Jump to content
Horrido

2020 - Poems of Steel

Recommended Posts

Tommy J.
16 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Nice bend, @Tommy J.. I think I'm gonna try that Heimdall this week.

Thank you sir!

Go ham and you'll get it.

 

btw I’m really digging this cert JT has going. The single wraps, no bands, and 60 second limit are perfect imo. That said, I can’t wait to see Heimdall and Loki’s big brothers come out!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Briso
Posted (edited)

Ok, Ive been away from steel bending for ages.....but I'm back at it again now! 🙂

About 2 years since I did a bending workout.....but got stuck in today and did the following with single ironmind wraps:

  • 1 piece of 7mm stainless x 7"
  • 3 pieces of 8mm mild steel x 7" (from memory this batch was a little bit tougher than a red)

My form/movement is rusty as hell and one of the bends horribly off centre....but at least it gets the ball rolling!

Got a bit carried away and did the 4 bends within about 5 or 6 minutes.

Next workout will be more structured! 

Here is the video - 

 

Nice to be back 🙂

 

Edited by Briso
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate
1 hour ago, Briso said:

Ok, Ive been away from steel bending for ages.....but I'm back at it again now! 🙂

About 2 years since I did a bending workout.....but got stuck in today and did the following:

  • 1 piece of 7mm stainless x 7"
  • 3 pieces of 8mm mild steel x 7" (from memory this batch was a little bit tougher than a red)

My form/movement is rusty as hell and one of the bends horribly off centre....but at least it gets the ball rolling!

Got a bit carried away and did the 4 bends within about 5 or 6 minutes.

Next workout will be more structured! 

Here is the video - 

 

Nice to be back 🙂

 

Impressive to jump right back at that level. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Briso
1 minute ago, anwnate said:

Impressive to jump right back at that level. 

I was actually surprised myself......which is probably why I got a bit carried away!

Truth be told, I had very little steel cut so just used what was sitting about today LOL!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Horrido

Great to see you back at it @Briso

Hope we will see more bends from you soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Briso
1 minute ago, Horrido said:

Great to see you back at it @Briso

Hope we will see more bends from you soon!

Hopefully so my friend! I’m going to be cutting some more steel in the next day or two and get into the habit of regular steel bending sessions again! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Squeezus

How often do y'all bend? Do you alternate heavy and light sessions or just feel it out?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate

I think that's gonna vary alot depending on your experience, your age, and your goals.

I'm coming on 48 and with my lifting, dont recover enough to bend heavy more than once a week. 

That said, I'm doing light work with minimum padding to condition my hands pretty much every day.

No one will know your body's responses better than you.  A rote pattern is good to start, then easy to tweak.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
1 hour ago, Squeezus said:

How often do y'all bend? Do you alternate heavy and light sessions or just feel it out?

Depends on the style. Reverse I need long rest, can only do it max one time per week, 3-5 bars max. Right now I'm training it once every 10 days or so, trying to do atleast three difficult bends.

Double overhand is easier, can train it 3-4 times a week. But I usually take a break for a week or two if I feel that I have stalled and don't improve. That approach has worked for me so far. I mostly bend in doubles but if I bend in singles I can't do as much since it shreds the skin a lot more. Doing light bends when resting to work on technique is good I feel.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donc101
2 hours ago, Squeezus said:

How often do y'all bend? Do you alternate heavy and light sessions or just feel it out?

I bend heavy 2 x a week. Normally do a bunch of different types of bending each session, about 2 hours total a session.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Horrido
6 hours ago, Donc101 said:

I bend heavy 2 x a week. Normally do a bunch of different types of bending each session, about 2 hours total a session.

Same here. But only one hour per session and of course only DO.

Sometimes I do high Volume with moderate bars and sometimes I go very heavy on one or two bars.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jaden Majensky

Just a training bend, nothing too special. I haven't done any big 8" bends in a while and damn does it show. This was also for whatever reason a bad luck of the draw as far as stock. Anybody who has been been bending long enough knows that especially things like spikes/nails vary all over the board. This time I got an exceptionally tough one. The arc has way more wide and springy than other 80d's I've bent in the past almost like a hard piece of HRS.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Squeezus

I've only been doing 1x per week, but mainly because I need a whole week to recover. Last night's session wasn't too bad, though. Maybe I'm getting tougher.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

Just once a week, heavy (for me) never really do significant volume.

95+% is DO but if that just isn't working out on a certain day, I'll try a bit of reverse, if that isn't working out, I'll try it underhand.

If that doesn't work, I'll just do a few more 12oz curls.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate

Making it look easy. :rock

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Truman
On 6/17/2020 at 9:46 PM, Squeezus said:

How often do y'all bend? Do you alternate heavy and light sessions or just feel it out?

