Bending pros, where did I go wrong

king crusher

Okay since a lot of the bending pros are back to posting,  I looked back at some of my fails and am posting this 6" 19/64th 520lb fail. I failed a few hard bars at this same spot. The kink went quick and right before I could really get it into my hands to crush it was just a little too wide still. Always felt like my hands got in the way.

What should I have been doing here?

I have a red nail cut to 6" video I failed the same spot.

Thanks

• Like 2

Keep one hand closed and open the other hand. Could drive down at an angle from there. Also, keep bar high up. Hard to explain. Not sure if this makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

This is a typical position (transfer from sweep to crush - around 10cm or 4") where everybody get stopped from time to time. You have to work with this weak spot in this angle.
But your bar was moving down on your chest height. Keep the bar during the whole bend high under your chin, so you can generate more strength from your upper body and you have a better leverage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks guys will use those tips as I was thinking about wrapping up some light stuff. 

19 minutes ago, Danny Young said:

For me I usually skip the sweep and go straight into interlocking the fingers to start the crush.

On this bend it was not quite bent enough for that, I tried. Opening one hand as Donc said sounds like a good idea.

Once I can get both hands interlocked around it I can get it. But as horrido said it's that spot just outside that was a sticking point. Getting the kink to keep going further might work too.

I also get stuck there, I have never been able to move any reasonably heavy bar with one hand closed one hand open.

What worked for me was stopping a little short of that range, take a breather, choke my hands up closer to the center of the bar, then hit it hard until the pinky side of my hands are touching, and go as fast as possible into the crush, hopefully while the bar is still warm.

Edit: one more note, you always interlock you fingers a certain way, right? Try doing it the other way and see if it helps the start of your crush. To be clear, I usually put my left index finger on top, sometimes a bar will move better with my right index on top.

Edited by wobbler
Interlock
  • Like 2

Seems to be the hardest part for me too, apart from the actual kink which I can't even do DO. When I try to use one hand open I usually get stronger by "pushing" the bar in to the open hand. So it's not a 100% symmetrical movement for me. Probably is really bad for the body to do so but it gives me more strength at least.

• Like 1

This is last DO video I made. Start at about 2:40, this feels good for me there.

• Like 1