Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

5 hours ago, Lennix said:

Bent my first red nail in 30x30 Cordura wraps yesterday! No rubberbands. 

Also gave it a 5 degree bend reverse!

Didn’t just bend it. F#ing smashed it

• Like 1

Just now, David_wigren said:

Didn’t just bend it. F#ing smashed it

Thanks man, it felt too easy.. its almost like I want the cert to be harder 😂

54 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Thanks man, it felt too easy.. its almost like I want the cert to be harder 😂

Red cert is just the beginning. There are other, much harder certs out there.

• Like 1

Just now, David_wigren said:

Red cert is just the beginning. There are other, much harder certs out there.

Yeah Horrido's certs will definitely be a fun challenge when Red is done! The gold nail feels like I would have to sacrifice so much allround strength to even care about? 

Red nail in imps and 8mm stainless in imps. Both without rubberbands and stretch. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Horrido said:

Really good bends! There will be a good future for you in the bending game!

Thanks! I am no josh but I've had a good start. Around 4 months into DO and 7 months in total with reverse/DU :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After almost 4 months off from bending due to an shoulder injury I had to try the Moose Bar from bendsportcanada.ca because the package arrived on friday. So did it in their brand new nylon pads for a cert.

Nice Bar for sure and a hard one for this diameter and material!
Shoulder is still not at 100% and it will take still a while.

• Like 5

Yesterday I tried to work on my leg crush down. I always finnish shoes under my leg. But it taxes the skin on my hands really badly, and that style works poorly on smaller shoes. So I might as well learn to crush down on the legs.
I feel pretty good about the kink. That SSP#3 was the first shoe and bend of the workout, so it was like a warm-up bend. It felt like as soon as I leaned in to the shoe it bent.

Also bent a mid range bar.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This thread went quiet during the Michigan-Kings Shield corridor this spring!

I think the last time I bent DO before yesterday was in Don’s competition, with the exception of one grade 8 snap started DO on my back in Kings Shield. Yesterday I decided to work on that a little. Two 1/4x7 grade 8 bolts in BBWs, three red nails in IMPs, and then four oval nail snaps in about 8 minutes.

Because I’m a masochist, I then went and did deadlifts. 

5B6FCFBF-7083-459E-BABB-2DF9C522AA49.jpeg

888C66B6-5C86-46AD-B0A2-42603BE544CD.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

New bending PR yesterday! Q (0.3320") x 9" O1 drill rod double overhand in single leather. This bar was tough but not impossible, perfect spot for me to work on getting stronger. 

• Like 6

That's a long piece of steel for a DO bend.  Great job!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

That's a long piece of steel for a DO bend.  Great job!

Thanks man. Really enjoying working with longer bends lately. Yesterday I also did a piece of 5/16 x 12", first time I've been able to kink something at that length. Slowly working towards matching @Brett Bracken's 3/8 x 12" grade 2 bend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRsKMQbAz_X/ 

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 3

Nice to see some bending on gripboard! Great bend Devin.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Snapped a red nail. Took me about 30 minutes. Was a long time ago I tried this exercise so leg is going to feel really bruised for a while probably. I first started with some longer HRS Rebars, which is actually harder (at the same length) to snap since the sweep and crush is much harder. Red nail was standard length (7 inches) so it was slightly harder because of that. Rebars took around 15 minutes at 20 and 22.5 cm lenght.

I don't know where to go from here. 8.8 bolts will definitely be too hard. Maybe I will try some of the stainless steel bolts. Not sure how long that will take tho. Maybe an hour. It's okay because it's really good training for the whole body.

IMG_1812.thumb.JPG.961d7ab5cfb90a217d2525fbbc17eb71.JPG

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Snapped a red nail. Took me about 30 minutes. Was a long time ago I tried this exercise so leg is going to feel really bruised for a while probably. I first started with some longer HRS Rebars, which is actually harder (at the same length) to snap since the sweep and crush is much harder. Red nail was standard length (7 inches) so it was slightly harder because of that. Rebars took around 15 minutes at 20 and 22.5 cm lenght.

I don't know where to go from here. 8.8 bolts will definitely be too hard. Maybe I will try some of the stainless steel bolts. Not sure how long that will take tho. Maybe an hour. It's okay because it's really good training for the whole body.

