Thor (and his dad!) finally lifts the Inch DB

Tommy J.

Point of interest starts at about 2:25-2:30

it is uplifting as an Inch lifter to see a former WSM and current podium finisher in WSM still be excited for this lift. I guess at times I forget how big of a deal it is to lift it given how routinely I see a couple homies half his weight dominate it. And at times have my own dominant lifts of it. Especially when I take into account how lazy I am with any kind of strength training! Or how little the guys I train with even focus on such a lift!

obviously I don’t count this (his being excited for the lift) as any kind of degrade or slight to his reputation as a WSM. I see it as more of a compliment to those who so easily lift the bell.

just because we lift it doesn’t mean the dude has a weak grip. It just means ours are strong AF. I say this humbly!... because there is no way any of us, regardless how strong our grips are, or how much gear we take, are gonna rep 1,000lb DL’s with a couple reps left in the tank like Thor does. Ever. In our lifetime. Or any of us OH press a 440lb log for reps.

and holy shit! Did you see his dad lift it?! What the crap is going on here?!? 😳

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 6

After watching this video, it doesn't get any clearer where Thor got his genetics from. His old man is an absolute beast in his own right for sure!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

obviously I don’t count this (his being excited for the lift) as any kind of degrade or slight to his reputation as a WSM. I see it as more of a compliment to those who so easily lift the bell.

just because we lift it doesn’t mean the dude has a weak grip. It just means ours are strong AF. I say this humbly!

and holy shit! Did you see his dad lift it?! What the crap is going on here?!? 😳

I remember, in 2016, the footage of Thor struggling to lift the Inch just a few inches. I loved the video, and showed it to some non strength people to say:”Look, the MOUNTAIN cant’ come close to lifting this thing!” I even had a link on some thread showing it, which was fairly obscure, and did not have many views. It didn’t last long, as it was removed from YouTube, probably at his request.

So major kudos to him for practicing it and licking the sucker for no financial incentive, which is a criticism people like us toss towards strength celebrities all the time (“ahh, they don’t/won’t so anything unless there is money in it”). Gives me major respect for him doing that. Maybe it was his dad’s ability that “shamed” him into it in the first place 😎

Very nice for finding that, explaining it and posting it. I would never come across that on my own. TY

The Dad doing BOTH HANDS! That makes it beat all of my favorite Inch videos!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

I thought gear doesn't help in grip (Ode of Haugen said so). 🙃

Lemme just inject these drugs directly into my hands. I'll be able to DOH 500 kg (but my back won't be able to lift it).

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

it is uplifting as an Inch lifter to see a former WSM and current podium finisher in WSM still be excited for this lift. I guess at times I forget how big of a deal it is to lift it given how routinely I see a couple homies half his weight dominate it. And at times have my own dominant lifts of it. Especially when I take into account how lazy I am with any kind of strength training! Or how little the guys I train with even focus on such a lift!

just because we lift it doesn’t mean the dude has a weak grip. It just means ours are strong AF. I say this humbly!... because there is no way any of us, regardless how strong our grips are, or how much gear we take, are gonna rep 1,000lb DL’s with a couple reps left in the tank like Thor does. Ever. In our lifetime. Or any of us OH press a 440lb log for reps.

True. On a side note, do you know that Laine Snook repped the same 95 KG circus bell you see at 2:29 last month?

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I believe his dad is a former armwrestler. So no surprise he has a strong grip.

Yep and trains grip.

51 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Yeah yeah lol

• Haha 1

What this says to me is that even though grip training is a niche activity, the talent pool isn't so shallow that we have no idea how strong someone can be on specific lifts. I think people like Tanner, Igor, Alexey, and Laine are actually pretty close to the maximum human potential on thickbar. I waver back and forth on that, though. If there ever was something like an "NBA Combine" and they had a grip event, we would probably see some outrageous lifts considering the average NBA height is 6'7".

Maybe if we can increase the inclusivity of the sport and get some sponsors, we'll get to see if we truly have the strongest hands on the planet.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

What this says to me is that even though grip training is a niche activity, the talent pool isn't so shallow that we have no idea how strong someone can be on specific lifts. I think people like Tanner, Igor, Alexey, and Laine are actually pretty close to the maximum human potential on thickbar. I waver back and forth on that, though. If there ever was something like an "NBA Combine" and they had a grip event, we would probably see some outrageous lifts considering the average NBA height is 6'7".

Maybe if we can increase the inclusivity of the sport and get some sponsors, we'll get to see if we truly have the strongest hands on the planet.

