MMS versus CCS versus TNS

devinhoo

10 hours ago, Cannon said:

I feel preferences for set are 100% tied to hand size.  

20200126_222925.jpg

I can’t say I disagree. Hand size is a thing at a certain point. There is no question.

10 hours ago, Cannon said:

😂 that was fun.

But seriously, I really dislike CCS and wider. I never really got better at it despite trying for years. I think it's a matter of my own hand geometry or something. 

My best MMS was 164. I think I MAY have CCS closed a 120 #2.5 at my peak. My best ever TNS close was probably a 105 #2.  So I was losing close to 60 lbs by widening the set. (I will say that my setting strength was never all that either, and most of my closes were a fair piece wider than "parallel").

I REALLY wanted to cert on the #3 and I can't say I ever got very close. I think my case is extreme though. 

FWIW, I think you could still get the #3 cert Matt. There are many guys out there who can keep all grip disciplines at a high level consecutively. I am not one of them. I have to specialize to chase a said feat down. And in the mean time put other stuff on a back burner per say. So my go to is recommending specializing, unfortunately. It may just be an oversimplified approach to my otherwise lazy training habits?.. but undistracted tunnel vision on a said discipline works for me. And at times works quickly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I can’t say I disagree. Hand size is a thing at a certain point. There is no question.

FWIW, I think you could still get the #3 cert Matt. There are many guys out there who can keep all grip disciplines at a high level consecutively. I am not one of them. I have to specialize to chase a said feat down. And in the mean time put other stuff on a back burner per say. So my go to is recommending specializing, unfortunately. It may just be an oversimplified approach to my otherwise lazy training habits?.. but undistracted tunnel vision on a said discipline works for me. And at times works quickly.

Nerdy, I know. But I will even play this song on a loop at times when training for my tunnel vision feat.

Edited by Tommy J.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:27 PM, AdamTGlass said:

Train one, train all, or train none. It’s the best ego lift in fitness and the least useful investment in time unless you really love closing grippers 

Wow, now there is a quote to keep in mind.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Best post on this thread.

it provides the facts concisely, no editorializing, no  BS, and English is not his native language.

On top of that, the numbers themselves are outstanding.

I prefer to read (and write lol) with the editorializing, etc.  Besides being social, and enjoying these online interactions with so many of you folks who I've never met (but hope to eventually), I think it might also be helpful to know some of the details such as if the bests were at the same point in a person's strength development, or whether they train harder for one or another style or have a particular gift for or problem with one or another style.

But I'm a lawyer so I may be partial to too many words ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I prefer to read (and write lol) with the editorializing, etc. Besides being social, and enjoying these online interactions with so many of you folks who I've never met (but hope to eventually), I think it might also be helpful to know some of the details such as if the bests were at the same point in a person's strength development, or whether they train harder for one or another style or have a particular gift for or problem with one or another style.

These results were shown at the same strength level during the competition season. I specialize in MMS, but for the best CCS (old CoC 4 194) was prepared separately before certification of Coc 3.5 (189 lol) TNS I get the worst, so I do it only at the request (and my left weak hand)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I prefer to read (and write lol) with the editorializing, etc.  Besides being social, and enjoying these online interactions with so many of you folks who I've never met (but hope to eventually), I think it might also be helpful to know some of the details such as if the bests were at the same point in a person's strength development, or whether they train harder for one or another style or have a particular gift for or problem with one or another style.

You have to admit it was a nice change up.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 9:39 AM, Tommy J. said:

I can say this as well, Ben Edwards literally owned, or maybe still does own?, a #3 that came in at 190lbs on an rgc. So how many guys on the list maybe closed a #3 with a mms that was a 170lb #3? Compared to a guy that CCS a 143# #3 for his cert?

@Tommy J.

