Brian Shaw cut from Arnold Strongman Classic in 2020 - Enter Grip?

DAVE101

4 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

💁‍♀️ *hair flip*

belly laugh

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Haha you ARE a red head....

Lol only the beard. The carpet don’t match the drapes either. Like a neapolitan ice cream.

8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Lol only the beard. The carpet don’t match the drapes either. Like a neapolitan ice cream.

Same here bro. Haha!!!!! Hair on my head is browner and my body is blonde!

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

You missed what I said.  You have to have the crowds before you get the big sponsors.  Crowds first.  Then sponsors.  Not the other way around.

Exactly, that's how a business works. No risk in a business unless you are a very good salesman and can sell sand in the desert.

13 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

No I didn't miss what you said, I clearly said that I agreed with out on that part. With the addition that it's not always that way if you start something from the ground up. Sometimes you don't know how the "market" is before you start, you have to take a leap of faith sometimes.

No my friend ask me about a business. Businesses don't do any leap of faith. It just won't work. How you can convince them is a let's see ask for strongman event and a weightlifting event along with a sprint and heck maybe a boxing event. They might sponsor those if you are a good sales man and a good bluffer. Then you can add a small grip show in it too. Make sure you sign for three years contract. Then grip might grow ;) 

• Like 3

OK.  This is nuts.  Shaw never trains bench.  Knocks out a smooth 500 X 5.  A year with Josh Bryant, and he'd be hitting 650 for a single easy.  Add that to a 1000 lb dl and an 800 lb or so squat.  A year away from totaling 2450 raw???

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

I worry about how much his deadlift would drop under stricter powerlifting rules, and without straps

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

I worry about how much his deadlift would drop under stricter powerlifting rules, and without straps

And add a stiff bar to the mix, I think we’d be lucky to see him pull 920’ish.

23 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

OK.  This is nuts.  Shaw never trains bench.  Knocks out a smooth 500 X 5.  A year with Josh Bryant, and he'd be hitting 650 for a single easy.  Add that to a 1000 lb dl and an 800 lb or so squat.  A year away from totaling 2450 raw???

This is impressive on the bench when you take into account how long his arms are. Quite possibly longer than any super-heavyweights arms in PL.

7 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Yea only 920, that'd be so embarrassing haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

This is impressive on the bench when you take into account how long his arms are. Quite possibly longer than any super-heavyweights arms in PL.

Only IPF (USAPL) uses a stiff bar. Almost every other federation uses a TDL or Rogue DL bar.  Bennie set the record with a tdl. He'd be in the upper 900s if he can figure out his grip.  

Agreed on the arms.  That's a very thick man and he still has more travel than anyone I've seen.

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Yea only 920, that'd be so embarrassing haha

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Only IPF (USAPL) uses a stiff bar. Almost every other federation uses a TDL or Rogue DL bar.  Bennie set the record with a tdl. He'd be in the upper 900s if he can figure out his grip.  

Agreed on the arms.  That's a very thick man and he still has more travel than anyone I've seen.

Only mention the stuff bar because the bar Eddie used on his 500k lift was a pretty stiff bar compared to what we see Brian and other strongmen using. I understand that Eddie used straps and a suit, but still. Brian won’t come close on a similar bar with the same gear.

Eddie is also reported as not being able to match Benni’s best raw DL, even after his 500k geared pull. Which leads me to believe Brian might likely not even pull in the 900’s raw, as his DL is behind Eddies by a long shot. Not at all scoffing at 900+! I certainly can’t do it. But if we are keeping it real, there are guys under 250 pulling 900 raw these days. Brian won’t be the DL King in raw PL. not even close.

i do think he could impress on bench and squat tho.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Only mention the stuff bar because the bar Eddie used on his 500k lift was a pretty stiff bar compared to what we see Brian and other strongmen using. I understand that Eddie used straps and a suit, but still. Brian won’t come close on a similar bar with the same gear.

Eddie is also reported as not being able to match Benni’s best raw DL, even after his 500k geared pull. Which leads me to believe Brian might likely not even pull in the 900’s raw, as his DL is behind Eddies by a long shot. Not at all scoffing at 900+! I certainly can’t do it. But if we are keeping it real, there are guys under 250 pulling 900 raw these days. Brian won’t be the DL King in raw PL. not even close.

i do think he could impress on bench and squat tho.

Yeah I mean Pete Rubish pulled 920 on calibrated plates at 242lbs. That craps all over shaws dl. 

Edit. 245lbs

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Yeah I mean Pete Rubish pulled 920 on calibrated plates at 242lbs. That craps all over shaws dl. 

Edit. 245lbs

Yep. Pete and Cailer were the first 2 I thought of.

