What is gripper wide set (ws)?

Goran Paulinič

Is there any definition for wide set? Is this any set wider than distance between parallel handles? I begin "wide set" so that pinky extends fully at the biggest angle between handles and other three fingers still have firm grip on a handle. Then during the close pinky joins and finish the close with other fingers. I am asking this because I am logging my workouts and am wishing to write down right thing. I was doing "mms" set for some months before I figured out it wasn't mms set and then I had to correct log. It was anoying. 😑 I want to be sure before it is too late again.

Well. It may be crucial when I will come back in future after long pause or (god please no) injury. I know now what works. I was doing "some set" (I forgot what I was doing) and thinking that it was MMS set. It wasn't. And it wasn't for at least one month. So I went back then and correct all workouts and instead mms I wrote "whatever." So I know now not to consider this part seriously. I was total noob.

TNS > CCS > Wide Set > MMS > Deep Set

Like @Fist of Fury said, they are your logs, call em what you want. The definition only matter when going for a cert. But as a guide, a GHP blocks short end is MMS and long end is a Wide Set.

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 3

Thanks. It is good to know what I am doing. It seems banal but when you fill half a year with wrong data then you begin to wonder: why am I logging anything in the first place?! :)

I never trained WS before seriously. I tried "something" here and there but for last half a year I am trainning MMS sets. I think I better begin to train WS because I am level #2.5 closer now and I am begining to flirt with the idea CCS Coc #3.

I really don't understand your question. You can call your workouts whatever you want.

I can call my workout "$£{£dsjdjd" as long as I know what it is.

2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

"$£{£dsjdjd"

Sounds like Finnish to me 😂

Just measure whatever you think is a wide set, and then say that number so you can compare in the future. 2 inch, 3 icnh, 2.5 inch do whatever you want, even 5.76 centimeters if you're feeling adventurous 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Sounds like Finnish to me 😂

Then it's probably a good exercise if we're talking grip :D 

• Haha 1

It is not so difficult. It doesn't matter what the string of characters are at that moment now. But memory isn't reliable instrument. That I know from experience. Im 45 years old after all and have seen many things and memory tricks in my life. After 5 years I wouldn't be able to know what 333454zz gripper move means probably. But if it is named "wide set" I will know more exactly what I was doing if I will learn it now.

Edited by Goran Paulinič

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Just measure whatever you think is a wide set, and then say that number so you can compare in the future. 2 inch, 3 icnh, 2.5 inch do whatever you want, even 5.76 centimeters if you're feeling adventurous 

That is sound advice. I was beggining to think in that direction.

58 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

It is not so difficult. It doesn't matter what the string of characters are at that moment now. But memory isn't reliable instrument. That I know from experience. Im 45 years old after all and have seen many things and memory tricks in my life. After 5 years I wouldn't be able to know what 333454zz gripper move means probably. But if it is named "wide set" I will know more exactly what I was doing if I will learn it now.

So whats the problem, sorry but I still don't understand what you're asking about? If you write in your log: "3x5 wide set" how is that going to be a problem? 

EDIT: Are you asking about what the definition of a "wide set" is? In that case there is none. It's everything which is wider than parallel and is not measured by a block or card and is not a TNS or a NS.

• Like 1

You know, I began to think about it when I was continualy confronted with WS or "wide set" in different logs on this forum. People write down "wide set" then number of sets and reps and that's it. I wonder if they will know exactly what they were doing on a given day after two years?
But now fog is cleared and I can go on in peace. :)

37 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

You know, I began to think about it when I was continualy confronted with WS or "wide set" in different logs on this forum. People write down "wide set" then number of sets and reps and that's it. I wonder if they will know exactly what they were doing on a given day after two years?
But now fog is cleared and I can go on in peace. :)

The only way you can know for sure is to always measure with a block. If you didn't then all you need to do is write down "wide set", "MMS", "Parallel set". I'm sure most people know exactly what they're doing. I would be really surprised if anyone who has trained grip seriously don't know what to call their workouts. And it's not too important either, once you get in to certifications like the MM and such you also record what you do. I have houndreds of gripper videos. If I want to know what I did a certain date I will just browse my video archive. 
Everything that is not there was not important.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:02 PM, bruce1337 said:

TNS > CCS > Wide Set > MMS > Deep Set

Like @Fist of Fury said, they are your logs, call em what you want. The definition only matter when going for a cert. But as a guide, a GHP blocks short end is MMS and long end is a Wide Set.

What would you consider between a TNS and a CCS there's quite a gap there , tends to be where most of my training is from 

What stated as a wide set above is probably what i'd call a Pretty deep set, i prefer to be out a bit wider for more range of motion.  but i do "wide" set 5x5's when i cant quite do 5 on my normal set.

Edited by PronatorKyle
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, PronatorKyle said:

What would you consider between a TNS and a CCS there's quite a gap there , tends to be where most of my training is from 

What stated as a wide set above is probably what i'd call a Pretty deep set, i prefer to be out a bit wider for more range of motion.  but i do "wide" set 5x5's when i cant quite do 5 on my normal set.

TNS attempts on HeavyGrips is between a CCS and TNS on other grippers such as IronMind, RB, GHP, etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

TNS attempts on HeavyGrips is between a CCS and TNS on other grippers such as IronMind, RB, GHP, etc.

Yeah, I quite like Heavy Grips (at least the Genuine ones)  I've had some bad ones that im almost certain are fakes. not even the same materials used , but the genuine ones ive got all have been great quality and consistent , i tend to have to move them further up my hand and use alot more flat finger pressing power to close them. CoC's i generally just get a nice curl and wrap around.  HG also suit my left hand better they are more comfortable and dont give me bone breaking pain in the centre of my left hand like COC's do,  i get somewhat frustrated with grippers that are set in a CCS spread , it's almost like i want that bit of extra bite back before i start the close to get my power down.