Once per week works fine for me.

At the moment i'm going for more Volume, adding a heavy bend now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
Posted (edited)

I bent heavy almost every time I bent.  I bent almost every day.  I would usually only do 1 - 2 bends a session and my goal was always to get a PR (harder, shorter, faster, smaller wraps than last time, etc.).  I bent 5 - 7 days a week like that for about 3 years.  Never got too badly injured, but my body took a beating.  Everyone is different though.  I made progress every week for those three years and got to or near the top of all the bending lists at the time.  Some people, bending like that, wouldn't last a month.  Others might be able to bend even more. 

I don't think I would have made anywhere near the progress I made if I was only going hard 1 day a week, but I might have done better at 3-4 hard sessions a week.  But bending for me was always 90% mental and I seemed to lose my mental edge over the steel if I didn't battle with it as often as possible. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donc101
1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I bent heavy almost every time I bent.  I bent almost every day.  I would usually only do 1 - 2 bends a session and my goal was always to get a PR (harder, shorter, faster, smaller wraps than last time, etc.).  I bent 5 - 7 days a week like that for about 3 years.  Never got too badly injured, but my body took a beating.  Everyone is different though.  I made progress every week for those three years and got to or near the top of all the bending lists at the time.  Some people, bending like that, wouldn't last a month.  Others might be able to bend even more. 

I don't think I would have made anywhere near the progress I made if I was only going hard 1 day a week, but I might have done better at 3-4 hard sessions a week.  But bending for me was always 90% mental and I seemed to lose my mental edge over the steel if I didn't battle with it as often as possible. 

5-7 days a week, You are a warrior Mike! No way I could recover. I am normally destroyed after a session and need a couple days. What was your favorite type of bending?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate
1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I bent heavy almost every time I bent.  I bent almost every day...

...But bending for me was always 90% mental and I seemed to lose my mental edge over the steel if I didn't battle with it as often as possible. 

Epic.  That's why there are so few Rindo's in this world. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
17 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

5-7 days a week, You are a warrior Mike! No way I could recover. I am normally destroyed after a session and need a couple days. What was your favorite type of bending?

It changed over the years.  First it was short steel, then braced, and finally I fell in love with the shoes.  

On the short steel, the shorter the better.  I never had the flexibility for anything over 7" and liked 4-6 better.  Started out doing mostly doubles and eventually dropped down to IMPs and barehand bending mostly.

Braced, I loved midbar and got pretty good at short.  Hated long but was decent.

Shoes of all kinds and sizes.  That's where I had my most success.  Definitely my favorite.

I was never the best at anything, but around the heyday of bendersbattlefield.com and the BEAST in The East tourneys, I was top 2-5 in all 3 of the above categories.  Being well rounded was what I was most proud of.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
Just now, anwnate said:

Epic.  That's why there are so few Rindo's in this world. :)

The world is a better place because of it Nate.  🤣

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wobbler

@Briso nice work! How far onto the bar do you put the wraps? Especially with ironmind pads, I just don't see how people can bend with 1) their index finger on the wrap and not the bar, and 2) with the wraps less than 2, or 1.75" onto the bar.

I usually mark 2" with a sharpie and put the wraps right up to the line, and index finger on the bar. So I really have a lot of my hand on the actual bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Briso
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, wobbler said:

@Briso nice work! How far onto the bar do you put the wraps? Especially with ironmind pads, I just don't see how people can bend with 1) their index finger on the wrap and not the bar, and 2) with the wraps less than 2, or 1.75" onto the bar.

I usually mark 2" with a sharpie and put the wraps right up to the line, and index finger on the bar. So I really have a lot of my hand on the actual bar.

For me, I have the wraps marked at 1.5" and always have done.

Personally it feels like a solid grip, but it's probably just because I'm used to that.

This was always the case for me, as I think I just read it somewhere when I got started! 😁

Ive never experimented with it to be honest!

I wonder what everyone else does now! lol

Also, regarding my finger on the bar.....I used to have more of my index finger on the bar,  but this was my first session back since May 2017, so I honestly was really out of practice. Ive looked back at my older videos and the finger definitely is more on the steel!

Edited by Briso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danny Young

Finally bent this without pre kinking it. From start to finish in single IMPs only and off center too!

20200622_185155.jpg

20200622_185210.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Flesher

Today I did some practice snaps for Steel Shredder 7 and then some DO stock. 15” rebar and a 60D (lying on my back) snapped, then a Bastard and a Huge Bastard (took about 5:20).

The lying snaps feel like I’m missing some major piece of the technique. I can’t figure out how to apply force with a thigh crush so I just end up chest crushing the nail or bolt instead. It works but it’s slow and inefficient. 
 

 

D2CE5112-AB3A-4090-81E9-F8BB2929DD5A.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.