My training for the 3,5# cert.

rippedlikeapig

Took the grippers to the gym today. Tried a few singles with the #3 as my hands started to get warmed up in between shoulder press and cable crunches. 

They became easier and easier and decided to try #3,5. 

// #3,5 - set x reps

3x1

1x3 (deep set, around 12-15 mm.)

2x1 

// #3 

A lot of singles from around a block set. 

Tried also silver bullet for the first time also with the #3. Did around 32 sec. first round and 26 second. Was difficult to get a good “set”, but was fun to try something different, not to mention the intense burn. Will add a few sets once a week just to see if I can break the 40 second mark. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig

@Lennix has a great video on his Instagram about setting for the SB. Should check it out.

P.s this is one of my favourite grip logs to follow, your progression is unreal and super motivating!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

@Lennix has a great video on his Instagram about setting for the SB. Should check it out.

P.s this is one of my favourite grip logs to follow, your progression is unreal and super motivating!

Glad you like it!

Here it is in full length :)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Thank you for the kind words bruce1337. I have lifted weights for 15 years so my base strength is ok. It has helped developing my grip strength in one way or another, but very fun to see such a progress none the less. I was a bit afraid that my grip was well conditioned from all the lifting. 

11 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Glad you like it!

Here it is in full length :)

Thank you Lennix. This was a little bit different from what I did today. I’ll give that a try next time. 

• Like 1

Did a few warm up singles with the #3 during the workout. Had decent speed and control despite being tired from friday. 

Did five closes with #3,5. First one was 1-2 mm. off, but the setting was not as good. 

Next four went pretty well. Paused maybe one second before I tried to close so good control. My pinky was not on the handle on the last attempt and still managed to close it. Very pleased with that. Maybe 35 mm. spread. 

Warmup - set x rep

5x1 - #3 

3x1 - 3,5 // paused and above parallel

Very sore and tired. Joints and palm hurts. I think I need to rest a whole week. Not near my peak strength. Can’t close anything on the Ivanko compared to what I did a couple of weeks back just before I got my #3,5. 

22 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

It happens. Way more so, ime, than all other types of training. 

Yeah. It’s a bit frustrating. You can squat, deadlift or bench three, four times a week. But one hard sessions with grippers and I’m burned out a good week or so it seems. 

Are you fully rested? Saw your workout today. 50 CCS and NS closes with the #2,5 is awesome. 

Can you CCS close a #3? 

On 2/19/2020 at 8:59 PM, rippedlikeapig said:

Got my #3,5 from CPW today. Pre-rated at 177lbs. 

Closed it maybe five out of ten attempts today, but they were all a bit messy. 

Did 10 single CCS with the #3 after this. 

My hands are pretty sore still after last week so I’m gonna give it a few more days to rest. 

You are very gifted for grippers it seems. Keep it up!

8 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Almost, I think. Still, strength varies so much so it's hard to know. Thank you! 

I can't ccs an average-hard 3 yet. But I'm right around the corner. Maybe on a really good day. 

Good luck with the training. You’ll close the #3 in no time. 

Not able to rest for a week apparently. To obsessed I guess. But as long as I’m holding back on the volume it seems to recover. 

#3 - 3 wide closes as warmup 

#3,5 - 4 wide set closes

Hands feel better. Still a bit sore, but was a bit stronger today. Better control and wider closes. Rest until Monday. 

03/04/2020

Benchpress, pull-ups, barbell shoulder press and some curls. Did some gripping in between.

set x reps

3x1 @ #3

4x1 @ #3,5 

Tried a few singles during the workout yesterday. Feels better, but still a bit sore. Weird how much more beat up I got by the 3,5 compared to 3. 

Do you guys still train grip even though your hands are beat up? Or do you rest as much as you need. I feel it’s only getting worse if I keep on pushing. 

On 2/26/2020 at 9:42 PM, Hopefully said:

It happens. Way more so, ime, than all other types of training. 

Because we train like maniacs. :D Hard to stay consistent with grippers. The hardest.

19 hours ago, Hopefully said:

There are people who needs complete rest for 10-15 days after a heavy workout with big grippers. It sounds a little ridiculous but.. 

For me I think rest only makes me weaker, I think It's best to go easy on the intensity for a few workouts and then ramp up again. Speed work/hypertrophy work etc.. 

No, it doesn’t sound ridiculous. But it’s good to hear it’s not only me. I work as a bricklayer and use my hands every day at work. Hard not to grab and pinch blocks and tiles as you move around. 

Rest another week. Thank you Hopefully. 

03/10/2020

set x reps

Some benchpress and deadlifts.

