My training for the 3,5# cert.

rippedlikeapig

36 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

What is the point with this anyway? Like why is it relevant? If one wants to know your 1-rep max; just try it. 

More or less for people who cant afford many grippers and want to know exactly when theyre ready to move up to the next gripper. So they can use number of reps to determine when their strength is good enough to buy the next gripper.

For me, Im just fascinated with strength testing and I love making a good spreadsheet full of data 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Did you already cert the COC 3 officially?  Or are you just going for the 3.5 because once you get that, the 3 is irrelevant anyway?

Shamey certed on both on the same day, maybe he has similar plans? I dont know if youre allowed to cert on a 3.5 and skip the 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Did you already cert the COC 3 officially?  Or are you just going for the 3.5 because once you get that, the 3 is irrelevant anyway?

No, I haven’t certified the #3 yet. It was my main goal when I got a #3 for Christmas. 

But I didn’t know that I would be able to close it with CCS within five weeks. I thought it could be a fun challenge to make it by the end of this year. So therefore I decided to maybe give the #3,5 cert a try. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

What is the point with this anyway? Like why is it relevant? If one wants to know your 1-rep max; just try it. 

The reason I asked was because I just had one #3 and had maxed out the Ivanko and wanted to by a stronger gripper. 

So it was basically just to get an estimate to decide which gripper I would by next. Found a #3,5 COC RGC 177 that I think was a very good match strength wise. 

2 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Shamey certed on both on the same day, maybe he has similar plans? I dont know if youre allowed to cert on a 3.5 and skip the 3.

I’m not planning to cert the #3, but I believe that if you are strong enough to attempt a #3,5 cert, the #3 won’t even be a warm up. So if I need to cert the #3 first it’s ok. 

• Like 2

Set x reps

RH 

Block set // 47 mm // #3,5 177 // 5x1 PR

Missed two of them by 1-2 mm. 

Block set // 36 mm // #3,5 177 // 1x2 PR

Block set // 36 mm // 3# 151 // 1x8 PR

Block set // 36 mm // #3 151 // 1x5 

CCS // #3 151 // 1x3

Felt strong today. Very pleased with 47 mm spread with the #3,5. Two of which I could not close completely, but it’s a good PR nonetheless. 2x36 mm block set #3,5 and 8x36 mm with #3 are PR’s as well. 

Happy with the progress so far. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig

20 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Maybe you can already deep set #4. 

Thank you, but I highly doubt it. Even a weak #4. I need to be able to CCS close the #3,5 it at least I think. 

Set x rep 

Ivanko SG // left and right

12 and 2 // 1x8

12 and 4 // 1x6

12 and 6 // 1x4

12 and 8 // 1x2

Right // #3 151

CCSx5 attempt - missed fifth by 2-3 mm

CCSx3 and CCSx1 

4x6 // 20-35 mm spread

Left // Ivanko SG // 11 and 8 // 5x5

Felt ok during warm up. But after CCS attempt my grip was already burned out. I’ll give it another go in 4-6 days. 

55 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I know that feeling, you feel strong and have decent strength the first set then it dissapear

Yeah, was more beaten up that I thought. How’s training going? Are you going for a #3 cert this year? 

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

I honestly don't know. I'm feeling worn down all the time. I need to start using a long rest approach between workouts I think, which we talked about before. It has been a while since I made any progress on the ccs side of things. Although, I have gotten bigger, so I think I just need to get my recovery in check and do some peaking training to perform. 

I hope I can do it this year, but it's not looking good right now. We'll see. I will give it my all. 

Wish I could give you some good advice. Although I’ve been lifting for 15 years, this grip thing is a new experience for me. 
Have you tried one workout per week. Max performance with medium volume and not more than 3 rep. on peaking set. I feel that a more bodybuilder approach to this has been a good way to go as supposed to a more power lifter way.  Where I go down on intensity, but high frequency and volume. 

I know I’m still just a newbie, but this has been my approach and I feel I’ve gotten plenty back these three months. 

9 hours ago, Hopefully said:

That's the approach I'm going to try the following weeks. Really high intensity, relatively low volume, and 7-12 rest days in between or something like that. I'm almost always tired and rarely feel strong so I think I need to. 

I have trained like you a few times and it works well. But I think things get more complicated a year or 2 into it, after you have neurologically adapted it becomes difficult. 

It’ll be interesting to see. And to know when to quit, I have a bar set at MMS #3x5. If I’m not able to do 5, I’m done. 
If I can, I keep on going. 

Yeah, can’t wait for things to be more complex.... Hopefully I have certed the #3,5 by then. 

36 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

For sure. In your case it will probably be around the #4. You have just started out.

Well, thank you. 

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

I just base it on my own experience and some others, I went up around 70lbs relatively easy since I started. 

