Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

Today’s session writing doggerel was pretty good. Opened with deadlifts, snapped a 3/8x12 HRS (training for Steel Shredder 7), and did a cert-quality Big Bastard. Bend starts just about the 4:00 mark. 

And the spoils:

6BD58FF0-CC92-4A44-B853-C868F1E8FC58.jpeg

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Today’s session writing doggerel was pretty good. Opened with deadlifts, snapped a 3/8x12 HRS (training for Steel Shredder 7), and did a cert-quality Big Bastard. Bend starts just about the 4:00 mark. 

And the spoils:

6BD58FF0-CC92-4A44-B853-C868F1E8FC58.jpeg

Great training day Tom!

• Like 2

As above. For those who are not familiar with this bolt: It´s like a shiny bastard in most way.

• Like 5

Two 8” pieces of L drill rod in BBWs and then two snaps for time (3/8x12 HRS and a grade 5 lying on my back). Kinking the bolt on my back is still a challenge for me. I’m doing it on my knee, and sometimes I’ve done it overhand, but it’s difficult to get a good kink on the knee. I also lost my towel while finishing the long snap and so I did the bolt with no leg padding besides my jeans. 

A2FC5467-23DD-4573-8F8E-7A37B7E17A60.jpeg

• Like 7

Yesterday's training session. Three galvanized 80d spikes cut to 6". These are tough! Wide bending radius and don't really let up. Feels a bit easier than a G8 to me. For a point of reference I did 3 of these at 6.5" right before the 6.5" G8 ...

Also tried a 5.5" U Edgin but it was a good half inch off center and my hands were tearing by that point. Finished at about 2.5". If I remember right the U marking is the toughest of the G5. Need to find more like that!

received_2602560869957200.thumb.jpeg.062a0182b4407f9cc14aee5d983343ec.jpeg

• Like 6

Steel benders problems...

You all know the guy, the smart ass SOB that knows you bend steel. You can usually find him at you're workplace, local bar or family reunion. The one that hands you a bolt like this and says something along the lines of " Psh oh yeah I bet you can't bend this."

IMG_20200606_212928.jpg

• Haha 3

On 6/5/2020 at 7:29 PM, vikingsrule92 said:

Yesterday's training session. Three galvanized 80d spikes cut to 6". These are tough! Wide bending radius and don't really let up. Feels a bit easier than a G8 to me. For a point of reference I did 3 of these at 6.5" right before the 6.5" G8 ...

Also tried a 5.5" U Edgin but it was a good half inch off center and my hands were tearing by that point. Finished at about 2.5". If I remember right the U marking is the toughest of the G5. Need to find more like that!

received_2602560869957200.thumb.jpeg.062a0182b4407f9cc14aee5d983343ec.jpeg

😩 noooo.... don’t cut the heads off goober! Ever! You know that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaden Majensky said:

Steel benders problems...

You all know the guy, the smart ass SOB that knows you bend steel. You can usually find him at you're workplace, local bar or family reunion. The one that hands you a bolt like this and says something along the lines of " Psh oh yeah I bet you can't bend this."

IMG_20200606_212928.jpg

I can bend it in 1 hit.

...with a 20lb sledge. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess this one depends how you look at it. On the one hand, I hate to see my old 90 degree sticking point show up again. My stubby, hamhock-like fingers just can’t overlap at this spread even in single wraps, but it’s at a point where the angled hit isn’t moving it enough anymore. When I’m fresh I can move it (and I will, next bending session), but it stopped me here. 

On the other, it’s about 80 degrees further than my last Shiny Bastard, so I’m prepared to count it as a win. (Double wraps for the kink.)

91433F7E-EF95-4529-9525-BDBBAF2DC221.jpeg

• Like 3

@Tom Flesher try putting the bar where you'd put a gripper handle with a deep set, closer to your fingers, choke up to the middle of the bar as far as you can, and give a solid hit. Ends of the bar should be about where the end of a gripper is. I can usually squeak out a little more movement that way, before interlocking fingers. Might not be enough with stainless though.

I'm still stuck at a few degrees kink on a shiny bastard in BBW though, so I'll update when I get to being stuck at 90 :)

• Like 2

Tried a fresh Shiny today and it wasn’t moving. Today’s completed bends were an 8” L drill rod in IMPs, a Red under cert conditions, and a Huge Bastards decidedly not under cert conditions.

It’s the first time I’ve been able to bend the Red without rubber bands, so I’m super pleased with that. The Huge was done over the course of maybe 20 minutes, kinked in doubles and finished in BBWs. It’s a doable bend, but it’s going to take a lot to get there. 

88A2DE27-84F7-4069-852A-491B5A43C9EA.jpeg

66C63E06-855E-4290-BB54-7FA79B7AB291.jpeg

• Like 5

Congrats on the cert Red.  Very nice session.

• Like 1

Nice.  Pretty sure that was a pure expression of beard power.

• Like 1

Sunday was a good day.

Did the following bends:

RedNail replica, IMPs

4.8 bolt - doubles

A2, 8mm, SS bolt - doubles

7mm, 7", CRS Nail - single IMP

2 RedNail replicas, doubles

• Like 6

Heimdall bar cert bend

Loki bar cert bend

Badass bars from JT! Loving the wraps also. I think once they are broke in they will be my new favorite.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Heimdall bar cert bend

Loki bar cert bend

Badass bars from JT! Loving the wraps also. I think once they are broke in they will be my new favorite.

Nice! Are the wraps similar to BBW? 

• Like 1

Nice bend, @Tommy J.. I think I'm gonna try that Heimdall this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today’s session: two Reds under cert conditions, a grade 5 snapped on my back, and a 15” piece of rebar snapped standing. The rebar is a little narrower than what I expected and wanted - I think my supplier measured around the ribs (Horne measures inside the ribs), so I basically have 9mm rebar and was planning to do 10mm. Oh well. 

I was surprised how abruptly the rebar snapped. With the grade 5s they hold on for a little bit - you can see it trying to hang together. With the rebar, there was basically time to notice one crack and then the whole thing broke on the next open. 

07446966-8FD6-4BF3-8D9E-22C564598CEE.jpeg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Nice! Are the wraps similar to BBW? 

Yes

And much like BB wraps, they are unruly when new. Once these are broke in they will no doubt be my favorite wraps

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Horrido said:

Nice ones Tommy! Looking forward to get my hands also on this bars.

You will destroy them!

• Like 2