Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

6 hours ago, Horrido said:

Very nice to see your progress Mike. Good work and it's only a matter of time and patience before the big goals will fall.

Jan thanks so much, means a lot to hear from you! Yes sir, will give all the time and patience required, quite the addicting practice! I have your certs in site as well 😉

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Horrido

• Tom Flesher

• Tommy J.

• Squeezus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it is important to get also new benders in line, here are some thoughts for the beginning and the intermediate: To strive for the red nail cert there are some simple facts: only bending in IMP

I think it´s time for an own thread, as the last days show, that this year can become very special again for the steel bending world. it started with the following threads from Tommy:  

Well, you guys talked me into it. Honestly I couldn't stay away. It's been some time since I bent or did any physical activity besides walking, so I have a ways to go before I regain what I have lost.

Posted Images

bruce1337

My last bend of 2020 and could't be happier with the result. 

8mm x 200mm rebar bent reverse. I do not own a protractor but it looks to be past 40 degrees.

My goal for 2021 is to get on the Horrido reverse list with the A2 bolt.

IMG_20201230_165600_833.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Slippery Pete

I got three Kerckhaert SX7 #2 form @Horrido a while back. I was really excited to just blow through one really fast.
To my surprise I could just barely kink it. I had kinked SSP#3 and Meister D7 before so I was really confused. 

Today I tried the other two that I got and it was the biggest differens I have ever encountered. If one would compare the two the differens was the same and if you compare a 6mm CRS to 8mm CRS.

So that SX7 #2 I tried a few months back was a freak shoe for sure :D

I also bent the Meister D7 completely for the first time today! Very happy about that one.

• Like 3
Mike Rinderle

Nice job!  They really do vary a lot.  What you have to do on the SX7 #2s to make them challenging is weld two of them together and then bend them.  😁  It's called the Predator Shoe.

Brian Blazer was sending out all these crazy challenge shoes at the time for Bergman, Wigren, and I to try.  This froze up at the end.  With the ends welded together they were fighting against each other too much for me to get it past 180.  Anyway, awesome bends man!

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 5
Slippery Pete

That's crazy stuff Mike! :D
I have been watching some of your videos. You and this one russian guy are the ones that got me into finnishing the shoe "under the butt". Seems like the way to go for me on bigger shoes.

I have not done to much horseshoe bending, but It would be awesome to enter the top 20 one day. Idk if thats possible, but I'm gonna do what I can.

I have never seen this legendary Bergmann bend a horseshoe. To bad he deleted his vidoes. Would have loved to see them

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Like 2
Mike Rinderle
11 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

That's crazy stuff Mike! :D
I have been watching some of your videos. You and this one russian guy are the ones that got me into finnishing the shoe "under the butt". Seems like the way to go for me on bigger shoes.

I have not done to much horseshoe bending, but It would be awesome to enter the top 20 one day. Idk if thats possible, but I'm gonna do what I can.

I have never seen this legendary Bergmann bend a horseshoe. To bad he deleted his vidoes. Would have loved to see them

He was a beast.  As I recall, he destroyed the predator.  @David_wigren may have finished one too.

• Horrido changed the title to Since 2020 - Poems of Steel
Horrido

Great job @Slippery Pete! And nice to see some horseshoe bending. The top 20 is a very good goal. This list progressed a lot in the last years.

And yes the shoes can vary a lot, more than our short steel. The crazy thing is that they were from one order and out of one box, so you never know what you have in front of you. The SSP shoes are also known for a big variation!

(I renamed the topic here because of the new year with also hopefully lots of poems of steel) - let steel bending grow in every aspect over the whole world!

Edited by Horrido
  • Like 3
David_wigren

Yes, like Rindo said. The two SX7’s really ramped up toward the end. I think it’s due to the fact that they were welded together and toward the end the curvature of the bends don’t align very well. I had to fight hard to get uit past 180. Yeah, Bergmann went through his alot quicker. 

I’ve also experienced some of the hard Kerckhaerts. It seems to affect several of their models, perhaps all. The majority of their shoes will vary very little and then they’ll have an odd ball here and there that is significantly harder.

• Like 6
David_wigren
5 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

@David_wigren how are you able to bend these without any leg protection? 

Top of the thigh were like 90% numb when I was heavy into horseshoe bending. Took years for the sensation to fully come back. Also it’s a hardening thing. Over time the leg will simply be able to handle more abuse. I remember injuring my leg when I was just starting out by crushing a DC2 horseshoe against my leg. A few years in, a DC2 would’ve been useless even as a warmup shoe, and the idea of getting injured by one would’ve been laughable to me. 

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 5

I hate to interrupt the big kids bending big horseshoes but here I am nonetheless. 

No crazy bends for me today. Two 5/16x7+ HRS (both freehand cut to a bit over 7 1/4 I think) and then four easy red nails. The last two took me around 30 seconds each. All bends were in IMPs. Again, nothing to write home about but I’m grateful to be well ahead of where I was this time last year.

5772FE53-794A-4A66-8754-BC4B2B291DB8.jpeg

• Like 6
Mike Rinderle
51 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

I hate to interrupt the big kids bending big horseshoes but here I am nonetheless. 

No crazy bends for me today. Two 5/16x7+ HRS (both freehand cut to a bit over 7 1/4 I think) and then four easy red nails. The last two took me around 30 seconds each. All bends were in IMPs. Again, nothing to write home about but I’m grateful to be well ahead of where I was this time last year.

5772FE53-794A-4A66-8754-BC4B2B291DB8.jpeg

That's the shit that keeps this all going.  Outstanding!  I remember posting my first 60D nail bend and moving my first Diamond 1 to 40 degrees.  Those are awesome! Way ahead of where I was when I started out.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 3
Mike Rinderle
7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Edited by Mike Rinderle
Mike Rinderle
2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Top of the thigh were like 90% numb when I was heavy into horseshoe bending. Took years for the sensation to fully come back. Also it’s a hardening thing. Over time the leg will simply be able to handle more abuse. I remember injuring my leg when I was just starting out by crushing a DC2 horseshoe against my leg. A few years in, a DC2 would’ve been useless even as a warmup shoe, and the idea of getting injured by one would’ve been laughable to me. 

I did a lot of unpadded shoe bends as well.  It stops hurting as much over time.  Of course when they replaced my hip last year they noted that I had a huge bone growth at the top of my right femur.  Asked if my work put pressure on that point regularly because they hadn't seen anything like that before.

When I explained, the surgeon just started laughing.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Mike Rinderle
2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Wait til they replace it.   It grows.  "We do all the hip surgeries for the current and former Baltimore Ravens.  We've never seen a femur this this thick.  What did you do to it?"  Bwahaha 

Said my femur was 20% bigger at the top than any they had dealt with.  Lol

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1