Wow. That’s really great progress. Where did you start? You estimated your 1RM at around 172-173 mms? 

Even though I probably could close an easy #3 with some chalk and a better set, I don’t see myself closing a 200+ gripper anytime soon. 

I think that’s why this is so interesting. It’s not the same as with powerlifting. Easier to tell people apart and to see people’s potential. With grip you have men, seemingly average built, doing very impressive lifts and gripper closes. 

Warm ups // set x reps

Block set // 47 mm // #3,5 177 // 4x1

Missed two of them, second and last. First one was with more authority and had it closed for a few seconds. One good rep. 

Silver Bullet // #3 // 40 seconds

PR. Second time trying and 8 seconds up. Ok. 

A bit of this and that. Block set and MMS with #3 before my has were burned up. 

Felt weak today all the way through. Rest until friday. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig
  • Like 1

Warm ups // set x reps

LH

Ivanko SG // 11 and 8 150RGC // 7x4-5 

RH 

CCS // #3,5 177RGC // 4x1 PR

Felt very strong today. Missed probably two of them with a 1 mm. They were by no means certified reps. I tend to grab my wrist when the closes get very hard. It seems to help a bit, but a lot stronger than last week.

Block set // 47 mm // #3,5 177RGC // 1x2

A good attempt. 2-3 mm off the last rep.

CCS // #3 150RGC // 2x2

Block set // 47 mm // #3 150RGC // 6-5-4 

5 and 6x47 mm. is a PR.

MMS // #3 150RGC // 1x8 

Warm ups // set x reps

LH // Ivanko SG

12 and 6 // 4x5

11 and 8 // 3x5

RH 

CCS // #3,5 177 // 4x1 

CCS // #3 150 // 2x4 and 3x3 

MMS (above parallel) // #3 150 // 2x6 

Decent workout. Felt okey and strong from the start, but burned out very quick. The two last attempts with the 3,5# were off by 1-2 mm. And 2x4 with #3 was more like 2x3,8 reps. And 2x6 was pretty hard. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig

• 2 weeks later...

Warm ups // set x reps

MMS // #2 // 1x10

MMS // #2,5 // 1x5

MMS // #3 150 // 1x2

CCS // #3,5 173 // 4x2 - 3x1

CCS // #3 150 // 2x1 

MMS // #3 150 // 1x7

Bought a set of 8 CoC today. Very happy with 4x2 reps with the new #3,5. Clearly weaker and the spread is only 71 mm compared to the other one from CPW which is 76 mm. Tried a CCS close at the end with my 177 #3,5 but couldn’t close it. Probably to burned out. 

Will try to calibrate my #4 sometime this weekend. 

• Like 1

My COC #4 rated at 213 with a 72 mm. spread. Gave it a squeeze yesterday just for fun during the warmup and I can’t phantom the grip strength needed to close one of these from a 38 BS or CCS. Even MMS. Just absurd. 

By the way, if someone has a gripper rated somewhere around 200 and want to trade or sell just send me a message. 

• Like 1

Warm ups

CCS // #3 150 // 2-2-3-3-4-3-2

CCS left // #2,5 // 3-3-4-3-3 

Parallel set // #3,5 173 // 4x1 

Not particularly strong today, but a decent session nonetheless. 

Warm ups - set x reps

CCS // #3 150 // 2

CCS // #3,5 173 // 2x1 

MMS // #3,5 173 // 1x4

CCS // #3 150 // 6x3

LH - Ivanko SG

10 and 6 // 6x6

Ok session. Not very strong, but satisfied with how things felt. Starting to get a bit more conditioned now. 

Will try to rest four, five days at least now. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig
  • Like 1

Warm ups - set x reps

CCS // #3 150 // 1x7 PR - 4 - 2 - 2

BS // 36 mm // #3 150 // 2x5 - 1x4

LH - Ivanko SG

11 and 7 - 5x6

Happy with 7 ccs reps, but that was it. Everything was heavy after that. Felt strong, but not much working capacity today. 

• Like 2

Warm ups - set x reps

CCS // #3 150 // 2-4-4-4-3-2

CCS // #3,5 173 // 1x2 (off by 2 mm on the last rep)

BS // 36 mm // #3,5 173 // 4-2

BS // 36 // #3 150 // 1x6 

MMS // #3,5 180 // 1x1 

All over the place today. Was pretty weak, but my “off” days are a lot stronger than they used to be. So it’s still progress.
Need to lay off a bit more. Rest until friday. 

• Like 1

CCS // #3 150 // 2-3-4-2

CCS // #3,5 173 // 1-1

CCS // #3,5 177 // 1

BS // 36 mm // #3,5 173

Feeling weak and burned out. A few more days of rest. 

• Like 2