My training for the 3,5# cert.

rippedlikeapig

Hi

Just any other log to keep up with things. 

Have trained specifically grip since Christmas when I got the COC #3 as a gift from my girlfriend. 

Tried to close it and was about 5-7 mm. off. Decided to wipe the dust of my old Ivanko gripper I bought when I was 17. Never trained with it because my grip got stronger just as fast as my body when I got into powerlifting. 

15th of January, three weeks in I closed it for the first time. 

5th of February I did a CCS close. Did 4-5 single CCS closes that day. 

My routine so far has just been 35-50 reps with high resistance with the ivanko. 3-6 reps. each set until I have reached a minimum of 35 reps. I do this twice a week.

I’ll post some videos soon of the CCS close. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig
  • Like 5

Congrats on the CCS close! How often do you train with grippers?

Thank you bruce1337! 

I train grippers twice a week now. Its very different from weightlifting. First couple of weeks I trained every day and it destroyed my hands. Lesson learned. 

Usually I do my routines after the gym. My hands are warmed up and good to go. 

• Like 1

I was afraid and was on troll alert until I've read about Ivanko trainning. It would be just too much for my ego to meet a man who can close no. 3 without any trainning. :) That would be criminal!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

There are a few who have done that 

Yea. Like every gym has a guy who saw a guy who benched threefiddy on first attempt ever. 😆

I saw Larry Wheels closed no. #3 but  I saw him miss it too. I don't know chronological order. Maybe he really made it first time. But, hey, he is Larry Wheels not just some nobody mechanic from central Iowa.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:59 AM, Goran Paulinič said:

I was afraid and was on troll alert until I've read about Ivanko trainning. It would be just too much for my ego to meet a man who can close no. 3 without any trainning. :) That would be criminal!

No worries! I think I could’ve closed it if I oiled it from the beginning though. I calibrated it at 162lbs. The day I closed it for the first time was the same day I oiled the gripper. The RGC went all the way down to 150 lbs and I remember walking up the stairs and went for an attempt just for fun and closed it right away. It was a huge difference. 

Oh, well. Now we will never know. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig

2 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

No worries! I think I could’ve closed it if I oiled it from the beginning though.

From the "beggining" after X months/years with Ivanko stuff or from the Beggining as BEGINING as the first time ever? :)

On 2/7/2020 at 4:46 PM, Goran Paulinič said:

From the "beggining" after X months/years with Ivanko stuff or from the Beggining as BEGINING as the first time ever? :)

Hah. I understand that I need to be more specific here. From the beginning as of late December 2019. 

I’ve lifted weights for 16 years. When I was 17 I bought an Ivanko gripper in case I needed a better grip. I went into powerlifting from the age of 16-18. My grip turned out to never be an issue and therefore I never used it. 

I’ve always known about grippers of course and every time I had the chance to try one out I did. 

So of course it doesn’t count as “first time ever trying a gripper” in that sense. I apologize. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Hah. I understand that I need to be more specific here. From the beginning of late December 2019. 

I’ve lifted weights for 16 years. When I was 17 I bought an Ivanko gripper in case I needed a better grip. I went into powerlifting from the age of 16-18. My grip turned out to never be an issue and therefore I never used it. 

I’ve always known about grippers of course and every time I had the chance to try one out I did. 

So of course it doesn’t count as “first time ever trying a gripper” in that sense. I apologize. 

It is great achivement nevertheless. I think you should begin to train seriously.

Ivanko gripper - set x rep

warm-ups

11 and 8: 6x4 and 2x3 (left and right) RGC 68kg/ 150lbs

12 and 9: 1x1 (left and right) RGC 79kg/ 174lbs

COC #3 (right only) RGC 68kg/ 150lbs

1x10 (from parallel and deeper)

3x5 (above parallel) 

Still struggling with setting the gripper in the left hand. Need to practice more on that. 

Calibrated the settings on the Ivanko that I use the most. Just for fun. Not too far off I think, but it has a very different feel to it compared to a COC. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig

2 hours ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Calibrated the settings on the Ivanko that I use the most. Just for fun. Not too far off I think, but it has a very different feel to it compared to a COC.

The force distribution on the Ivanko is probably more evenly distributed as compared to torsion spring grippers because of the lever forces applied on the fingers.

Edited by bruce1337

12 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

The force distribution on the Ivanko is probably more evenly distributed as compared to torsion spring grippers because of the lever forces applied on the fingers.

Yes, it’s obviously not the same. But I can still do more reps with the 3# compared to the Ivanko adjusted to 68kg/ 150lbs. And not by the chart, but by RGC. 