Edited by Tommy J.

For conversations sake, I consider this to be the greatest DL in history.

And the only current WSM I could maybe see matching or besting it (possibly right now) are Thor, Pritchett or Rauno. And maybe Caron? Only my opinion obviously. And mainly a speculative one. Have no idea what any of these guys can pull without straps.

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

For conversations sake, I consider this to be the greatest DL in history.

And the only current WSM I could maybe see matching or besting it (possibly right now) are Thor, Pritchett or Rauno. And maybe Caron? Only my opinion obviously. And mainly a speculative one. Have no idea what any of these guys can pull without straps.

As do I. Best ever.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

For conversations sake, I consider this to be the greatest DL in history

By far.  Best ever.

Two things.  Brian doesn't get much from a whippier bar becapuse his grip is so wide.  2nd, he has pulled 985 raw on a tdl (with straps and a little hitch) in training.  This was a few years ago when his dl was a little below where it is now.  Maybe not 1000, but if he focused on the big 3, 950 for sure IF he could figure out mixed or hook.  But for arguments sake, let's conservatively say, 750, 650, 900.  2300 total.  I believe Kirill has the current Superheavy total WR at 2386.5 (without wraps) (non-IPF).  He would be top 5 all time in a year with the right coach.  But much like grip, but for different reasons, I don't see him going for this.  He's 37 years old.  I'm guessing whatever high level strength he has left in the tank will be dedicated to what he's best at.  Strongman.  Plus, I doubt he wants to bulk up to around 500 to go for a meaningless pl record.  What's the reward for him?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

By far.  Best ever.

Two things.  Brian doesn't get much from a whippier bar becapuse his grip is so wide.  2nd, he has pulled 985 raw on a tdl (with straps and a little hitch) in training.  This was a few years ago when his dl was a little below where it is now.  Maybe not 1000, but if he focused on the big 3, 950 for sure IF he could figure out mixed or hook.  But for arguments sake, let's conservatively say, 750, 650, 900.  2300 total.  I believe Kirill has the current Superheavy total WR at 2386.5 (without wraps) (non-IPF).  He would be top 5 all time in a year with the right coach.  But much like grip, but for different reasons, I don't see him going for this.  He's 37 years old.  I'm guessing whatever high level strength he has left in the tank will be dedicated to what he's best at.  Strongman.  Plus, I doubt he wants to bulk up to around 500 to go for a meaningless pl record.  What's the reward for him?

I mostly agree here. I know you were being conservative there, but I think he’d be into the 800’s easy on squat. Like right now maybe! 650 on the bench he could get to in a matter of months if he’s not there already. Which is, again, CRAZY impressive given his arm length!

so I guess when you put it like that, yes, I’d have to agree that he’d either beat, or be on the heels of Kirills raw total VERY fast.

and unfortunately I’d have to agree on us likely not seeing it go down.. 😔 dude will likely ride the strongman train till the wheels fall off.

but we can imagine! 😁

It’s sort of fun to bench race about it though! I won’t lie.

• Like 2

Another awesome deadlift set is George leemans 907x4. He easily had the 5th rep but pulled a muscle.

Yes its tng but still a kick ass set. Also the fact hes alone in the whole gym with no one watching besides the person filming is impressive. Dude has done 800x9-10 too.

907 is at 6:05

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 1

Haven't read the full thread so may have been posted but Arnold basically said he will overrule and shaw will be going. He was sick when he went against martins in the recent qualifier and finished only a point behind.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

Haven't read the full thread so may have been posted but Arnold basically said he will overrule and shaw will be going. He was sick when he went against martins in the recent qualifier and finished only a point behind.

Wow! That’s pretty cool!

Has not been posted here yet, so thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Arnold basically said he will overrule and shaw will be going

I don't think "going" means the full contest necessarily. He might've just been invited for the Rogue Record Breakers like Stone over Bar.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

I was talking with some other folks that follow strongman and the conclusion many came to was that at the end of the day its Arnold's show... and he can do whatever he wants. 

• Like 1

Oh man. I know we all have differing opinions on here...tns vs mms, saxon vs euro, joe kinney vs bigfoot but can we all collectively come together as one and agree that arnold is a badass and a national treasure?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

Oh man. I know we all have differing opinions on here...tns vs mms, saxon vs euro, joe kinney vs bigfoot but can we all collectively come together as one and agree that arnold is a badass and a national treasure?

Yes, he is an Austrian treasure.  Right up their with skiing and weinerschnitzel.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/26/2020 at 11:28 AM, Paul Savage said:

He has not been offered a spot and if asked, he would not accept because it wouldn't be fair.  Going to focus soley on peaking for WSM.

Edited by Mike Rinderle