Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

Same here with the lying snaps. The standing bend is no problem but I am not applying power correctly on the short bend lying on my back.  Have you looked at David and others' videos to see if there's anything to pick up technique-wise?

Definitely, although evidently not enough of them. James Jackson’s submission has his ankles crossed in the air on his thigh crush and that just makes me feel like a fish flopping around.

Im guessing that at some point I’m going to recognize some key tip (like when i started cueing “heels together” on thigh crushes) that will allow me to stop wasting force but for now? Bleh!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, KRC said:

Same here with the lying snaps. The standing bend is no problem but I am not applying power correctly on the short bend lying on my back.  Have you looked at David and others' videos to see if there's anything to pick up technique-wise?

On 6/24/2020 at 1:26 PM, Tom Flesher said:

Definitely, although evidently not enough of them. James Jackson’s submission has his ankles crossed in the air on his thigh crush and that just makes me feel like a fish flopping around.

Im guessing that at some point I’m going to recognize some key tip (like when i started cueing “heels together” on thigh crushes) that will allow me to stop wasting force but for now? Bleh!

The lying snaps are killing me!  No idea how to generate effective power into the bar with the bolts.  I've watched several videos but whatever they are doing with it, I'm unable to for whatever reason.  Just a really awkward position.  The standing stuff is great.

• Like 3

Just a little different today. I hadn’t done any long braced bends in a while, but

1) I just did unbraced on Friday. Even so, I had planned to DO a bolt for a practice snap today. Nevertheless, 

b) I tore some skin that has been fragile and even kinking the bolt in DHWOG wraps was making it significantly worse. I need that skin for my official Steel Shredder attempts, since I can’t tape for them. In addition,

π) a member of our community, who shall remain nameless because he doesn’t post in this thread, posted on another forum that he’s purchased not only 3/4 HRS but 7/8 HRS. I was therefore required to challenge him to a race to 7/8.

So it’s time to get back to heavy braced bends if I’m going to win this race (or even finish it).

15” 3/8 rebar snapped in Horne wraps, followed by 5/8x25” and 1/2x15” in thick suedes I bought from Chris Ryder. It took a few tries to remember what positions worked for me but overall I was happy.

49D639C5-44A0-440E-825F-8CE0F5DA4204.jpeg

• Like 6

These videos each contain an F bomb if that’s problematic for you. They contain me fumbling around like I don’t know what I’m doing, which is problematic for me. 

5/8x25: 

1/2x15:

• Like 6

Today I got a package from @Jaden Majensky with lots of hard and great bars. Huge thanks buddy!
I will try one or two of them in the next session, because today was volume day and I train after a strict plan.

After the volume work it was time again for an one IMP bend and here it is:

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Danny Young said:

Very nasty bend in single IMPs! 5.5" by 5/16" 12L14 CRS. Bent off center.

20200630_181312.jpg

Nice!  ...and Ouch!

• Like 1

Bent 5 x 8mm x 7 inch CRS (about the same as a bastard bar) in single ironmind wraps.

These all felt very good today, bends were all done in 4 hits. (about 10-12 secs for each complete bend)

Then did 2 cert bends for horrido bending straight after these in ironmind wraps and suedes.

• A2 bolt with half inch cut off
  • A2 bolt with full inch cut off. 

@Horrido Jan, I've sent you over the videos 🙂

Really pleased with these today, considering its my 3rd proper session back! 😁

8mm and A2 bolts cut to size.JPG

Edited by Briso
  • Like 7

Got my package from J.T. Straussner with the Challenge Bars today.

Very nice steel and great rules. Only bending in brandnew stiff pads is an absolute nightmare, but they will be very fine soon.

Here is the video of both bars including unpacking...

• Like 7

Big event of the day was my first Steel Shredder attempt (around 3:40 to snap the grade 5 lying and the 10mmx15 rebar standing) but I also finished with a 1/2x15 HRS braced in Horne wraps. The thin wraps are so good for toughening up my hands so I can handle harder bends. 

B009F71A-3125-421E-BEB2-8589DD029D7A.jpeg

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

Big event of the day was my first Steel Shredder attempt (around 3:40 to snap the grade 5 lying and the 10mmx15 rebar standing) but I also finished with a 1/2x15 HRS braced in Horne wraps. The thin wraps are so good for toughening up my hands so I can handle harder bends. 

B009F71A-3125-421E-BEB2-8589DD029D7A.jpeg

Tom, fantastic time!  I just did my first attempt too and was totally gassed after the lying snap.  Had to take a 30 second break, which is pretty ridiculous.  What type of cardio/GPP are you doing if any?  I really need to improve my endurance.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Tom, fantastic time!  I just did my first attempt too and was totally gassed after the lying snap.  Had to take a 30 second break, which is pretty ridiculous.  What type of cardio/GPP are you doing if any?  I really need to improve my endurance.

They're brutal, aren't they? I did the standing snap first for that reason. Toward the end of the lying snap I started switching off leg crush and chest crush to try to save some energy, but at least my abs didn't cramp up this time.

I do a very small amount of jogging and stationary bike, mainly in 1km or 15-minute chunks respectively to get my heart rate up before lifting sessions. In general, most of my cardio work comes from doing heavy carries and strongman medley work. (And recently, just doing a ton of snapping as specific training for this!) I scatter some EMOM work to failure into every week (500 deadlifts, death by safety bar squat, stuff like that) that I think is paying off.

• Like 2

Manage to bend A2 bolt first 7 inches, and then 6.5 inches today. Sadly both attempts the video got messed up. On the 7 inch video the bar left the frame and on the 6.5 inch I got a phone call that ended the recording.

But I'm still happy about the session. The uncut bolt was such an easy bend for me. 

Today my grandfather past away at the age of 95 years old, he was in incredible shape until just a year ago. Worked as a farmer and in the woods his hole life. He could outrun most young men at the age of 85. 

Its been an emotional day today.

• Like 7

Nice bends, Anton. You will get it the next time for sure for a good cert. I am looking forward to it.

Also all the best and much strength for you and your family for the loss of a great man in a very high age.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Horrido said:

Nice bends, Anton. You will get it the next time for sure for a good cert. I am looking forward to it.

Also all the best and much strength for you and your family for the loss of a great man in a very high age.

Thank you Jan.

I will try 6.5 inches today again. And if that goes, 6 inch is next.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

Manage to bend A2 bolt first 7 inches, and then 6.5 inches today. Sadly both attempts the video got messed up. On the 7 inch video the bar left the frame and on the 6.5 inch I got a phone call that ended the recording.

But I'm still happy about the session. The uncut bolt was such an easy bend for me. 

Today my grandfather past away at the age of 95 years old, he was in incredible shape until just a year ago. Worked as a farmer and in the woods his hole life. He could outrun most young men at the age of 85. 

Its been an emotional day today.

Very sorry to hear of the loss. 😔

condolences Anton 🙏🏻 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Tommy. 

I'm so happy that I started with grip and bending. Come across so many great people ✊

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting stronger. 

I havent been bending much with less pading than single/double suede pads. But I have still gotten a better feel for less pading then before.

Started with some bench press like a month ago or so, and I feel like its already given me better bends.

• Like 2

First session in a little while. Got a good time on Steel Shredder, but not enough to beat my previous time (I lost some time kinking the Bolt, probably due to a bad wrap job). I also did a 3/4x48 bar and a Huge Bastard in double wraps.

Here’s the huge. Bend starts at about 5:10, finished about 6:30. Measure is close but under 2”. Wraps are shaken at the beginning and the end. 

6D8535D7-2D6F-439E-AC9D-A250780239E2.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice bend!  What wraps?