David Shamey, Level 2

Cannon

I won't even say good luck, since you don't need it, just have fun lol.  I gave up my turn because I could use some time to get ready for this, and no need to hold you up as you have a few more to go after this.  It will be fun to watch your vids.  Tricks welcome (TNS, reps, both hands, whatever).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

It's a shame David has to go through this long process until ge gets to grippers thats even a little challenging for him. At this rate it will take at least 1-2 years. There will be risk of injury or lack of motivation during the wait 

We should indeed rethink the process. The steps between the MM grippers are small. Maybe we should allow a higher entry (MM3 maybe) for Certified CoC at Level 3.5. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

We should indeed rethink the process. The steps between the MM grippers are small. Maybe we should allow a higher entry (MM3 maybe) for Certified CoC at Level 3.5. 

Ja, and #3.5 and #4 could work as MM0-gripper as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

It's a shame David has to go through this long process until ge gets to grippers thats even a little challenging for him. At this rate it will take at least 1-2 years. There will be risk of injury or lack of motivation during the wait 

I don't think it's a shame.  It's actually the original idea for the Mash Monster ladder.  Every person on the list has closed every gripper at each level.  And there is no reason it should take years.   

The biggest barrier is that he lives in Russia and there is practically no worse place to ship from the US.  Maybe Germany.  Those two countries, for whatever reason, are very slow to process through customs.  And it goes both ways.  When David shipped the MM1 back, it took weeks to arrive.   

• Like 3

It definitely sucks for the people waiting in line and behind a gripper! But i think everyone should have to do each one. Its like the right of passage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I don't think it's a shame.  It's actually the original idea for the Mash Monster ladder.  Every person on the list has closed every gripper at each level.  And there is no reason it should take years.   

The biggest barrier is that he lives in Russia and there is practically no worse place to ship from the US.  Maybe Germany.  Those two countries, for whatever reason, are very slow to process through customs.  And it goes both ways.  When David shipped the MM1 back, it took weeks to arrive.   

That's another reason it would be great if people could start at an approriate level. Less risk of the gripper getting lost or stuck for weeks and months in customs. I think a lot more people would join the ladder if they would be able to start at the right level.

Maybe this should be discussed in the feedback thread tho. We shall not derail this thread :) 

The process has remained the same for 16+ years now.  Part of getting to the top is maintaining that high level.  Injuries are involved in all sports and staying healthy is a key aspect obviously. Plenty of people injured before making it to the pro level when they had the ability to do so.  Such is the luck of sport. And, this luck covers a lot of ground in life happenings.

if they would be able to start at the right level.

This obviously does not happen in sports.  Hey, I can clean and jerk 650 in the gym so I should get to compete at worlds without qualifying ever.  😀Grip is no different. You start at Pee Wee level and grind up through the ranks as far as you can.

• Like 2

We started the MM ladder and made the rules for it before there were a 3.5 certification. The idea was to test grippers harder than a #3. A #3 MMS close was the entry Level (MM0). Beeing a COC was also a right to enter as far as I know. 

I think more strong people would go for it when they could jump a bit. MM1 and MM2 are no challenge for a COC3.5. Just money and time...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

This obviously does not happen in sports.  Hey, I can clean and jerk 650 in the gym so I should get to compete at worlds without qualifying ever.  😀Grip is no different. You start at Pee Wee level and grind up through the ranks as far as you can.

A 3.5 Cert is no gym lift. It could be a qualifier. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

A 3.5 Cert is no gym lift. It could be a qualifier. 

True.  But, the process has been good for 16+ years with all levels so we aren't going to throw the baby out with the bath water because of one person and where they live particularly.. Morgan had to work his way up to the top starting from the bottom. He sits at the top. As I said, the grind working your way to the top of any sport (if you can even get there) is part of the deal.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

True.  But, the process has been good for 16+ years with all levels so we aren't going to throw the baby out with the bath water because of one person and where they live particularly.. Morgan had to work his way up to the top starting from the bottom. He sits at the top. As I said, the grind working your way to the top of any sport (if you can even get there) is part of the deal.  

I understand your reasoning but just because something has been the process forever does not mean there are better ways for the competitors and everyone. You could have them start anywhere but if they fail on their first attempt (whether it be filming issue or just not strong enough) you start back at the beginning.

• Like 4

I quite like the process. But I understand that if you are a Morgan or chez. That these lower levels are a why bother and you rather hit the grippers that are a challenge and maybe. There could be a qualifying gripper for that tier. 3.5 or 4 for as your “MM0” you know what i mean? 

Its a shane that there isn’t two sets. One for overseas and a set here in the states. The wait time blows. 

• Like 3

I'm waiting for MM2

Further levels are rarely used and I would very much like to be able to certify several at a time, in a row in a single video

• Like 4

I actually love the MM process and wouldn’t change a thing. I think this is the greatest gripper cert because of the process. obviously it’s more expensive and time consuming for gripsters outside of America but there is no way to address that. 

All the grippers up to the MM8 will be a formaility for David but that’s just because he found the cert after he was very advanced. I found the cert at the start of my training. But because of gripper variance, I think it’s best you have to go threw all the mm grippers in order 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

But I don’t want to derail this thread, I’m sure you destroy it david. Look forward to the video 

• Like 2

If a person proves that he/she is able to close gripper at particular MM level or more (video) that person should be allowed to try that level if he/she desires so even if this is their first try on MM. There is really no sound reason for not doing so. Why? Because grip sport is beginning to transcend America seriously and rules should apply to the world.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chez said:

I actually love the MM process and wouldn’t change a thing. I think this is the greatest gripper cert because of the process. obviously it’s more expensive and time consuming for gripsters outside of America but there is no way to address that.

All the grippers up to the MM8 will be a formaility for David but that’s just because he found the cert after he was very advanced. I found the cert at the start of my training. But because of gripper variance, I think it’s best you have to go threw all the mm grippers in order

And it becomes even more expensive if you take into account that such an indicator as the minimum wage in Russia is about 7 times less than in the USA, imagine that you need to pay $320 for certification)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2020 at 7:41 PM, SeNoLD said:

And it becomes even more expensive if you take into account that such an indicator as the minimum wage in Russia is about 7 times less than in the USA, imagine that you need to pay $320 for certification)

We hear you LOUD and clear, brother!

Gripboard should fit the bill if they chose to continue this onerous process.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I got a few messages recommending that I delete a video where I close MM2 on reps so as not to break the rules. I did it, but it hurt me.

I have a question

Who can show me where the rules say I can't post training videos with MM?

Edited by SeNoLD

The rule states the official gripper used for certification. I sent you the rule to your email.  Using MM replicas has nothing to do with it.   We are modifying the rules wording going forward. 

As I told you via email, your official attempts are still valid and are being judged.

https://www.mashmonster.com/rules.html

8. The close must be video taped. The video must be of sufficient quality to take a CLEAR still of the gripper handles shown touching (the equivalent of taking a still picture with a camera). The video must then be submitted to Wannagrip for judging after uploading to YouTube as an unlisted video.  ANY posting of stills or video clips of the attempt before it is officially judged will VOID the attempt.

6 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

ANY posting of stills or video clips of the attempt before it is officially judged will VOID the attempt.

Only one video is valid - where I unpack the parcel on the camera (this is called an attempt). Perhaps clippings from this video. 
Any other video will be a training video or canceled because it does not comply with the rules.