6th man to bench press 700#

Tommy J.

Just now, PronatorKyle said:

🤮🤮🤮 Not one benchpress was done that video lol.
Arching to a degree is required but that's just taking the piss , i guess that;s why they cant cry about sumo Dead lifts when people are shortening every other range of motion to make an easier lift except squats   quarter rep deadlifts and bench  fly in competition but there's hate on quarter squats lol whole federation is a joke at this point.

I have coined the term “Spoto Squats” for high squats. 😬

but Spoto squats are still better than half or quarter squats! 😝

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

I give up. Yes record was 365 before WW2. But there weren't many men who lifted then. So, I would say 500 pounds is roof for natty. You can believe whatever you want as I can. Be well. No harm.

👍🏻

So I phoned a friend on this thread. Eric is a USAPL elite lifter, ref, and very in the know on the ins and outs of that org.

mods, please don’t lock the thread before he posts?.. 🙏🏻

Its civil thus far. and could turn into a very helpful thread for some accurate bench press history if allowed to stay open.

And Kyle brought some good attention to detail by quoting my post above. Of the 500lb+ benchers listed on the raw open category, which appears to be multiple weight classes, how many were done with the aforementioned contortionist bench?

my guess is many of the lighter guys listed could have been contortionists. Because I just can’t see a big guy arching like that..

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

#44 on that list is Dennis Cieri, who is one of the greatest drug-free benchers of all-time. He went 30 years undefeated Raw bench press and was drug tested over 100x in 30 years! If you have seen him you would think no way can he bench over 500lbs at his BWT- usually around 205lbs but guys can do it. Bench Press in U.S. is most popular lift besides 12 ounce curls so it doesn't surprise me the number of 500 plus benchers naturally. Tommy alluded to it, but I would imagine in prison thousands can do 500lb plus, too.  

My last post was not aimed at Dennis! Dennis sounds like a bad dude! The fact that you’re vouching for him combined with the fact that you do super narrow grip full stroke (and STRONG!) presses, tells me that he was likely also a full stroke bencher.

edit: which is amazing at his weight! Almost makes me want to give up!

Not really!... no way I’m throwing in the towel yet! 😜

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

Please, look at these nombers (link) and tell me if it isn't at least suspitious that big lifts began in 50's? In 50's roids came among populus as is well known and hugh! bench record improved 100 kilos in no time! Those must have been some ninja turtles who came out of the blue. My brain darkens again.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Progression_of_the_bench_press_world_record

53 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

#44 on that list is Dennis Cieri, who is one of the greatest drug-free benchers of all-time. He went 30 years undefeated Raw bench press and was drug tested over 100x in 30 years! If you have seen him you would think no way can he bench over 500lbs at his BWT- usually around 205lbs but guys can do it. Bench Press in U.S. is most popular lift besides 12 ounce curls so it doesn't surprise me the number of 500 plus benchers naturally. Tommy alluded to it, but I would imagine in prison thousands can do 500lb plus, too.  

And I’m eat up with it! 😁 the bench prolly will remain my favorite lift forever. And is already the lift I’ve put more time and effort into than any other strength goal. Even when I’m not benching, I’m studying bench. Full tilt bench nerd. Now I “just” need the bench accolades to complete the obsession... 😔

side note, I was SO stoked when Julius brought the record back to the USA! Imo, that’s a record that America should NEVER let get away again. Only 1 non American 700+ bencher in the lineup. And if I’m being honest, I was worried a bit that no one would dethrone Kirill any time soon.. that guy is a machine. Flawless in every way on the bench. When he did the 738, it literally didn’t even look like a max. I’m betting he could have doubled that lift that day. Paused!

that said, if Julius wants to keep the record safe, then he has to hit 800+.. because Kirill is still out there.. young. And injury free. And could come back with something off the charts at any moment.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

My last post was not aimed at Dennis! Dennis sounds like a bad dude! The fact that you’re vouching for him combined with the fact that you do super narrow grip full stroke (and STRONG!) presses, tells me that he was likely also a full stroke bencher.

edit: which is amazing at his weight! Almost makes me want to give up!

Not really!... no way I’m throwing in the towel yet! 😜

Yeah baad man for sure. Dennis has pretty darn long arms and fairly flat back bencher who uses no wrist wraps. You are kicking ass on the bench and still not in your prime strength years so blue skies for years💪 Thanks for noticing my narrow grip 💪🦁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Please, look at these nombers (link) and tell me if it isn't at least suspitious that big lifts began in 50's? In 50's roids came among populus as is well known and hugh! bench record improved 100 kilos in no time! Those must have been some ninja turtles who came out of the blue. My brain darkens again.

Or perhaps bench press actually gained popularity.. Before 1950 there's like no data of bench presses at all, you gotta start somewhere. 

For example, Januari 2017 Clay Edgins did 5.62 seconds Silverbullet with coc #4 for a new World Record.. 

