Sign in to follow this  
AdamTGlass

What’s your trade/career and does your fitness help you do it?

devinhoo
On 1/23/2020 at 11:30 PM, Boulderbrew said:

I’m a respiratory therapist. I work mostly in Surgical ICU. My grip is pretty much only good for loosening IV tubing for tiny nurses, key pinch baby!

On 1/29/2020 at 9:48 PM, hambone said:

I work as a pharmacist & don't think it helps directly. It occasionally does when recommending lifestyle changes to patients if they notice I "practice what I preach." Mostly I find it helps me to have a mental/physical outlet unrelated to my work.

I'm a second year medical student... so kinda same. Best case scenario in a few years a firm grip will help me intubate patients more easily, but for the most part all these strength sports are going to be a way to cool off after a rough day in the hospital.

Hefting large rocks for strongman training will help move patients? lol

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 2

hambone
5 hours ago, devinhoo said:

I'm a second year medical student... so kinda same. Best case scenario in a few years a firm grip will help me intubate patients more easily, but for the most part all these strength sports are going to be a way to cool off after a rough day in the hospital.

Hefting large rocks for strongman training will help move patients? lol

It definitely helps me turn off my brain & forget about work - bad day at work is easy to forget about when climbing/lifting etc.

I had a harder time keeping up with my climbing during pharm school though. Once I was in residency it was such a relief to re-focus time on climbing & training!

• Like 1

wobbler

Mechanical engineer, I work with centrifugal pumps.

Mostly a desk job, helps keep keep me sane so I would say absolutely that helps. I can just squeeze a gripper instead of pounding my head on the keyboard.

My desk definitely has a dedicated snack drawer, and a grip drawer. I think there's maybe some office supplies in there too.

• Like 2

Horrido

My main work is in a purchasing department in a fork lift company (machine construction) - mostly desk job, but we always test strength related things mostly grip with the colleagues along with some darts😉

Second work because of a small familiy company is as a scaffolder and here any strength helps a lot and it's a great work with great guys!

• Like 1

Wannagrip

Nope. Doesn't help. :)

I am a Systems Engineering Manager for Collins Aerospace developing automatic flight control systems for Business Jets and Regional Airliners for the last 34 years. 

My job has helped me with the GripBoard though.  The proper fear and confidence to dive into the Web when it first started (programming, etc.)

• Like 1

EricMilfeld
On 2/6/2020 at 4:08 AM, Wannagrip said:

Nope. Doesn't help. :)

I am a Systems Engineering Manager for Collins Aerospace developing automatic flight control systems for Business Jets and Regional Airliners for the last 34 years. 

My job has helped me with the GripBoard though.  The proper fear and confidence to dive into the Web when it first started (programming, etc.)

If ever a job title required an acronym... 😮

• Haha 2

Wannagrip
49 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

If ever a job title required an acronym... 😮

That's all we have is acronyms in my job world. Crazy coincidence that you mentioned it. 

• Haha 1

Blacksmith513

Construction and yes it helps... 

But its just my dad, brother and I.. They are both naturally strong, but we don't do much masonry anymore.  I'm not just saying this because he's my dad, but he was a STRONG bastard in his day.Plus once I started working for them, they've gotten way weaker.. I do ALL the grunt work.

Tom Flesher

I teach economics at a community college. I'm a fairly active lecturer, which didn't stop me from getting and staying fat, so doing some extra work in the gym (even strength training as opposed to straight cardio) is very helpful in maintaining my mobile and high-energy teaching style.

Also, I bend stuff on the last day of class and am developing a following among the school's athletes for that. So it's helping my job security.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

I teach economics at a community college. I'm a fairly active lecturer, which didn't stop me from getting and staying fat, so doing some extra work in the gym (even strength training as opposed to straight cardio) is very helpful in maintaining my mobile and high-energy teaching style.

Also, I bend stuff on the last day of class and am developing a following among the school's athletes for that. So it's helping my job security.

I LOVE the last part!!!

Tom Flesher
Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

I LOVE the last part!!!

It's a lot of fun! The first couple of times it was a surprise. Now that people sort of know what's coming I still don't ever come out and say it but attendance on the last day has definitely increased.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

It's a lot of fun! The first couple of times it was a surprise. Now that people sort of know what's coming I still don't ever come out and say it but attendance on the last day has definitely increased.

I do  hammers for the residents at the nursing home I work at .The patients and nurses love it. 

Daveyboy

I'm a web/database developer, so fitness and strength of any type are irrelevant as I sit on my backside staring at a screen for most of the day. For me, it's about trying to get stronger and not turning into a saggy bag of crap as I cruise towards the mid 50s. I'm not as strong as the beasts that tend to inhabit the gripboard, but compared to the average worker in my building, especially those around my age, I'm considered a bit of a monster. I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it too 😁

It's kind of off-topic, but one of my biggest regrets is not discovering this stuff ten years ago. I'm sort of worried that starting around the age of 50 will limit any potential gains I might make.