$$$- some bending history

Tommy J.

$20 to anyone who can name the first man ever to certify an Ironmind Red nail in IMPs- COMPLETED!

$20 to anyone who can name the first man to bend a big grade 8 (5/16”x7”) in single wraps- COMPLETED!

$10 to who can name the first man to bend an Ironmind Gold nail. As in- ever.- COMPLETED!

notes: Gazza is not the correct answer to any question. Not up for debate imo, but Im open to hear any strong cases you think you have. No need to post dates or exact locations the bends took place. Just need to know the bender!

Rules:

1. payment will only be sent to the first correct answer of each question.

2. Answers must be submitted in this thread.

3. Deadline for this challenge ends today at 6pm. Correct Answers must be submitted before 6p today to earn $$$.

4. No hints or phoning a friend. Only true students of bending should be receiving money on this one. Feel free to look online to find the answers, but if you have to, or are not 100% sure, allow someone who is the opportunity to collect the money. And since I really can’t verify rule #4, it’s gonna be honor system.

Bonus monies of $10 awarded to the first person who answers all 3 correctly.

Go

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

Brookfield for the Red - 1995 - I had to look it up to be sure.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KRC said:

Paul Knight for the gold?

Nossir. Paul was first with video of a gold nail bend. But not the first gold nail bender.

2 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Brookfield for the Red 

Nossir. Brookfield was the first red nail bender, but not in IMPs.

Just now, Tommy J. said:

Nossir. Brookfield was the first red nail bender, but not in IMPs.

Well crap - I forgot that - when did the IM pa thing begin for the cert?

Just now, climber511 said:

Well crap - I forgot that - when did the IM pa thing begin for the cert?

Will reveal that after 6pm. 😁

1 minute ago, Horrido said:

1. Eric Milfeld

2. It was you Tommy, I think

3. Paul Knight in doubles, I think

Correct! Eric Milfeld was the first man to certify a red nail in imps! He actually certified his first time using a beach towel. Then was later removed from the list, and was asked by Ironmind to redo the certification bend in their newly established IMPs. This phenomenon occurred due to some hating Eric got over the beach towel. Which at the time was softer/less leverage wraps than the thick leather others had used to certify.

• Like 3

Damn Tommy! You are too fast. Got the money in minutes but I want to throw it in the bag for other challenges. So I note it and will bring it back for other challenges. Keep it in mind!

So for the 2. I would say J.T. Straussner?

For the 3. It could be Pat Povilatis? If not I will let others try it.

Edited by Horrido

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Correct! Eric Milfeld was the first man to certify a red nail in imps! He actually certified his first time using a beach towel. Then was later removed from the list, and was asked by Ironmind to redo the certification bend in their newly established IMPs. This phenomenon occurred due to some hating Eric got over the beach towel. Which at the time was softer/less leverage wraps than the thick leather others had used to certify.

I always thought that Clay Edgin was the first who certed with IMP's. Wasn't aware of Eric's re-cert. Do you know the date of the re-cert?

For the 2. maybe EJ Livesey

For the 3. I would also say Pat Povilaitis

6 hours ago, Horrido said:

Damn Tommy! You are too fast. Got the money in minutes but I want to throw it in the bag for other challenges. So I note it and will bring it back for other challenges. Keep it in mind!

So for the 2. I would say J.T. Straussner?

For the 3. It could be Pat Povilatis? If not I will let others try it.

Correct! Money sent!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martin Kotte said:

I always thought that Clay Edgin was the first who certed with IMP's. Wasn't aware of Eric's re-cert. Do you know the date of the re-cert?

For the 2. maybe EJ Livesey

For the 3. I would also say Pat Povilaitis

Correct! Pm your PayPal please

• Like 1

To those who answered Clay, were incorrect, but! Clay was indeed a top guy at one point. And was obviously the first man to bend the infamous “Edgin” that was subsequently named after him. The 5/16”x7” grade 5 bolt. So he is without a doubt a staple in bending history.

• Like 2

So the whole Challenge goes to.....GERMANY!