Januari 2019 Tanner Markle did the current world record of 30.98 seconds... Is that because Tanner supplemented so well or because more people started doing Silverbullet with #4 instead of 3? 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 2

There are some genetic freaks out there.  A member of this board, Kris Hamilton, was going to geared PL meets when he was in college during the late 90s and beating shirted lifters while wearing a t-shirt.  Benched 405 well under 200 lbs bw.  Later, when I was chasing my bench PRs, he started benching again in his late 20s early 30s, and within 4 months was benching 415 at 215ish bw.  He was worried that creatine might mess up his body, so I know he was natty.  No real training program.  Fairly long arms at about 6' tall.  Benched a lot in high school for football, but that's about it.  Just had freakish genetics for the BP.  So, yea, I'm sure there are a bunch of bigger guys out there that have done 500 or more natty, or could have with training.  But I don't think the ceiling is a lot higher than that, when there have been only a handful of genetic freaks "supplemented" to the gills ever bench 700.  I don't know what the exact number is for a natty ceiling, but it is probably somewhere in the 550 range at best today for the biggest guys.  It will keep creeping up though as humans learn even more about training and nutrition and the natural inclination of meatheads to keep pushing the limits.  

The other thing that makes me think 500 is doable natty is this: if a terrible bencher like me can get above 300, 500+ should be attainable for those good at the lift.

All that being said, if you are natty and under 300 lbs, a 400 lb bench is crazy crazy good.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

And I’m eat up with it! 😁 the bench prolly will remain my favorite lift forever. And is already the lift I’ve put more time and effort into than any other strength goal. Even when I’m not benching, I’m studying bench. Full tilt bench nerd. Now I “just” need the bench accolades to complete the obsession... 😔

side note, I was SO stoked when Julius brought the record back to the USA! Imo, that’s a record that America should NEVER let get away again. Only 1 non American 700+ bencher in the lineup. And if I’m being honest, I was worried a bit that no one would dethrone Kirill any time soon.. that guy is a machine. Flawless in every way on the bench. When he did the 738, it literally didn’t even look like a max. I’m betting he could have doubled that lift that day. Paused!

that said, if Julius wants to keep the record safe, then he has to hit 800+.. because Kirill is still out there.. young. And injury free. And could come back with something off the charts at any moment.

I was a bench nerd when I was younger for sure. Heck, I would bench on Monday’s and breathed bench press 24/7 365. I was always looking at the Bench calculators and such😁

I agree about Julius!  He has the belt and no signs of slowing down. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

I’m not disagreeing that the doping is a thing. But what I won’t do to myself or anyone else, is put an arbitrary ceiling on how far I think I can go, or anyone else can go natty. I think it’s counter productive to anyone on the hunt natty to even plant a seed of doubt. If you’re gonna do that, at least be generous.. with say, 600?

I’ll elaborate.. let’s say that the highest natty bench is 600. And then let’s take into consideration the widely agreed upon percentage that PEDs give in a perfect situation- 25-30%. Add 25-30% to 600 and you’ve got 850ish! Meaning that if a guy can hit 600 natty, then it’s plausible he could also hit 800+ geared! Which would make calling a 600 natty bench super optimistic, and maybe even make a guy believe he can hit 800+ on meds. Which plants no negative seeds on anyone, since 800+ hasn’t been done yet.

complicated?... I hope I’m making sense.. just trying to be optimistic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Or perhaps bench press actually gained popularity.. Before 1950 there's like no data of bench presses at all, you gotta start somewhere. 

For example, Januari 2017 Clay Edgins did 5.62 seconds Silverbullet with coc #4 for a new World Record.. 

Januari 2019 Tanner Markle did the current world record of 30.98 seconds... Is that because Tanner supplemented so well or because more people started doing Silverbullet with #4 instead of 3? 

Tanner is just a bad dude. I still remember all the texts and phone calls I got the night he showed up to an arm wrestling practice at Adam Irrgang’s and killed the inch first try ever at like 170ish BW. He’s just naturally gifted.

and the crazy part is I don’t even think he’s near his potential! Also note there has been no sudden jumps in his strength level. Just a nice steady steam roll of getting better and better.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

Just now, Tommy J. said:

Tanner is just a bad dude. I still remember all the texts and phone calls I got night he showed up to an arm wrestling practice at Adam Irrgang’s and killed the inch first try ever at like 170ish BW. He’s just naturally gifted.

and the crazy part is I don’t even think he’s near his potential! Also note there has been no sudden jumps in his strength level. Just a nice steady steam roll of getting better and better.

Yea that's why I used him as an example! 

If you have a bigger pool of people you will always find exceptional people without roids. And ofc loads of people are using illegal substances. Most of them is nowhere near elite performances aswell. 

• Like 1

I would not compare grip feats/lifts to elite level lifts in power lifting or weight lifting. And the drug use involved that goes along with it. It’s like comparing apples to oranges.  There are  a lot more people who can be “elite” in grip without drugs  (just look around at some here) than there are that can be “elite” in powerlifting and weightlifting without drugs. That’s my opinion ...and everyone’s got one. 

