Jump to content

Brian Shaw cut from Arnold Strongman Classic in 2020 - Enter Grip?


Recommended Posts

Tommy J.
7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Eddie sums it up here.  No fame.  Very little money.

 

Uh oh! Lol Mendy better have his A game on if he’s gonna try to punk Eddie out in person! Lol!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Tommy J.

    32

  • Mike Rinderle

    17

  • Fist of Fury

    11

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly does this discussion that this has turned into have to do with Grip Training? I have the answer: Zero, Nada, Zip, Nothing. Since this is so far off tangent, we'll close this as the m

Brian actually did just that for this comp.  He hasn't been in this kind of shape in 6 or 7 years.  He looked much quicker on the live stream.  Almost worked.  He was one bag fumble away from beating

Hafthor has entered the chat.

Posted Images

Fist of Fury
7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Eddie sums it up here.  No fame.  Very little money.

 

And powerlifting is still not an olympic sport, it has failed pretty brutally in promoting itself in my opinion. Not that a sport needs to have olympic status to be legit but it certainly would make the sport bigger if it had olympic status. Weightlifting has, wrestling etc.

Powerlifting is probably viewed as training and not a sport by the large mass, if they even know what it is, apart from bench press.

Just now, Mike Rinderle said:

Before any of that, it needs a large number of fans who find it enjoyable to watch.  We're right up there with men's beer league hockey at 11:30 pm at the local rink when it comes to ratio of players to fans at an event.  And the "fans" that are there are usually relatives.  A 6 hour grip contests is literally the most boring spectacle for a non-participant ever invented.

It will never be "big".  Bigger, maybe.  But sports only grow if people enjoy watching them.

Of course, it could be solved though, I have many ideas of how to make grip comps more entertaining. Plus it also gets more entertaining if there's more well known people competing in it and for that to happen it needs sponsors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Before any of that, it needs a large number of fans who find it enjoyable to watch.  We're right up there with men's beer league hockey at 11:30 pm at the local rink when it comes to ratio of players to fans at an event.  And the "fans" that are there are usually relatives.  A 6 hour grip contests is literally the most boring spectacle for a non-participant ever invented.

It will never be "big".  Bigger, maybe.  But sports only grow if people enjoy watching them.

Bingo! Even family members can’t take it. Imagine the general public? 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury

What people like and don't like is subjective. I hate golf and everyone I know also hate it but it's still a large sport. 

I'm a sport nerd but to be honest there's many sports that are boring.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

What people like and don't like is subjective. I hate golf and everyone I know also hate it but it's still a large sport. 

I'm a sport nerd but to be honest there's many sports that are boring.

Good point and very true. How golf has more competitors and spectators than grip  or AW is beyond me.  Oh wait... there’s millions of dollars in prizes.....$$$$

Link to post
Share on other sites
Climber028
28 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

There won’t ever be any 1 guy that’s genuinely the strongest at everything strength related the world has to offer. The closest anyone ever came to that was Kaz. And he only did it in 2 sports that were sort of fringe niches at the time. And that was before all the freaks showed up and took things up a notch.

I would through Mark Henry in there, very few people have been elite in powerlifting and Olympic lifting. I think currently lifting has developed to such a high level that you probably can't be at the top of multiple sports. I think that's also why we will never see a 25 year domination of arm wrestling like John Brezenk pulled off because the field is at such a higher level. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511

Laurence Shahlaei is # 5 on the Euro and Phister has a result somewhere for a comp of some kind.  Brian isn't likely to get serious about grip until he retires (if ever).  The fact that he dabbles in it already might give enough interest to give things a try if he happens to already be where the contest is and someone close to him invites him.  If he does I'd say Armlifting more so than Grip Sport

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Laurence Shahlaei is # 5 on the Euro and Phister has a result somewhere for a comp of some kind.  Brian isn't likely to get serious about grip until he retires (if ever).  The fact that he dabbles in it already might give enough interest to give things a try if he happens to already be where the contest is and someone close to him invites him.  If he does I'd say Armlifting more so than Grip Sport

It seems a lot  more know about armlifting than grip sport because of the exposure at big expos and having enjoyed some WSM competitors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
58 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

And powerlifting is still not an olympic sport, it has failed pretty brutally in promoting itself in my opinion. Not that a sport needs to have olympic status to be legit but it certainly would make the sport bigger if it had olympic status. Weightlifting has, wrestling etc.

Powerlifting is probably viewed as training and not a sport by the large mass, if they even know what it is, apart from bench press.

Of course, it could be solved though, I have many ideas of how to make grip comps more entertaining. Plus it also gets more entertaining if there's more well known people competing in it and for that to happen it needs sponsors.

That's not the way it works.  You need fans to attract large sponsors.  Nobody is going to spend a portion of their advertising budget on something where nobody will see their advertising.   Unless they want to lose their job.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVE101
1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

For us it isn’t. It is when nearly your entire adult life you’ve made money doing a strength sport like Brian.

or picture this- maybe Brian has only broke into the decent money over the last 10 years or so. How eager should he be to allow himself to be guilted into a sport that doesn’t pay after all that effort, sacrifice, and wear and tear it took to get him where he is at?

But WE all do something else for income. He would have to be doing something else for income, too. Agreed he won't turn to it 100% like he did Strongman. It would have to be a side-hustle, like for his YouTube channel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVE101
1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

For us it isn’t. It is when nearly your entire adult life you’ve made money doing a strength sport like Brian.

or picture this- maybe Brian has only broke into the decent money over the last 10 years or so. How eager should he be to allow himself to be guilted into a sport that doesn’t pay after all that effort, sacrifice, and wear and tear it took to get him where he is at?