I agree with this. Good post.
However I do think even the really large people could struggle at thick bar, at least with Inch db's since their hand might actually be too wide in some cases.
Mark Felix has huge hands and he backs it up by having huge forearms as well, he's a WSM competitior and he might have larger hands than any other strongman at the elite level(?)

The perfect hand for thick bar is probably a very long hand but very lean and not too wide. It would certainly be interesting to see some NBA players try the Inch db. 

When I met Thor's dad in August he had a hell of a handshake lol.  Lifted some fat handled dumbbells with him at Thor's gym (Dad was the only one there at the time)…  Didn't see the Inches there though- too bad.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

11 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I don’t know if you’re just suffering from a language barrier situation, or if you just skip entire sentences as you read on purpose?, but you completely just attempted to twist what I said.

nowhere in my post, at all, in no way, did I say gear wouldn’t help you’re grip.

what. I. Said. Was. “because there is no way any of us, regardless how strong our grips are, or how much gear we take, are gonna rep 1,000lb DL’s with a couple reps left in the tank like Thor does. Ever. In our lifetime. Or any of us OH press a 440lb log for reps.”

got it this time? I’ll go ahead and quote it again. 

because there is no way any of us, regardless how strong our grips are, or how much gear we take, are gonna rep 1,000lb DL’s with a couple reps left in the tank like Thor does. Ever. In our lifetime. Or any of us OH press a 440lb log for reps.”

No, hold on.. one more time!

because there is no way any of us, regardless how strong our grips are, or how much gear we take, are gonna rep 1,000lb DL’s with a couple reps left in the tank like Thor does. Ever. In our lifetime. Or any of us OH press a 440lb log for reps.”

mkay. I think we’re good. Only a fool could misunderstand it a 4th time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

True. On a side note, do you know that Laine Snook repped the same 95 KG circus bell you see at 2:29 last month?

Yep and trains grip.

Yeah yeah lol

👏🏻 Hoooray Laine!

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

But to clarify, I will go ahead and say I agree with Odd that I don’t think they will help your grip much, or if any. Obviously Thor was loaded to the gills on supplements before when he tried, and failed lifting the inch. 

So there’s that? 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, BradProv said:

When I met Thor's dad in August he had a hell of a handshake lol.  Lifted some fat handled dumbbells with him at Thor's gym (Dad was the only one there at the time)…  Didn't see the Inches there though- too bad.....

I think @Gingernaut25 might be bringing his to nationals. 

I'm just happy that Thor had to get as amped up as I did to lift it.  Makes me feel a little better about myself.  How old is his dad?  Another member of the over 50 crowd?

I think that it's pretty cool that he took it as serious as he did and got as excited as he did.  I'd be a lot more excited about the incline press.  lol

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'm just happy that Thor had to get as amped up as I did to lift it.  Makes me feel a little better about myself.  How old is his dad?  Another member of the over 50 crowd?

I think that it's pretty cool that he took it as seriou as he did and got as excited as he did.  I'd be a lot more excited about the incline press.  lol

Yeah it was pretty cool to see his genuine reaction. It sort of proves the strongmen aren’t “afraid” to try shit smaller guys can do easily, like many assume.

could be a rare thing tho.. Thor is one that isn’t afraid to lose to a smaller guy at random feats of strength, obviously. Unsure on how other strongmen might take it. He (Thor) did an Armwrestling video with Devon a few years back and got handled. And didn’t really seem to care. Which imo is awesome of him. I mean obviously no one in the know of arm wrestling is gonna dare hate on a guy because Devon beats them at arm wrestling... no matter the size of the guy trying! But still, Thor took losing at something strength related to a much smaller guy like a champ. Knowing full well others were watching. He also was willing to do some grip stuff he had never done along side Larry Wheels on some implements Juji brought to his gym. Also on camera for hundreds of thousands to see.

interesting side note: does this mean the guys we so eagerly want to see do grip stuff, have technically already done it with more exposure (via their subscribers) than any of us or our comps can offer? 🧐 I think yes. With 1 caveat being I’d personally love to see the entire WSM lineup max out DO on the axle.

Back to the discussion, i would think a guy like him could maybe even be talked into trying an Armlifting event if the cards fell just right. 🤷🏼‍♂️

By the looks of things, he obviously wouldn’t win if he did. But I’m betting he would give high praise to those who beat him. And I doubt he would make excuses for not winning.

disclaimer: Thor is cool and all, but I’m still a Pritchett guy!

Edited by Tommy J.

Thor only really cares when he competes. When I did the husafell stone last summer and the grip stuff earlier the same year at Thor's gym he was always humble when someone out lifted him. A gracious host even if he was tired leading up to the Arnold's and with way to many people at his gym that week

• Like 2