Huge thanks Tommy for this. As I mentioned before I will keep it in the back to throw it in the bag for upcoming challenges so keep it in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Correct! Pm your PayPal please

Tommy, thanks for the challenge, it was nice to get back into some interesting bending history.👍

• Like 2

Nice post Tommy...  love the bending history & nostalgia brother!  👊🏻💯

I thought Paul or JT were the 1st to bend a Gold...  on video anyways?  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

Nice post Tommy...  love the bending history & nostalgia brother!  👊🏻💯

I thought Paul or JT were the 1st to bend a Gold...  on video anyways?  

Paul was 1st with video of full bend, JT was 2nd, I was 3rd, EJ was 4th. All of us bent in doubles. And there were a number of prekinked gold nail bend vids in between some of us and shortly thereafter us. But not full bends. And 1 did a full bend but it was braced. To my knowledge, the 5th guy with video of a full unbraced gold nail bend was the big guy in Russia. Can’t remember his name. (And here is where I get uncertain) I think Delmar was after the big Russian guy?

so in order of full bends

1. Pat P.

2. PK (also first with video. And from here forward also have video)

3. JT

4. TJ

5. EJ

6. AK - edited (forgot his name)

7. Delmar?

Etc, etc.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 3

I think only 10 or 11 or so have bent the gold nail start to finish, still!

2 of them, Juha and Alex, did it in single IMP’s. Juha L. was the first man to ever bend a gold nail start to finish in single IMPs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

To my knowledge, the 5th guy with video of a full unbraced gold nail bend was the big guy in Russia. 

Alexander Kirillov

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Kirill_Shuhovtsev said:

Alexander Kirillov

Yep, that’s him! Thank you!

edit: and his initials are AK!.. how ironic that he’s from Russia?!😝

post edited above to include his initials

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

But Tommy, I saw Paul Knight was the first bender. Pat was sent IM gold nail and said he bent it in around 20 minutes with a reverse bend style if memory serves me right. Yes Pat said he bent it but how can we be sure? Not saying he is lying or anything but shouldn't we got with whom we are sure? We should make history as accurate as possible. Yes Gazza isn't part of it but I also like to hear why people think Gazza, LOL.

15 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

But Tommy, I saw Paul Knight was the first bender. Pat was sent IM gold nail and said he bent it in around 20 minutes with a reverse bend style if memory serves me right. Yes Pat said he bent it but how can we be sure? Not saying he is lying or anything but shouldn't we got with whom we are sure? We should make history as accurate as possible. Yes Gazza isn't part of it but I also like to hear why people think Gazza, LOL.

Pat has had a history of being a hater of other benders. On multiple occasions. But has never done any questionable bends, or been part of any shady shenanigans to my knowledge. That said. I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt.

i am with you... I am reluctant to credit Pat with being the first gold nail bender, since there is no video of many of his bends. But to my knowledge, he has had multiple witnesses over the years see him do some of his better bends. That and he is indeed crazy enough to do those bends. Ever seen him put his hand in a live bear trap?.. he’s a nut!

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Pat has had a history of being a hater of other benders. On multiple occasions. But has never done any questionable bends, or been part of any shady shenanigans to my knowledge. That said. I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt.

i am with you... I am reluctant to credit Pat with being the first gold nail bender, since there is no video of many of his bends. But to my knowledge, he has had multiple witnesses over the years see him do some of his better bends. That and he is indeed crazy enough to do those bends. Ever seen him put his hand in a live bear trap?.. he’s a nut!

Yes exactly. I do believe him. He has proved himself unlike Gazza which was warming up on what two Aaron at his peak could max in IM pads. Gazza was a the Joe Kinney of bending plain and simple. This strength doesn't exist especially Gazza's best bend ever was a shiny or a big shiny with double pads which took him 15 minutes to bend in front of someone. Leaving Gazza aside, if Brian Shaw said he was the first to lift a 135 York blob I will definitely believe him. He is after all world strongest man 4 times, big hands, heck he lifted the 145 and the 150 york. But since the only video is Jedd Johnson then Jedd is the first man to lift it. Will I believe Shaw if he said he did it earlier? Yes. But does it count? No. That's how I see it.