But WE all do something else for income. He would have to be doing something else for income, too. Agreed he won't turn to it 100% like he did Strongman. It would have to be a side-hustle, like for his YouTube channel.

@Mike Rinderle, in regards to Brian's Strongman Career, I was thinking the same thing. His recent placings seem to say he's done, but he isn't really getting weaker and is still winning some events. It'll be interesting to see whether this is the end for him or if it's just been a series of hiccups.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
43 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

That's not the way it works.  You need fans to attract large sponsors.  Nobody is going to spend a portion of their advertising budget on something where nobody will see their advertising.   Unless they want to lose their job.   

How do you know nobody will see it, you're just projecting your own view and apply it to everyone else. I'm sure there's an audience for grip sport, you might not be in it but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But you're right, it's not very likely that someone will start something from the ground up. However I would do so if I had the resources for it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Good point and very true. How golf has more competitors and spectators than grip  or AW is beyond me.  Oh wait... there’s millions of dollars in prizes.....$$$$

Yes, people will follow the money, sad but true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stanislav
19 hours ago, Chez said:

I think there is a better chance when Shaw is towards the end of his strongman career. 

not yet....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

How do you know nobody will see it, you're just projecting your own view and apply it to everyone else. I'm sure there's an audience for grip sport, you might not be in it but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But you're right, it's not very likely that someone will start something from the ground up. However I would do so if I had the resources for it.

 

You missed what I said.  You have to have the crowds before you get the big sponsors.  Crowds first.  Then sponsors.  Not the other way around.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

You missed what I said.  You have to have the crowds before you get the big sponsors.  Crowds first.  Then sponsors.  Not the other way around.

Right! Supply and demand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
57 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

You missed what I said.  You have to have the crowds before you get the big sponsors.  Crowds first.  Then sponsors.  Not the other way around.

No I didn't miss what you said, I clearly said that I agreed with out on that part. With the addition that it's not always that way if you start something from the ground up. Sometimes you don't know how the "market" is before you start, you have to take a leap of faith sometimes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
9 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

No I didn't miss what you said, I clearly said that I agreed with out on that part. With the addition that it's not always that way if you start something from the ground up. Sometimes you don't know how the "market" is before you start, you have to take a leap of faith sometimes.

Big sponsors (businesses) don't spend big money without a big audience.  They just don't.   Companies don't take large leaps of faith when it comes to ad budgets.  They have a finite budget.  If they waste it, the marketing team gets fired.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Boulderbrew
5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Same reason I never dated a redhead. You could tell me all day how great redheads are. And prolly state all the justifications you wanted that I “should” date a redhead. But I’m just not attracted to them.

💁‍♀️ *hair flip*

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
52 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Big sponsors (businesses) don't spend big money without a big audience.  They just don't.   Companies don't take large leaps of faith when it comes to ad budgets.  They have a finite budget.  If they waste it, the marketing team gets fired.

Absolutely, I'm not trying to say that they do. You are 100% correct. What I mean is that you need to sell your sport as well. The only way the sport can get more competitiors and more audience is to arrange comps with good prize money. That will attract more people and the sport will grow. Eventually companies will start to sponsor if the audience gets big enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Absolutely, I'm not trying to say that they do. You are 100% correct. What I mean is that you need to sell your sport as well. The only way the sport can get more competitiors and more audience is to arrange comps with good prize money. That will attract more people and the sport will grow. Eventually companies will start to sponsor if the audience gets big enough.

Where is the big prize money coming from with no big sponsors?  See what I'm getting at?

It's a catch 22.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.
6 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I would through Mark Henry in there, very few people have been elite in powerlifting and Olympic lifting. I think currently lifting has developed to such a high level that you probably can't be at the top of multiple sports. I think that's also why we will never see a 25 year domination of arm wrestling like John Brezenk pulled off because the field is at such a higher level. 

Agreed

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.
5 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

But WE all do something else for income. He would have to be doing something else for income, too. Agreed he won't turn to it 100% like he did Strongman. It would have to be a side-hustle, like for his YouTube channel.

@Mike Rinderle, in regards to Brian's Strongman Career, I was thinking the same thing. His recent placings seem to say he's done, but he isn't really getting weaker and is still winning some events. It'll be interesting to see whether this is the end for him or if it's just been a series of hiccups.

I should have rephrased a bit better?.. what do you do for a living? And how long has it taken you to get comfortable doing it?

and when you retire from that skill, would you do anything similar for free? Especially if it meant traveling somewhere so you could do it for free?

is more what I mean with regards to Brian.

 

im an auto tech by trade. I do okay with it. Finally... after about 14 years of barely scraping by, I’m just now able to have breathing room financially. I can’t imagine turning a wrench for free after I retire because some small group of people somewhere thinks I should then give my talent away for free. 

Brian would be doing US a favor if he comes to grip. We wouldn’t be doing him any justices.

 

note: I’m not defending Brian not doing grip. I’d LOVE to see what he can pull on the axle. But he doesn’t need to compete to showcase that lift. 🤷🏼‍♂️ So I don’t really understand everyone’s stances on specifically needing to see him compete? I’m more curious just to see what he can do.

Edited by Tommy J.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.
2 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

💁‍♀️ *hair flip*

I mean I will definitely drink beer and do stunts with redheads! 

But we ain’t making out homie. 😝

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I mean I will definitely drink beer and do stunts with redheads! 

But we ain’t making out homie. 😝

Haha you ARE a red head....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.