6th man to bench press 700#

Tommy J.

I know for example that average man (it means average physicaly active) deadlifts 60 kg on first try. That's it. And I cannot count three men here as real untrained (averagely phisicaly active). That I am beginning to understand gradually.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

I did almost 400 lbs when I first tried deadlift and years later I haven't lifted much more than that. Depends on what you do before you try, as you said :) 

Right! But i can say ive always been naturally stronger than my peers even in college with minimal effort.. not bragging. I wish i could wrap my head around it.

3 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

It is very important because if I somehow figure it out what is possible for an untrained male I can begin to imagine what is possible naturally. The bigger the beggining the bigger the ending. That is how it goes. So from that we can slowly begin to infer what is naturally possible.

But we already know, we have decades of data and can infer for other lifts. 500lb bench is totally reasonable for someone with dedicated long term training, 750 deadlift seems plausible, big Joe here pulled 700 and he didn't even have a huge training age, could have easily gotten past that if he didn't get injured. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goran Paulinič said:

I know for example that average man (it means average physicaly active) deadlifts 60 kg on first try. That's it. And I cannot count three men here as real untrained (averagely phisicaly active). That I am beginning to understand gradually.

The woman here must be bigger... we must be picking up bigger woman at a young age lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

You keep pulling out this 60kg number, I've had dozens of people in my gym deadlifting for the first time and nobody has ever maxed less than that. Sounds like you have an odd sample size because that doesn't represent humans. A bodyweight deadlift is extremely easy for anybody in good health. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

But we already know, we have decades of data and can infer for other lifts. 500lb bench is totally reasonable for someone with dedicated long term training, 750 deadlift seems plausible, big Joe here pulled 700 and he didn't even have a huge training age, could have easily gotten past that if he didn't get injured. 

That's fine. But do you need a big talent for these lifts? How much must you lift on first try? Russians were doing a selection on that basis. But you have to know history of a man. A man can tell you that he's completely untrained and couch will be amazed and get him in imidiately in trainning without knowing that this man is already trained.

16 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

I simply cannot imagine how someone untrained (at best "street" trained teenager- like running around, teasing each other, testing basic strength with other teenagers-like armwrestling without any trainning at all, climbing trees, and so on...) CAN lift 450 pounds deadlift on first day. This is beyond my grasp and counter all biology. How can skeleton and joints handle that? It is really ridiculous.

The skeleton is a lot stronger than you are giving it credit for . And take into account the size of the teenagers maki the claim, as well, supporting their own weight. I was close to 300 at a height of 6’4 and Stephen was 6’2 250. There is a lot to take into account. Every man in my family is strong and comes from a bull working back ground. Some people are just “bred strong”. If you have the right gene pool anything, whether it be strength, speed, etc, you get stronger potential. So, not everyone is going to be the same. And barely anyone has done nothing in their lives, at least not before the advent of the internet that has taken so much of our youths physical activity away. 

1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

You keep pulling out this 60kg number, I've had dozens of people in my gym deadlifting for the first time and nobody has ever maxed less than that. Sounds like you have an odd sample size because that doesn't represent humans. A bodyweight deadlift is extremely easy for anybody in good health. 

If im hearing this right they would struggle to pick up 2 bags of sand. Sounds like these average men are people who dont do hard labor

• Like 1

Where are you getting 60 kg for deadlift for an untrained man? That’s absurd! I would think an untrained woman could manage that one. That is a very small number and I do not believe that for one minute. Are you sure you aren’t talking bench press, bro? 

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Where are you getting 60 kg for deadlift for an untrained man? That’s absurd! I would think an untrained woman could manage that one. That is a very small number and I do not believe that for one minute. Are you sure you aren’t talking bench press, bro? 

Yes. It's too small. It is between 70 and 90 kg for untrained male when he gets just a little bit used on it. Lets say it is possible to deadlift between 70 and 90 kg for an untrained male on first trainning session ever. Techically it is possible. Practically rarelly.

Some can lift even more. But 180 kg and more for an untrained on a first day. Well obviously it goes somehow.

Edited by Goran Paulinič

Are you testing people who have just woken from a coma, or maybe people in a nursing home? I don't understand how a healthy adult male could not deadlift at least their bodyweight without some injury or disability. Just being able to walk up stairs with some groceries would give you enough strength for that. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Climber028 said:

Are you testing people who have just woken from a coma, or maybe people in a nursing home? I don't understand how a healthy adult male could not deadlift at least their bodyweight without some injury or disability. Just being able to walk up stairs with some groceries would give you enough strength for that. 

You wish. But it doesn't go like that. Men struggle heavily with their bodyweight on first trainning. Men are not trolls. Ofcourse there are some trolls among us obviosly.

• Like 1

You wish. But it doesn't go like that. Men struggle heavily with their bodyweight on first trainning. Men are not trolls. Ofcourse there are some trolls among us obviosly.

I guess since im a troll im going to be making shirts and selling them to all my fellow trolls and ogres

• Haha 2

We are in a very sad state of affairs if a healthy untrained male cannot deadlift 70-80 kilos.  Perhaps the technology age has atrophied our population more than I’ve feared. 

No wishes, this is what I've seen with my own eyes as I teach people how to deadlift. The only people I have ever even had to start below 50kg are small females and children. 

2 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

I’ll take my troll status and run with it, how bout you, Steve?

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

We are in a very sad state of affairs if a healthy untrained male cannot deadlift 70-80 kilos.  Perhaps the technology age has atrophied our population more than I’ve feared. 

Good thing we have touchscreens, these people might be too weak to press a button. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’ll take my troll status and run with it, how bout you, Steve?

Proudly!! Probably going to change my gripboard name to GRIP TROLL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Goran i can appreciate your fight for the average man! But i think im done here. 

• Like 2

Ok. Lets say our base strength for average untrained male is 80 kg which is about average body weight for male. Is someone who will come so untrained as average man is untrained (god knows?!) on first session and lift 200 kilos a human being or is it troll (nonexistend thus).

You're right. It is pointless to continue with this. I believe it is exeptional if someone however he is trainned or untrainned in his life (outside barbells) comes in the gym and lift 200 kilos on that session. Some work hard and even harder in their lifes and can't do that on first session.

Edited by Goran Paulinič
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Ok. Lets say our base strength for average untrained male is 80 kg which is about average body weight for male. Is someone who will come so untrained as average man is untrained (god knows?!) on first session and lift 200 kilos a human being or is it troll (nonexistend thus).

He will be a human being. Some are faster, some are slower. Some are stronger, some are weaker. Some are fat, some are fit. We are all different and some are more blessed than others, this includes intelligence. Work with what you’ve been blessed with and CAPITALIZE ON IT BRUTTHAAAA!!!

21 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

He will be a human being. Some are faster, some are slower. Some are stronger, some are weaker. Some are fat, some are fit. We are all different and some are more blessed than others, this includes intelligence. Work with what you’ve been blessed with and CAPITALIZE ON IT BRUTTHAAAA!!!

💯