6th man to bench press 700#

Tommy J.

Not sure of Johnnie’s BW, but it appears he’s the lightest man to bench 700.

Since 4 of the guys to bench 700 or more have done it in the last few years, (Spoto, Kirill, Julius, and Johnnie) and it’s a thing now, any bets on who’s next to bench 700?..

I’m thinking James Strickland is next to hit 700.

Edited by Tommy J.

I know one of these two has gone over 700lbs :)

mendy.png.c958432d925d03031cb911e5456e2151.png

• Like 3

Was this a sanctioned competition? 

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Was this a sanctioned competition? 

Not official. But there is only 1 other guy who has done a 700lb bench unofficially that’s not included in the 6 total. Larry Allen. So if we include Johnnie, then it’s only fair to credit Larry. Bringing the grand total to 7 men in history, still to this day, that have benched 700+ raw, period.

There are more people in the world who have closed a #4 gripper with a MMS than have benched that much weight. By a long shot. Last time we all put our heads together and counted I think we were at about 20-25 men who have closed a #4. Making it (a 700# bench) a genuine and legit feat of rare world class strength.

Johnnie will obviously bench in it a meet soon. He paused it above. Which is wild considering he’s under 300 BW.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, Tommy J. said:

Not sure of Johnnie’s BW, but it appears he’s the lightest man to bench 700.

Since 4 of the guys to bench 700 or more have done it in the last few years, (Spoto, Kirill, Julius, and Johnnie) and it’s a thing now, any bets on who’s next to bench 700?..

I’m thinking James Strickland is next to hit 700.

Don't count out Larry Wheels. Hes hit 675. 

• Like 1

When that bar hit his chest, I thought he died

All this talk of 700 plus pound benchers has got me thinking of one of my childhood powerlifting idols. Jim Williams had an official American Record of 675 lbs done in the 1972 AAU World Championships. The IPF was formed immediately after which finally made WR's a reality. Jim Williams had went on to unofficially bench press 720 lbs. done in front of the whole USA Weightlifting team and judges. I love Bill Kazmaier but it just pisses me off when he was given credit as the first man to bench press 300 kg in competition in 1981. Jim Williams was light years ahead of his time. He was the true king of bench press in my opinion. I was lucky enough to speak to him years back and he stated that he bench pressed a BARE MINIMUM 5 DAYS A WEEK! I asked him why so much because that went against everything I was ever taught. He then replied, "How often do you eat? Everyday right? What do you think would happen if you only ate once or twice a week? You'd barely have enough strength to raise a fork to your mouth if you ate like that. Same applies to the bench press. If you want to get better at it you have to train it all the time!"  I Know this logic sounds crazy but it clearly worked for the man. 

Edited by HandsofStone
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 4:27 PM, HandsofStone said:

All this talk of 700 plus pound benchers has got me thinking of one of my childhood powerlifting idols. Jim Williams had an official American Record of 675 lbs done in the 1972 AAU World Championships. The IPF was formed immediately after which finally made WR's a reality. Jim Williams had went on to unofficially bench press 720 lbs. done in front of the whole USA Weightlifting team and judges. I love Bill Kazmaier but it just pisses me off when he was given credit as the first man to bench press 300 kg in competition in 1981. Jim Williams was light years ahead of his time. He was the true king of bench press in my opinion. I was lucky enough to speak to him years back and he stated that he bench pressed a BARE MINIMUM 5 DAYS A WEEK! I asked him why so much because that went against everything I was ever taught. He then replied, "How often do you eat? Everyday right? What do you think would happen if you only ate once or twice a week? You'd barely have enough strength to raise a fork to your mouth if you ate like that. Same applies to the bench press. If you want to get better at it you have to train it all the time!"  I Know this logic sounds crazy but it clearly worked for the man. 

I may try benching 7 days a week. When I finally decide to use stuff that recovers me that fast.

• Like 1

That's some impressive horsepower.  Especially at that weight. 

Real question is, when will somene get 800?  I think Maddox might, but these guys all seem to be going strong and then an injury stops them cold and they are done. 

Strickland could get 700 next.  He seems to be a little stalled the last year or so.  We'll see.  Probably just needs to dedicate himself to TRENning a lil harder.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I may try benching 7 days a week. When I finally decide to use stuff that recovers me that fast.

Exactly. A hard training natural will NEVER be benching everyday that's just stupid. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, king crusher said:

Exactly. A hard training natural will NEVER be benching everyday that's just stupid. 

For real. I look at people sideways that tell me they bench 3x a week and claim natty... no way. Not if any of the 3 workouts involve ANY sort of intensity or heavy volume. Otherwise an injury is definite without having help from chemicals. Let alone 7 days a week.

I mean I suppose if a guy did 1 or 2 sets of 5-8 reps at 150# a day he could “technically” get away with benching every day natty. But I can’t see making any noteworthy strength gains going that light for that little reps. I could see it helping physique tremendously for those looking to tone up tho! But if that’s the goal, might as well just do a few pushups every day instead of bench, and save the time spent loading and unloading the bar.

Obviously I don’t think Jim was lying. I think he was a bad dude! And during his run he was technically lifting weights no one else was lifting. So he had to of been doing something everyone else wasn’t doing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

There is no doubt in my mind tho that he was using if he was able to go 7 days a week lifting at his level. I don’t hate him for it btw. I am not against using. It is important to know tho that before anyone take Jim’s advice to go 7 days a week that you can’t do it natty and expect noteworthy strength gains, or injury free training.