That #3 is semi-jokingly referred to as the Heartbreaker. :D  It's actually Jason Payne's gripper (bignasty), but I did RGC it years ago.  And checked it almost a dozen times to make sure I wasn't wrong.  Not that I DOUBTED how hard it was...just checked it so many times because I knew there would be some disbelievers.  Nobody doubts it once they get a shot at it though.  Andrew Durniat tried to close it at one of the USAWA Grip Champs.  Josh Dale has tried it.  Some other big names as well.  As far as I know, nobody has shut it from any set so far.  CCS closing that monster would be EPIC.  The spread is so wide that it starts hard and never lets up.  I don't doubt that some of the top gripper guys could MMS close it.  Maybe one or two could CCS close it right now.  Jason also has a #4 that is in the low 250lb range.:cool

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bencrush said:

@Tommy J.

That #3 is semi-jokingly referred to as the Heartbreaker. :D  It's actually Jason Payne's gripper (bignasty), but I did RGC it years ago.  And checked it almost a dozen times to make sure I wasn't wrong.  Not that I DOUBTED how hard it was...just checked it so many times because I knew there would be some disbelievers.  Nobody doubts it once they get a shot at it though.  Andrew Durniat tried to close it at one of the USAWA Grip Champs.  Josh Dale has tried it.  Some other big names as well.  As far as I know, nobody has shut it from any set so far.  CCS closing that monster would be EPIC.  The spread is so wide that it starts hard and never lets up.  I don't doubt that some of the top gripper guys could MMS close it.  Maybe one or two could CCS close it right now.  Jason also has a #4 that is in the low 250lb range.:cool

What's more likely, that it's actually a 3 or a 4 that was stamped a 3? Is the spring the same dia as a 3? Terrible quality control either way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, king crusher said:

What's more likely, that it's actually a 3 or a 4 that was stamped a 3? Is the spring the same dia as a 3? Terrible quality control either way.

Was going to ask that. What is the diameter of the spring wire on that one? Production errors do occur. Doesn't mean the quality control is shit, mistakes can always occur. I had a Tetting gripper stamped "SM" that rated 161 lbs. It surely was a production error, probably a GM or Elite spring.

• Like 1

Agree. Mistakes happen and are very uncommon. I've seen many Tetting grippers with the wrong springs. It's the most common place for this problem.

I've never seen an IM or GHP mistake, ever. 

I do remember the "Heartbreaker".  For what it's worth, the hardest used #3 CPW has rated was a 1st gen that went 160. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, king crusher said:

That’s my thought as well. But one can tell by the thickness of the spring comparing a 3 to a 4. That would settle that.

1 hour ago, king crusher said:

I should've mentioned that it is an old steel-handled #3.  And 3.25" spread.  Spring is #3 size and well before #3.5s were even thought of. 

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Was going to ask that. What is the diameter of the spring wire on that one? Production errors do occur. Doesn't mean the quality control is shit, mistakes can always occur. I had a Tetting gripper stamped "SM" that rated 161 lbs. It surely was a production error, probably a GM or Elite spring.

I believe it was .281" when I measured it with my micrometer. 

• 3 years later...
On 1/27/2020 at 12:35 AM, Vinnie said:

My best ever MMS was 155, my best block set was my GHP 7 cert but I don't know the rating (felt like 148-150 when I MMS'd it), and my best TNS was 134, all around the same time.  I have not really tried to CCS except that I tried on my COC 3 rated 150 and could not get it (not terribly far off but not a near miss either).  My MMS closes are usually pretty wide because I can't set for crap (I have been trying, since I trust Chez's advice that it's worth the effort).  This may be why I thought the MM1 was so easy even though it is supposedly rated pretty close to my max ever MMS -- bc the set is like butter.

Update (since this thread was just linked to a similar thread):  Since my comment in early 2020, I improved my bests to MMS: 165; CCS: 153; TNS: well, I might have gotten my Tetting 140 once in practice, but I think 134 is still the best I can say for sure (never tried anything in between).  This is not too far off the 20-pound rule of thumb being discussed.

Just now, Vinnie said:

Update (since this thread was just linked to a similar thread):  Since my comment in early 2020, I improved my bests to MMS: 165; CCS: 153; TNS: well, I might have gotten my Tetting 140 once in practice, but I think 134 is still the best I can say for sure (never tried anything in between).  This is not too far off the 20-pound rule of thumb being discussed.

The improvement was to be expected, of course, as I was but a wee lad of 50 in early 2020.