Analyzing My Performance

Rick Walker

I finally had a chance last night to sit down, look over the numbers, and analyze my performances in each of the lifts. I mkae no excuses for my 8th place finish-the top 5 was mine to get into, but i chose to focus on the Inch, and that was my choice.

GRIPPERS

I was happy with my gripper performance, though I did think I would be able to put Tommy's #3 away. The sweep on that thing is about a half inch wider than any gripper I have ever seen-it is amazing. I was within a credit card but just couldnt put it away. I was very happy with my 11.52 second hold with a single stamped #3. I have not trained crushing strength since a week after my February certification-7 months ago. Yes-I have picked the #3 up now and again, maybe once a week, and put the hammer to it-but I have not followed a gripper routine since that date. I think it is safe to say that KTA training builds the base strength up and once you have it-you dont lose it! :mosher

2-HAND PINCH

I am not very good at the narrow pinching, so I knew I would do so-so in this event. Again, I chose not to train it-if I would have used my head and focused on the discipline, I may have reached the 200s. Again, NO EXCUSES! I take full responsibility and the men who got to 200 are ANIMALS in my book! I failed at 177 and came back to get it with ease-to fail again at 182. A lot of this lift is technique. I seriously think I could bang up 200+ in a few short months of training.

THICK BAR

I was happy with my performance. All of the guys that lifted the Inch the day before said this bar was WAY harder than the Inch. The proof is in the pudding: John Mannino got the Inch to his shoulder, but failed at 170 in the lift and had to settle with 150. Dave Morton deadlifted it fully and failed at 175 having to settle with 160. Steve M. has had the Inch above his knees many, many times and couldnt put 170 away. Now that I have these comments from the fellow lifters-I am very happy with my 147.5 pound performance. I would say based on what we saw-a lift of 160 or so would be good enough to handle the Inch DB.

NAIL BENDING

I have not done any bending due to this tendon in my left arm always hurting. To tell the truth, I was scared going into this event. I opened with the yellow (Edited-I OPENED with green-that was way too easy, and then went to yellow) and after putting it away, my confidence soared. We had an AT on hand, and he straped my tendon to my arm with a few ace wraps and I was ready to go. The step was the Blue and it felt like a white to me-I knew I was ready for a good day of bending. I then put the hammer to a 5.75, 5.5, and 5 inch blue. After the 5 I bowed out-my arm was killing me and I feared major damage. Looking back now, If I would have sucked it up and went for a 4.75 and done well, I could have gotten myself into 4th place and picked up 4 big points. Of the 4.75 benders, Tommy H. was the only one to put it away into a "U". I did not try, and thus took 7th. Live and learn. I think I had the strength to put a 4.75 away-Smitty was timing me, the intial bend of the 5" took 15 seconds. As Diesel Crew says, "NO REGRETS!"

DEADLIFT AND HOLD

I expected to walk away with the points here. I have not practiced this event at all, But I have a pretty good pain tolerance and can usually will my mind into letting my body take a serious butt whooping. Physically, I was good to go for a long time. The bars started sliding in my hand, it actually felt like my palms had ripped free and the skin was sliding down. That was not the case (thank God!) but none the less, the handles ripped free. Looking back, I can say with all honesty that I held on as long as I could. Considering the level of competition, I feel good with a second place finish-damn good! I know that Dan C. will NEVER let me live it down, and that is cool to. That will feed my fire and keep me on my toes. We will meet again in November-and although we wont be competing against one another, we will still be competitive.

In all, I could have gotten myself in the top 5 with some training. I made the decision to focus on the inch and I have no regrets. Next year, I will be ready and focused.

I CANT WAIT! :bow:mosher:yikes

Rick Walker :rock

Edited by Rick Walker

Well Done! Because (like others on the Board) you are a thinker, you will be even more dangerous to the competition next time.

-HH

Rick,

Why is your thick dumbell so much harder than the Inch? Is the handle slicker?

Do you know how it compares to the polished Stainless steel PDA handle?

Awesome job on your contest. If it isn't already the worlds premier grip contest, it will be next year!

Robert

Rick,

I was truly impressed with your ability to psych up after failing at an attempt and breaking through with success on your next attempt. That ability to dig down deep is awe inspiring. After seeing you in action I have no doubt the inch will fall. It is only a matter of time!!! :bow

Jon@han

Rick,

Why is your thick dumbell so much harder than the Inch? Is the handle slicker?

Do you know how it compares to the polished Stainless steel PDA handle?

Robert

Yes good questions and 'interesting' results at Ricks contest- as these guys apparently manhandled the INCH replica.

Ricks handle is perhaps 3/100ths' of an inch bigger than the INCH replica so it would be worth trying to figure out why Ricks 2.5 thick dumbell is more difficult??Great lifting by all(oviously)just also wondering about this also.

It's from Ted's Shed. It is a little over 2.5", very slick, and the handle is 7" in length.

Dont know exact reasons why-but it IS harder. The fact that Junior got 180 on it tells me that he is MB bound.

Rick Walker :rock

Yes he sounds Millenium bound!With Legit INCH replica deadlifters having to settle for 150?or 160?on the 2.5 incher....his 180 is a good indicator.

It's been explained that the Millenium has a 2 3/8"slightly knurled handle which should make it......well at least interesting???? to one with such large and STRONG hands.

I have had for some time both the 2 1/2'' and 3'' handles from Ted's shed. I do not find them slick or tricky to lift. Using collars that prevent rotation, I have lifted 175 on the 2 1/2'' and 150 on the 3'' Maybe I could lift an Inch replica! As I have posted before, 2 1/2'' is more than 3/8'' in circumference greater than 2 3/8''. I will get some pics next time I am training thickbar and my son is over at my house.

I have had for some time both the 2 1/2'' and 3'' handles from Ted's shed. I do not find them slick or tricky to lift. Using collars that prevent rotation, I have lifted 175 on the 2 1/2'' and 150 on the 3'' Maybe I could lift an Inch replica!

For what it is worth...IMHO and Judging from your reports and lifts(and from your hand size) I never thought there was much doubt that you would lift the INCH replica.Perhaps its just a matter of finding one in Florida?

along with it being tad thicker and slicker than the replica, this event was also dun after the 2 hand pinch. and personally, my thumbs was feelin it after the pinch. also, it was dun with a two minute time frame after the wieghts was set. competion time conditions, with movin from one event to another is not how most train. so you mit egit the call, and not quiete be recouped or dun gone cold, dependin on what your used to. i think the numbers would have been higher for this event been before the pinch, and then the pinch numbers would have been lower.