Jim was more than forthcoming about his AAS usage back then. You have to remember too, this was 47 years ago!  Size and strength training methods have changed quite a bit since then with the help of science based studies to back them up. The late Charles Poliquin being a prime example and pioneer. Just imagine what a young Jim Williams would of been capable of doing presently? Not to mention, the doses of AAS they did back then was laughable at best compared to today's standards. He also claimed he was nearing the 600 lb bench press mark before taking AAS for the very first time.

Edited by HandsofStone
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, HandsofStone said:

Jim was more than forthcoming about his AAS usage back then. You have to remember too, this was 47 years ago!  Size and strength training methods have changed quite a bit since then with the help of science based studies to back them up. The late Charles Poliquin being a prime example and pioneer. Just imagine what a young Jim Williams would of been capable of doing presently? Not to mention, the doses of AAS they did back then was laughable at best compared to today's standards. He also claimed he was nearing the 600 lb bench press mark before taking AAS for the very first time.

I believe it. Imo, 600 is about where I draw the line of being possible natty for a big, strong, and gifted guy. Obviously rare, but still imo very plausible for a couple handfuls of talented individuals. Anything after about 600 I start to call bs for anyone claiming natty.

but then again, I’m talking a legit, full stroke press...

if we start talking presses that look like this:

then who knows what could be done natty?..

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I believe it. Imo, 600 is about where I draw the line of being possible natty for a big, strong, and gifted guy. Obviously rare, but still imo very plausible for a couple handfuls of talented individuals. Anything after about 600 I start to call bs for anyone claiming natty.

but then again, I’m talking a legit, full stroke press...

if we start talking presses that look like this:

then who knows what could be done natty?..

Lmao that rom was fantastic 

I couldn’t finish the arch-bench video. Triggered. 

• Haha 2

The day is coming when a contortionist midget will, after receiving his lift-off, already be touching the bar to his stomach with locked-out arms. He will “benc press” whatever weight can fit on the sleeves. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

The day is coming when a contortionist midget will, after receiving his lift-off, already be touching the bar to his stomach with locked-out arms. He will “benc press” whatever weight can fit on the sleeves. 

Lol, yep. I’m a big time hater of contortionist bench pressing. 

Goes right in with Kipping pull ups, or kings move arm wrestling.

Unfortunately they all have the support of the crowd that murmurs “but it’s within the rules”.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Lol, yep. I’m a big time hater of contortionist bench pressing. 

Goes right in with Kipping pull ups, or kings move arm wrestling.

Unfortunately they all have the support of the crowd that murmurs “but it’s within the rules”.

I can't arch at all, so I'm going to Brazil to get butt implants.  Size XXXXL

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I can't arch at all, so I'm going to Brazil to get butt implants.  Size XXXXL

I do admittedly try to get arch. But the best I can get is about 1-1/2” of space under my lower back. You could squeeze a flat hand between my back and the bench. And even just that “feels” like a huge arch!

i can’t even imagine arching like they do in the video.. I doubt a guy with any kind of neck girth could even breath arching like that. My fatass would suffocate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

I do admittedly try to get arch. But the best I can get is about 1-1/2” of space under my lower back. You could squeeze a flat hand between my back and the bench. And even just that “feels” like a huge arch!

i can’t even imagine arching like they do in the video.. I doubt a guy with any kind of neck girth could even breath arching like that. My fatass would suffocate!

Just embrace the fat and go with it.  Eat your way to a shorter ROM!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 4:03 AM, Tommy J. said:

Not official. But there is only 1 other guy who has done a 700lb bench unofficially that’s not included in the 6 total. Larry Allen. So if we include Johnnie, then it’s only fair to credit Larry. Bringing the grand total to 7 men in history, still to this day, that have benched 700+ raw, period.

There are more people in the world who have closed a #4 gripper with a MMS than have benched that much weight. By a long shot. Last time we all put our heads together and counted I think we were at about 20-25 men who have closed a #4. Making it (a 700# bench) a genuine and legit feat of rare world class strength.

Johnnie will obviously bench in it a meet soon. He paused it above. Which is wild considering he’s under 300 BW.

How about a 800 raw bench vs closing the tetting Thor Gripper (500-600 rgc?)

which would be more awe-inspiring? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

How about a 800 raw bench vs closing the tetting Thor Gripper (500-600 rgc?)

which would be more awe-inspiring? 

If I’m being honest, a 500-600rgc gripper close isn’t gonna happen. Even if I went full nerd and wanted to believe anyone could be that strong, I honestly can’t even see the aluminum handles not disfiguring or breaking. Given how thick the wire of the spring would have to be, the aluminum handles would be severely hollowed out. And thin. Making them less strong.

im actually curious now what would happen if I put one in a press and tried to make the handles touch. Anyone want to donate a gripper you estimate to be in that range? If so I’ll try it in my press at home. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

If I’m being honest, a 500-600rgc gripper close isn’t gonna happen. Even if I went full nerd and wanted to believe anyone could be that strong, I honestly can’t even see the aluminum handles not disfiguring or breaking. Given how thick the wire of the spring would have to be, the aluminum handles would be severely hollowed out. And thin. Making them less strong.

im actually curious now what would happen if I put one in a press and tried to make the handles touch. Anyone want to donate a gripper you estimate to be in that range? If so I’ll try it in my press at home. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Well there is a video of a machine of some sort closing a Thor. Handles held up. It may not be 100% equivalent to an rgc, but it took 614 poinds to close. I will find it and post it.

IF it did (even though there’s a 99.9999999% chance it won’t) would it be the greatest feat of strength ever?