certified the #3 yet. It was my main goal when I got a #3 for Christmas. 

But I didn’t know that I would be able to close it with CCS within five weeks. I thought it could be a fun challenge to make it by the end of this year. So therefore I decided to maybe give the #3,5 cert a try. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

What is the point with this anyway? Like why is it relevant? If one wants to know your 1-rep max; just try it. 

The reason I asked was because I just had one #3 and had maxed out the Ivanko and wanted to by a stronger gripper. 

So it was basically just to get an estimate to decide which gripper I would by next. Found a #3,5 COC RGC 177 that I think was a very good match strength wise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
2 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Shamey certed on both on the same day, maybe he has similar plans? I dont know if youre allowed to cert on a 3.5 and skip the 3.

I’m not planning to cert the #3, but I believe that if you are strong enough to attempt a #3,5 cert, the #3 won’t even be a warm up. So if I need to cert the #3 first it’s ok. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

 

 

Edited by rippedlikeapig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
Posted (edited)

Set x reps

RH 

Block set // 47 mm // #3,5 177 // 5x1 PR

Missed two of them by 1-2 mm. 

Block set // 36 mm // #3,5 177 // 1x2 PR

Block set // 36 mm // 3# 151 // 1x8 PR

Block set // 36 mm // #3 151 // 1x5 

CCS // #3 151 // 1x3

 

Felt strong today. Very pleased with 47 mm spread with the #3,5. Two of which I could not close completely, but it’s a good PR nonetheless. 2x36 mm block set #3,5 and 8x36 mm with #3 are PR’s as well. 

Happy with the progress so far. 
 

 

Edited by rippedlikeapig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopefully
51 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Set x reps

RH 

Block set // 47 mm // #3,5 177 // 5x1 PR

Missed two of them by 1-2 mm. 

Block set // 36 mm // #3,5 177 // 1x2 PR

Block set // 36 mm // 3# 151 // 1x8 PR

Block set // 36 mm // #3 151 // 1x5 

CCS // #3 151 // 1x3

 

Felt strong today. Very pleased with 47 mm spread with the #3,5. Three of which I could not close completely, but it’s a good PR nonetheless. 2x36 mm block set #3,5 and 8x36 mm with #3 are PR’s as well. 

Happy with the progress so far. 
 

 

Maybe you can already deep set #4. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
20 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Maybe you can already deep set #4. 

Thank you, but I highly doubt it. Even a weak #4. I need to be able to CCS close the #3,5 it at least I think. 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig

Set x rep 

Ivanko SG // left and right

12 and 2 // 1x8

12 and 4 // 1x6

12 and 6 // 1x4

12 and 8 // 1x2

Right // #3 151

CCSx5 attempt - missed fifth by 2-3 mm

CCSx3 and CCSx1 

4x6 // 20-35 mm spread

Left // Ivanko SG // 11 and 8 // 5x5

 

Felt ok during warm up. But after CCS attempt my grip was already burned out. I’ll give it another go in 4-6 days. 
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopefully
1 hour ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Set x rep 

Ivanko SG // left and right

12 and 2 // 1x8

12 and 4 // 1x6

12 and 6 // 1x4

12 and 8 // 1x2

Right // #3 151

CCSx5 attempt - missed fifth by 2-3 mm

CCSx3 and CCSx1 

4x6 // 20-35 mm spread

Left // Ivanko SG // 11 and 8 // 5x5

 

Felt ok during warm up. But after CCS attempt my grip was already burned out. I’ll give it another go in 4-6 days. 
 

 

I know that feeling, you feel strong and have decent strength the first set then it dissapear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
55 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I know that feeling, you feel strong and have decent strength the first set then it dissapear

Yeah, was more beaten up that I thought. How’s training going? Are you going for a #3 cert this year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopefully
4 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Yeah, was more beaten up that I thought. How’s training going? Are you going for a #3 cert this year? 

I honestly don't know. I'm feeling worn down all the time. I need to start using a long rest approach between workouts I think, which we talked about before. It has been a while since I made any progress on the ccs side of things. Although, I have gotten bigger, so I think I just need to get my recovery in check and do some peaking training to perform. 

I hope I can do it this year, but it's not looking good right now. We'll see. I will give it my all. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rippedlikeapig
1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

I honestly don't know. I'm feeling worn down all the time. I need to start using a long rest approach between workouts I think, which we talked about before. It has been a while since I made any progress on the ccs side of things. Although, I have gotten bigger, so I think I just need to get my recovery in check and do some peaking training to perform. 

I hope I can do it this year, but it's not looking good right now. We'll see. I will give it my all. 

Wish I could give you some good advice. Although I’ve been lifting for 15 years, this grip thing is a new experience for me. 
Have you tried one workout per week. Max performance with medium volume and not more than 3 rep. on peaking set. I feel that a more bodybuilder approach to this has been a good way to go as supposed to a more power lifter way.  Where I go down on intensity, but high frequency and volume. 
 

I know I’m still just a newbie, but this has been my approach and I feel I’ve gotten plenty back these three months. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.