Funny story to share, when I was in my mid 20’s I went down to Cabo. I was wearing no shirt and just walking around back streets and a local teenager asked how much I can bench press - my response “135 lbs with a liftoff” and the kid was like wow🤣

26 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I’m not disagreeing that the doping is a thing. But what I won’t do to myself or anyone else, is put an arbitrary ceiling on how far I think I can go, or anyone else can go natty. I think it’s counter productive to anyone on the hunt natty to even plant a seed of doubt. If you’re gonna do that, at least be generous.. with say, 600?

I’ll elaborate.. let’s say that the highest natty bench is 600. And then let’s take into consideration the widely agreed upon percentage that PEDs give in a perfect situation- 25-30%. Add 25-30% to 600 and you’ve got 850ish! Meaning that if a guy can hit 600 natty, then it’s plausible he could also hit 800+ geared! Which would make calling a 600 natty bench super optimistic, and maybe even make a guy believe he can hit 800+ on meds. Which plants no negative seeds on anyone, since 800+ hasn’t been done yet.

complicated?... I hope I’m making sense.. just trying to be optimistic.

Although I suppose the same could be said for 550...

4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I would not compare grip feats/lifts to elite level lifts in power lifting or weight lifting. And the drug use involved that goes along with it. It’s like comparing apples to oranges.  There are  a lot more people who can be “elite” in grip without drugs  (just look around at some here) than there are that can be “elite” in powerlifting and weightlifting without drugs. That’s my opinion ...and everyone’s got one. 

The comparison was about when something gains popularity and more people do it, the results will increase.  That's comparable in any sport 

Just now, Tommy J. said:

Although I suppose the same could be said for 550...

Where would you say the line for deadlifts go? 

7 minutes ago, Lennix said:

The comparison was about when something gains popularity and more people do it, the results will increase.  That's comparable in any sport 

Regardless of the popularity of either sports , I still think way more people can be better at grip than have the potential to be powerlifting or weightlifting gods. Sure the pool will increase but grip is much easier than the other 2 to be elite at. I don’t know if I think that because it comes easy to me individually, but you see a lot more people who have never done grip do an elite feat or two right  out of the gate than you do someone who has never busted their butt powerlifting bench 400 or deadlift 600 on the first try without training. Like that skinny fella that lifted Tommy’s inch on His you tube page a few months ago after never doing any grip. But, like I said, that’s my opinion... just like a  butt 🕳... we all gots em!

Edited by Guest

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

Regardless of the popularity of either sports , I still think way more people can be better at grip than have the potential to be powerlifting or weightlifting gods. Sure the pool will increase but grip is much easier than the other 2 to be elite at. I don’t know if I think that because it comes easy to me individually, but you see a lot more people who have never done grip do an elite feat or two right  out of the gate than you do someone who has never busted their butt powerlifting bench 400 or deadlift 600 on the first try without training. Like that skinny fella that lifted Tommy’s inch on His you tube page a few months ago after never doing any grip. 

That's not what I said, so your correcting me on something i didn't say. 

I just pointed out if something gains popularity, the results will get better because the pool is deeper. 

2 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Where would you say the line for deadlifts go? 

No idea brother. Only reason I feel bold enough to speak on bench is because it’s all I study.

also, much like bench, there are complicated variables with DL, too.. sumo, conventional, raw, geared, geared+sumo, straps, etc etc.

Those factors aside, When thinking PEDs, just remember that 25-30% gains are the number to look for. Just apply that to the best known natural lift by adding those percentages, and subtract those percentages from the best known geared lift. I would say subtract 25-30% from Benni’s lift to get a good idea of best possible natty lift?.. dunno.. that may be a start? Gonna have to be a rough estimate tho to be fair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lennix said:

That's not what I said, so your correcting me on something i didn't say. 

I just pointed out if something gains popularity, the results will get better because the pool is deeper. 

I didn’t correct you... I acknowledged what you said that the more people that do something the more the pool of positive results will increase. I did not dispute that at all.  I am mentioning on when people compare grip to the other lifting games... or compare an 800 pound bench to a gripper close. Way Easier to be elite at grip regardless of the pool of people doing it than to be elite at powerlifting and weightlifting in my opinion. Don’t mean it to be a debate. It’s my observation... especially without PEDs for some very normal looking people.

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Regardless of the popularity of either sports , I still think way more people can be better at grip than have the potential to be powerlifting or weightlifting gods. Sure the pool will increase but grip is much easier than the other 2 to be elite at. I don’t know if I think that because it comes easy to me individually, but you see a lot more people who have never done grip do an elite feat or two right  out of the gate than you do someone who has never busted their butt powerlifting bench 400 or deadlift 600 on the first try without training. Like that skinny fella that lifted Tommy’s inch on His you tube page a few months ago after never doing any grip. But, like I said, that’s my opinion... just like a  butt 🕳... we all gots em!

That was Pete. Pete is awesome.