Pulled thumbless and with three fingers only to get warmed up for grippers between sets. Top set of 3 x 160kg. 

#3 - Probably 10 x 1. Managed two double CCS close also. 

#3,5 - 2 x 1

Ivanko SG - 10 and 7 (equal to #2,5)

5x8 

10 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I Wonder if this occurs because the intensity is so high and the demands on the cns, or if your work capacity is too low to allow good recovery. 

Probably a bit of both. 

But more the intensity I think. Before I got the 3,5 I could work the #3 almost everyday within certain limits. 

On 3/11/2020 at 7:40 PM, Hopefully said:

Yeah, but maybe if you work up the reps and sets with the 3 to a substantially different amount, your ability to handle training with the 3.5 would increase. 

Yes. I think you’re right. I’ve not done more than one or two single attempts with the #3,5 the last two weeks and it feels a lot better. 

Still a bit sore, but I can at least get some actual grip work done. 

Set x rep

Warm up with the Ivanko

Block set // 36 mm // COC #3 // 5x5

MMS // COC#3 // 2x10 

Decent strength today. Could’ve done 7 at most today. 

Next goal is to do #3,5 from a block set. Hopefully I can give it a try within a week or two. 

• Like 1

Set x reps

Ivanko SG // warm up to equal COC 2,5

Block set // 36 mm // #3 152 // 3x1

Block set // 36 mm // #3,5 177 // 3x1

MMS // #3 152 // 1x12 

Felt rested and strong today despite the grip work I did yesterday. 

Happy with how it went. #3,5 from a 36 mm block set is a huge PR for me. 

My hands seems to have recovered well. Now I just have to keep sticking to #3 for different sets and to not go too heavy and I’ll be fine. 

Set x reps

Ivanko SG - left and right warm ups

12 and 1 // 1x10

12 and 4 // 1x6

12 and 6 // 1x4

12 and 8 //2x1 

12 and 10 // 1x1 

Right hand only

CCS // #3 152 // 2x4 (PB)

Block set // #3 152 // 5x5 

Left hand only 

Ivanko SG // 11 and 8 // 6x5 

Felt strong today and pretty happy with 4xCCS with the #3. Was hoping to manage 5xCCS closes within the three month mark, but that’s only one week away from now. Hah. 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, bruce1337 said:

Yes its much more accurate for compound strength lifts such as the squat, deadlift, bench, ohp, etc. I don't know how well it works with grippers.

It would be interesting to compile data from as many people as possible regarding their max close and a gripper they can close for about 5 reps. If there is a trend then you can build a formula to calculate more precisely when you are ready to move up to higher grippers.

Good luck with the Ivanko training, I think you will destroy the #3.5 cert!

Just anecdotally in response to your comment about 5 reps vs. 1 rep max, I will chime in that my best 5 rep max on grippers is usually mid-130s RGC (I often do three sets of 5 MMS reps with a 2.5 rated 132, so my 5-rep max for one set would be a few pounds higher), and my best 1 rep max is usually about 150.  When I went for MM1 my 1 rep max was 155-ish, and I was able to MMS rep my 132 about 10 times and my 147 narrow RB 3 times.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Set x reps

Ivanko SG - left and right warm ups

12 and 1 // 1x10

12 and 4 // 1x6

12 and 6 // 1x4

12 and 8 //2x1 

12 and 10 // 1x1 

Right hand only

CCS // #3 152 // 2x4 (PB)

Block set // #3 152 // 5x5 

Left hand only 

Ivanko SG // 11 and 8 // 6x5 

Felt strong today and pretty happy with 4xCCS with the #3. Was hoping to manage 5xCCS closes within the three month mark, but that’s only one week away from now. Hah. 

Did you already cert the COC 3 officially?  Or are you just going for the 3.5 because once you get that, the 3 is irrelevant anyway?

On 2/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, bruce1337 said:

Yes its much more accurate for compound strength lifts such as the squat, deadlift, bench, ohp, etc. I don't know how well it works with grippers.

It would be interesting to compile data from as many people as possible regarding their max close and a gripper they can close for about 5 reps. If there is a trend then you can build a formula to calculate more precisely when you are ready to move up to higher grippers.

Good luck with the Ivanko training, I think you will destroy the #3.5 cert!

There was a discussion of that a while back. Ended up settling on RGC*reps*0.0333/2+RGC (or RGC*reps/60 + RGC if you wanted to get a number without rounding).

However I think the more realistic answer is found by trial and error on a personal level. Also totally depends if someone has been training singles or higher rep ranges.

• Like 3