Anyways, I haven’t trained with it enough alongside using a torsion spring gripper to really get into it yet. 

Warmups - set x reps

Right hand

COC #3: 5x1 single CCS closes. Two of them be 

COC #3: 1x10 closes a bit above parallel

Left hand

A few easy sets with the Ivanko

If you can do 10 pretty decent reps on a certain gripper what can be estimated as a 1RM?

Edited by rippedlikeapig

16 hours ago, rippedlikeapig said:

If you can do 10 pretty decent reps on a certain gripper what can be estimated as a 1RM?

Its not very accurate, but it works as a ballpark, you can use the Eply 1rm calculator. Just divide the final result by 2. (Weight x reps x 0.033)÷2 then add that value to the weight you just closed.

E.g.

If you close an 100rgc gripper for 10 reps.

(100 x 10 x 0.033) ÷ 2 = 16.5

16.5 + 100 = 116.5 

It works for me, but again its not super accurate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

Its not very accurate, but it works as a ballpark, you can use the Eply 1rm calculator. Just divide the final result by 2. (Weight x reps x 0.033)÷2 then add that value to the weight you just closed.

E.g.

If you close an 100rgc gripper for 10 reps.

(100 x 10 x 0.033) ÷ 2 = 16.5

16.5 + 100 = 116.5 

It works for me, but again its not super accurate

Thank you for your feedback bruce1337! Its probably more accurate let’s say in squat and bench or in the gym in general,  but I’ll play with some of the numbers. I recon it becomes more accurate as the reps goes down. 

Sooner or later I have to buy a few more grippers as I just have one #3 and nothing else beside the Ivanko. 

Good luck with the grip training! 

Yes its much more accurate for compound strength lifts such as the squat, deadlift, bench, ohp, etc. I don't know how well it works with grippers.

It would be interesting to compile data from as many people as possible regarding their max close and a gripper they can close for about 5 reps. If there is a trend then you can build a formula to calculate more precisely when you are ready to move up to higher grippers.

Good luck with the Ivanko training, I think you will destroy the #3.5 cert!

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

Yes its much more accurate for compound strength lifts such as the squat, deadlift, bench, ohp, etc. I don't know how well it works with grippers.

It would be interesting to compile data from as many people as possible regarding their max close and a gripper they can close for about 5 reps. If there is a trend then you can build a formula to calculate more precisely when you are ready to move up to higher grippers.

Good luck with the Ivanko training, I think you will destroy the #3.5 cert!

Yes. Usually 3 reps in squat and bench are 10kg, 6 is 20kg and 9-10 usually means 30kg. But my experience is that as you progress and get stronger you have a higher top-end strength and that 3, 6 or 9-10 doesn’t necessarily means 10, 20 or 30kg. I guess percentage is a factor that plays in here too. 

Thank you! I just ordered a #3,5@177 gripper from cannon power works. Can’t wait to give it a try. Closed or not, it will tell me more about where my 1RM is. Then I can start collecting grippers from there. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig
  • Like 2

Warm-ups - set x reps

RH

Ivanko gripper

12 and 4: 1x8

12 and 6: 1x6

12 and 8: 3x1

12 and 10: 2x1 - PR and RGC 183

11 and 8: 1x10 

COC #3: 1x1 CCS

LH

11 and 8: 4x5 

Very pleased with todays workout. Were a bit sore maybe, but disappeared as I got warmed up. 

Progress is coming along fine and I’m getting stronger each week it seems. Have to rest until friday, if not even longer. My hands are pretty beaten up. 

Edited by rippedlikeapig

8 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Saw some benching from you on Instagram, impressive stuff! 

Good luck with your training. 

Thank you Hopefully! Good luck to you as well! 

Edited by rippedlikeapig
  • Like 1

Warm-up - set x reps

LH and RH

Ivanko gripper

12 and 1: 1x10

12 and 4: 1x6

12 and 7: 1x2

12 and 9: 1x3 

12 and 10: 1x2 right only PR 

12 and 20: 1x1 

Got my #3,5 from CPW today. Pre-rated at 177lbs. 

Closed it maybe five out of ten attempts today, but they were all a bit messy. 

Did 10 single CCS with the #3 after this. 

My hands are pretty sore still after last week so I’m gonna give it a few more days to rest. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rippedlikeapig said:

Got my #3,5 from CPW today. Pre-rated at 177lbs. 

Closed it maybe five out of ten attempts today, but they were all a bit messy. 

Did 10 single CCS with the #3 after this. 

My hands are pretty sore still after last week so I’m gonna give it a few more days to rest. 

Closing a #3.5 on the first try is no joke! Well done man.

• Like 1