Jump to content
HandsofStone

Is it possible to certify on a CoC #3 Left- Turn?

Recommended Posts

HandsofStone

Hello, 

I've been away for quite a few years but here I am, back at it again! Even though Ironmind acknowledges that regular CoC grippers favor right handed individuals, is it possible to certify with a Left-Turn CoC #3? With that being said, I'm obviously a southpaw and was just curious about that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

Would be smart if they did, generate some interest and hopefully help sell some more of those left turn grippers.

Brings up some interesting question though, probably impossible to track down, but how many certed with the left hand on a regular #3?

 

Would the left turn cert have to be left handed, or would people be doing it right also?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury

No, unfortunately not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slazbob

Well, it has to be on an official Captain’s of Crush gripper. The left-turn grippers are not marked as so. Just a number on the bottom and Iron Mind on the band.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HandsofStone

Well that blows considering that when you look at Cannon's gripper ratings, the Left-Turn #3 rating is more consistent sitting at 152 vs the CoC #3 at 149. However, the original CoC #3 average rating is based off a larger pool of #3s too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
13 hours ago, HandsofStone said:

Well that blows considering that when you look at Cannon's gripper ratings, the Left-Turn #3 rating is more consistent sitting at 152 vs the CoC #3 at 149. However, the original CoC #3 average rating is based off a larger pool of #3s too.

 

I agree that left-turns have consistently been harder since inception, but the regular CoC stock we've had in the past couple years has been harder as well.  152 is really common for original CoC #3 right now. 149 is about as low as they get lately.  Eventually I expect to see that 149 average to tick up to 150.  It used to be at 150 and dropped to 149 in a stock of lower overall numbers through 2016 and 2017 which is about how long it's been since we saw numbers in the low 140s. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bencrush
16 hours ago, wobbler said:

Brings up some interesting question though, probably impossible to track down, but how many certed with the left hand on a regular #3?

I certed with both hands in 2005.  Just seemed like the right thing to do.:D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury

I wish IM could just ditch the black color and make more left-turn grippers. Point 5 models and #4 would be nice :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Florian Kellersmann

Gabriel Sum certed left Hand on  #3 and #3.5. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 12:05 PM, Fist of Fury said:

I wish IM could just ditch the black color and make more left-turn grippers. Point 5 models and #4 would be nice :) 

I also kind of wish they would ditch the color, but for a totally different reason.  It's pretty much impossible to make it durable.  The anodizing process is a microscopically thin layer of color.  There is no "penetration" into the metal (which isn't possible anyway).  The slightest damage to the knurling and the color is gone.  You can make it more durable with smooth knurling, but that's not very desirable either.  Never mind that, in my experience, anodizing raises the cost of the gripper.  That feels wasted when it scratches so easily.       

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
11 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I also kind of wish they would ditch the color, but for a totally different reason.  It's pretty much impossible to make it durable.  The anodizing process is a microscopically thin layer of color.  There is no "penetration" into the metal (which isn't possible anyway).  The slightest damage to the knurling and the color is gone.  You can make it more durable with smooth knurling, but that's not very desirable either.  Never mind that, in my experience, anodizing raises the cost of the gripper.  That feels wasted when it scratches so easily.       

Yes there's no reason for it. Aluminum has natural oxidation and as you said it only increases the cost. Plus it makes it much harder to see if the gripper is closed or not. I think other colors are ok but black is really difficult to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nimar1994
5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes there's no reason for it. Aluminum has natural oxidation and as you said it only increases the cost. Plus it makes it much harder to see if the gripper is closed or not. I think other colors are ok but black is really difficult to see.

I agree, the only way to know if you really closed it is to "feel it".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
On 1/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, nimar1994 said:

I agree, the only way to know if you really closed it is to "feel it".

You can put some chalk at the end of the handles where they close, it makes it a little bit easier to see. However it's still hard to see tho.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nimar1994
7 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

You can put some chalk at the end of the handles where they close, it makes it a little bit easier to see. However it's still hard to see tho.

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.