Question about padding & leverage

Fist of Fury

Been starting to train more double overhand and it's more fun now than ever. I wonder how much leverage you usually have when you're bending let's say a 7" or 6" bar in single wraps. I usually mark the steel I'm going to bend in the middle. Other than that I don't really have a clue on how far out I want the pads. Feels really random to me. How do you guys do it?

I bet you could get a lot of great input from the benders on the forum if you post a video while wrapping and bending.

2" in from the ends for imps, I can get away with 1.5" on BBW but then it doesn't really translate to kinking with imps so... not into that at the moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wobbler said:

2" in from the ends for imps, I can get away with 1.5" on BBW but then it doesn't really translate to kinking with imps so... not into that at the moment.

What does "BBW" stand for?

Benders Battlefeild?

Yeah, same size 12x12 cordura nylon but thicker/stiffer than imps.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Been starting to train more double overhand and it's more fun now than ever. I wonder how much leverage you usually have when you're bending let's say a 7" or 6" bar in single wraps. I usually mark the steel I'm going to bend in the middle. Other than that I don't really have a clue on how far out I want the pads. Feels really random to me. How do you guys do it?

I do 2” with singles and 1.5” with doubles. This is what works best for me.

• Like 3

I put my index fingers on the bar though, so my hands are a little but further in... some people put index fingers on the wraps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wobbler said:

Yeah, what wobbler said.  For me, what worked best was putting more of the bar into the pads the thinner the bending wraps.  So with IMPs the bar was about 2" in the pads.  Double pads (fat pads!) I could put the bar about 1" in the pads. 

This may be obvious too, but the less you use leverage, the more you use upper back strength. 

This may be not so obvious, and more of an individual thing for me. But with pads and hands farther out, your elbows end up together and you run out of movement with less of a bend in the bar (you are done with the first hit when you have nowhere to go with your elbows.) Putting pads and hands further on the bar, let's me get more out of the first hit, and even if I really struggle to get it started, it's a longer/bigger first hit. That heats the bar up more and leads to a faster bend overall if you can keep it moving. It makes the whole chain (wraps, hands, wrists) stiffer so when your elbows stop moving, the bar is bent further.

So don't just accept that your kink is relatively strong, try to move the pads/hands further into the bar (especially with imps) and unless the bar doesn't move at all, you'll be in better shape after one hit.

May be repeating myself a bit, but trying to explain it a few different ways.