Sign in to follow this  
AdamTGlass

What’s your trade/career and does your fitness help you do it?

AdamTGlass

What do you do to earn your cheddar?

• Like 6

Cannon

I underwrite mortgages. 

It is really poisonous to sit at a desk for 40-50 hours/week, year after year.  It takes a toll on the body.  I think maintaining a certain level of fitness helps to combat these effects.  My activity level has declined significantly in the past year and I can really feel the difference.  Aches and pains and general malaise is festering. 

• Like 6

Squeezus

My strength doesn't do anything for my engineering day job, but it's definitely helpful building stuff around the BSS shop.

• Like 7

Climber028

Espresso machine repair. I'm the only person that can lift a 100lb machine from the floor and not cry about my lower back. I also am usually the guy who breaks free the stuck fasteners which is hilarious since half of them are double my size. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Tommy J.

Auto tech. Moved on to heavy trucks and tractors the last 2 years. Whole different animal physically than working on soccer mom cars and light duty vehicles. Strength in any area helps make the job easier. But then again, I’m hourly now and no longer commission. So if I take a little longer and go the easy route with, say, the forklift 😁 to pull/move heavy parts, no one cares.

• Like 5

Stephen Anderson

Overhead communication lineman. My big ass is climbing poles everyday! 

• Like 3

KapMan

Medically retired. Mentally and physically broken individual. Though initially getting exercise helped curtail my diminished self worth and physical abilities when I got back from deployment 2 and finally got out of my crap unit and into the warrior transition battalion and it indeed put me in a better place. In the end it made things worse. I was alone trying to find my way  and my inability to self regulate and self coach killed any hopes of success. 

I dont lift, I dont bend, I dont squeeze a gripper. I just walk several miles a day. 

• Like 1

Boulderbrew
4 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Espresso machine repair

Cool! I want to get back into home espresso. I used to own a Vibiemme Domobar Junior Heat exchanger machine. I loved the E61 group head but ultimately wanted a double boiler machine...couldn’t justify the huge expense :( 

Boulderbrew

I’m a respiratory therapist. I work mostly in Surgical ICU. My grip is pretty much only good for loosening IV tubing for tiny nurses, key pinch baby!

• Like 3

terminal

I have two "jobs": one as a strength and conditioning coach/small gym owner and the other in public safety. Fitness definitely helps a great deal in both.

• Like 3

Shoggoth

Construction estimator for within the energy sector. Primarily sitting at a computer or desk. 

• Like 3

Climber028
7 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Cool! I want to get back into home espresso. I used to own a Vibiemme Domobar Junior Heat exchanger machine. I loved the E61 group head but ultimately wanted a double boiler machine...couldn’t justify the huge expense :( 

Honestly I spend my time talking people out of home espresso, to get a good machine, a good grinder, and waste enough coffee to dial it in all the time is just such a huge expense. It's really not worth it unless you're in a giant household. Better off finding a great shop for espresso and sticking to really good coffee at home, which is much cheaper and easier to make perfectly.

Boulderbrew
8 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

a good grinder

I always like manual grinders, I used the HG-1 and Orphan Espresso Pharos for awhile. I liked that a lot, but it took so much dialing in to get a good shot everyday, that yeah like you said, I finally sold it. I enjoy espresso at cafes now. Although I think with the HG-1 I had a good enough grinder. Funny enough, I sold my espresso gear and bought my first grip implements and Fatman blob. I am a hobby hopper, grip just happened to be my next hobby after home espresso and home coffee roasting 

nimar1994

I work as an stistician at a children's hospital.

Sports have helped me to develop a discipline level that has helped me to achieve success in other areas including work and academy; so in relation to the second question, yes (at least indirectly) it does. 

Edited by nimar1994
  • Like 2

Hopefully

Machinist, I program and run cnc machines. 

Strength doesn't help in any way. In fact I don't think I have had any significant benefit from it at all in every day life. Cardiovascular fitness is another thing though. That helps everything. 

• Like 3

Ricochet

Former high-risk protection officer/commander (PSD, QRF, CAT, SLT, DST, Fly-Away); retard... I mean retired now. Overall fitness was vital... no, it was absolutely crucial throughout my career. And specific to this forum having a Strong Grip = Solid Retention in more than one regard.

Edited by Ricochet
  • Like 6

Rob McMurren

I'm a manager at a local university in the shipping and receiving department.  We also run he university paper recycling program which gets me a lot of books to tear.