IMG_1812.thumb.JPG.961d7ab5cfb90a217d2525fbbc17eb71.JPG

Congrats! Is an awesome feat to accomplish. I think getting your time faster on the Red is the best next step. Have fun!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Congrats! Is an awesome feat to accomplish. I think getting your time faster on the Red is the best next step. Have fun!

Thanks. Don, do you have any tips on protection for the leg? I've been using a towel but I'm really struggling finding a good way of wrapping it. I either wrap it too much or too little. It feels better (technically) when using minimal wrapping, or even nothing at all, problem is that it hurts so much. What amount do you use? Is it better to use leather or something, if so, how much?

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Thanks. Don, do you have any tips on protection for the leg? I've been using a towel but I'm really struggling finding a good way of wrapping it. I either wrap it too much or too little. It feels better (technically) when using minimal wrapping, or even nothing at all, problem is that it hurts so much. What amount do you use? Is it better to use leather or something, if so, how much?

I use a small hand/ dish towel and fold it over a couple times and then duck tape it around the hip area. I wouldn’t want anything thicker than that towel. Experiment a bit and see what you like the best.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

I use a small hand/ dish towel and fold it over a couple times and then duck tape it around the hip area. I wouldn’t want anything thicker than that towel. Experiment a bit and see what you like the best.

Thanks, I will try that. I actually expected to have a more brused leg than I have, I can barely feel it to be honest, which is good. My thorax and abs tho, holy shit, feels like I've been run over by a train :laugh

Arms and hands are also very sore. Maybe a week of rest is necessary :) 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 3:46 PM, Donc101 said:

Seems like you were correct about that. Managed to cut down the time to 6 minutes today. Felt so good so I tried another one, that one was a bit harder and took me about 18 minutes. Rested for 5 minutes in between so did two red's in 29 minutes. Twice as effective as last Saturday. Awesome feeling to have newbie gains. Can't even remember last time I had that to any significant extent :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Seems like you were correct about that. Managed to cut down the time to 6 minutes today. Felt so good so I tried another one, that one was a bit harder and took me about 18 minutes. Rested for 5 minutes in between so did two red's in 29 minutes. Twice as effective as last Saturday. Awesome feeling to have newbie gains. Can't even remember last time I had that to any significant extent :D

Great to hear! Keep getting it faster until under 3 minutes. Then, cut the Red shorter or go to a harder bar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Great to hear! Keep getting it faster until under 3 minutes. Then, cut the Red shorter or go to a harder bar.

Ok, thanks, will try that. I only have one red left will try to get it under 3 minutes next time.

Then I guess I have to use some steel I already bent. Have a bunch of 8 mm CRS from world of grip I can work with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has this thread slowed down? Just started bending again 3 or 4 months ago. I am currently stuck at the 7" L DR. My goal is the Red but it seems like a long ways off.

I did cert on Horrido's 4.8 bolt it was pretty easy. I'm gonna try the A4 this Saturday. 

What are you guys doing about the increase in the price of steel and it availability? I started bench pressing to get my overall strength up in an effort to try and get the most out of every bend.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 7:45 AM, jculpepper said:

Has this thread slowed down? Just started bending again 3 or 4 months ago. I am currently stuck at the 7" L DR. My goal is the Red but it seems like a long ways off.

I did cert on Horrido's 4.8 bolt it was pretty easy. I'm gonna try the A4 this Saturday. 

What are you guys doing about the increase in the price of steel and it availability? I started bench pressing to get my overall strength up in an effort to try and get the most out of every bend.

As promised my A4 cert vid. Don't be to harsh on me. I am still figuring out my video setup. 

fast forward to the 4:30 mark for the good stuff.

Also a photo of my work today.

All are 7" long

The bottom row are a yellow and a 17/64 fbbc done in IMP's. The top row are all doubles (1 leather, 1 IMP)

From left to right: G2, 2 yellows, 2 17/64 DR, 9/32 DR, A4 Horrido bolt, and a failed attempt on the L DR. 

I keep getting stick in the sweep but each time I get a little farther. 

20211113_120735.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, jculpepper said:

Rebar are cheap and you should be able to find some that are in the right range for you.

• Like 1