I also coach football part time for the school.

The lifting doesn't do much for my daily duties.  Used to help when I was on the moving crew .

Edited by Rob McMurren
  • Like 4

I do physical therapy on short and long term care residents in a skilled nursing facility and also occasionally  outpatient sports therapy. Looking the part of someone who is strong and able  helps with motivating the ones who do not want to do therapy and feel hopeless, especially the older generation that would rather lay in bed and watch TV. Being  able to stand up patients that usually take 2 people or a mechanical lift  to transfer is a bonus. Not having to ever ask for help. I could not imagine having to ask for the help that all the other therapists and nurses do to perform physical assistance to patients. I would not want to do it if I had to find someone every-time I had to help someone stand up and walk. Physical strength really is “power” to do the tasks that take more than one. 

One of the downfalls is that many staff like to try and take advantage of the fact that “Joe can do it, call him”. When they do that I say “do I get a portion of your pay to do what you can also do”?  So it has its ups and downs when I have a lot of my own work to do and feel that some think they can slack because I can do the load.

climber511

It amazes me but I have been retired from walking a mail route almost 17 years now.  The fitness and strength from working out certainly made carrying mail easier.  Retirement doesn't demand any fitness or strength at all - unless you actually want to have a life and do things.  Generally staying "healthy" - a vague term I know - doesn't just happen without some conscious effort.  Having the strength and fitness to have athletic hobbies like my climbing - lifting and Grip certainly don't just happen at my age without some serious planning of diet - strength training and aerobic training.  Since retiring one of my biggest goals has been to "age well" and maintain my abilities as best I can for as long as I can. 

Edited by climber511
  • Like 4

Grip Of The North Star

I am a marketing director so I don't believe my increased grip strength can help me in too many ways. Although, I do enjoy engaging in weight lifting sometimes. I noticed the increased grip strength gains have helped me with specifically heavy dumbbell presses. Overall, the training discipline in itself builds character and a strong mind that has carry over to other parts of your life.

• Like 2

hambone

I work as a pharmacist & don't think it helps directly. It occasionally does when recommending lifestyle changes to patients if they notice I "practice what I preach." Mostly I find it helps me to have a mental/physical outlet unrelated to my work.

• Like 2

JStepien

I work on trailers... lifting landing gear, panels, 53' body rails, roofs, & other things. I believe it has done more harm than good. Feels like I'm sore most of the time.

Vinnie

I am a senior supervising appellate attorney for the Manhattan District Attorney.  Basically, most of the time my job is to keep bad guys in jail when they appeal their convictions and say they should get a new trial or go free.  I write briefs and explain to judges on the higher courts of New York, and sometimes federal courts, that they had their fair trial and got their fair punishment and it's just time to pay the piper (unless they are right, of course, in which case I can agree with them).

My fitness probably does not have much to do with my work performance lol.

Funny story though, about fitness and my job, comes to mind now:  I had a case against a guy who pushed someone into the street and the victim got hit by a car (lived, fortunately, so it was an assault and not a murder trial).  The guy who did the push claimed self-defense.  Both guys were small but the guy on trial who did the pushing was a personal trainer with bulging muscles and the guy he pushed was a twerp.  So when he testified I figured I would emphasize his strength and confidence compared to the twerp, to make the point that he was not feeling threatened and did not need to push the guy into the street to protect himself.  So I asked him, "You said you are a personal trainer, right?"  "Yes."  "So, you work out a bit, huh?"  "Yeah." "In the gym a lot?" "Um hum."  "Lift weights?" "Yes."  "So, you think you're pretty strong, don't you?"  And he levels his eyes at me and says menacingly, "STRONGER THAN YOU!"

Now, that was even better than the simple yes that I was hoping for, because it made him look cocky and aggressive and there was pretty much no way in hell he was afraid of that victim.  So no surprise, the jury convicted the guy.

One more thing that comes to mind now:  at the time, I kind of assumed he was right about his strength assessment; but looking back, I realize now that he probably wasn't!  Well, at least not in grip ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Goran Paulinič

Aspiring artist, painter. Waiting for early retirement from full time jobs. I have enough of it, my psyche don't handle it any more.

• Like 1

Lennix

I work in sales, selling commercials on digital signs. 

Working out has increased my sales to before, plus it makes me a lot less stressed over things. Grip in particular also help me escape reality for a while such as book, tv and other hobbies does. Which keeps me sane :D 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 3