Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

I think it´s time for an own thread, as the last days show, that this year can become very special again for the steel bending world.

it started with the following threads from Tommy:

And as it looks there will be some great comebacks in steel bending.

Tommy and I try to contact several benders all over the world to rise steel bending again in a new shine and get all of the great guys out of retirement.
So dust your pads off, crab some steel and have a good time with the feats of strength.
Time to hunt bigger steel than in the past!

This thread is for all the news that will come and to have all the things together, so that nobody had to search through several threads!

So let´s go guys! If you have something to say or to announce or some questions write them down here!

@Tommy J. @EJ Livesey @acorn  @J.T. Straussner @Paul Knight @Donc101 @vikingsrule92 @acromegaman @Stanley sallee @Briso @camz @Martin Kotte @Truman @David_wigren @Mike Rinderle @VITALIK SEVKO @Vankovich_Kirill @Juha Lehtimäki @zs242 @Buccos1 @Jaden Majensky @KRC @Alawadhi @Squeezus @wobbler @PITTisKING

Edited by Horrido
2020 - 2021
  • Like 12

Just a quick adder to this, PK is very busy but did like the idea. Not sure we will see him back just yet. JT was interested but is also super busy these days. He did say he had a big strong homie that would more than likely join us. Can’t recall his name?.. but if JT is willing to mention the guy, I’m betting he won’t disappoint! And I’m calling JT a maybe. 🤞🏻

I think he might jump in once the scene gets jumping. Maybe...

i might do the cash challenge bends only monthly. Unless I or someone else spots that somebody is getting close to moving up a bend, then I might* offer that particular guy a cash incentive to make it happen by “x” date so we can keep things rolling. We could even do a cash pot challenge bend thing if others are willing to throw in? Could get interesting. Dunno. What do you guys think?

What’s everyone’s goal bends right now? Long and short term?

personally, I’m planning to ride this all the way to a gold nail cert. never did take aim at it before. And I’m not getting any younger. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Much of what I plan to bend will be 8-3/8” in singles to get conditioned to that length and in the cordura. But will be hitting some 7”+ stuff in doubles to help build power along the way. It’s gonna be a long bumpy road for me.

Where y’all at?

• Like 6

My main goal right now is the Bolt 10.9 - 8mm x 7" this thing stopped me several times and I have to do it this year! It's a goal I have since starting bending and for sure an elite bend!

I am planning to open a small shirt shop with steel bending designs (Also Armwrestling and Grip Strength designs) with shipping worldwide. Might need some more weeks and I have no idea how this will be in the end and if someone like this stuff. It will not be really much money to earn with it, but I would throw this in the cash pot for new challenges.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Horrido said:

My main goal right now is the Bolt 10.9 - 8mm x 7" this thing stopped me several times and I have to do it this year! It's a goal I have since starting bending and for sure an elite bend!

I am planning to open a small shirt shop with steel bending designs (Also Armwrestling and Grip Strength designs) with shipping worldwide. Might need some more weeks and I have no idea how this will be in the end and if someone like this stuff. It will not be really much money to earn with it, but I would throw this in the cash pot for new challenges.

The big G8 will happen this year for you. I’m gonna see to it.

very cool on the shirts! That’s a badass idea actually. 

Tried to like your post but apparently ran out of likes for the day..

• Like 3

Over 2 years away from bending (think it was around May 2017)...but back in the game as of...now and going for the KOAB 

Lost momentum a few years ago after I certed on the FBBC Big Duke, as I had a bad shoulder injury shortly after.

But looking forward to getting back on the trail again now! 

• Like 5

This is great to see all of this bending talk here. Looks like some great goals to accomplish and destroy!

Personally, I will work on Steel Shredder 6 steel once I get more in. Also, it’s time to start training hard in all styles to prepare for my Michigan steel bending comp in May. I have not been training braced or snapping as much as normal and will pick those up. Hopefully, I can get back to doing reverse. I tweaked my elbow doing the reverse Bastard cert and have not been able to reverse since then. I think it is good to go now, need to ease into it. I would love to get the big and huge reverse bastards this year.

I normally don’t do tons of DO. It is motivating to read all this DO talk though. I may do a serious run at the KOAB once my contest is done and focus on DO this summer.

Good luck with your training everyone!

• Like 5

Sup, guys. I'm pretty new to this and not very good at it yet. Working on bending the Red Nail at the moment. I'm bending 7" stock right around 400lbs right now.  I'm also working on a steel rating rig, so keep an eye out for that.

@Tommy J. the guy that JT is talking about is probably @Stanley sallee. He is a phenomenal bender and very gifted in grip as well. I expect that we will see some ridiculous bends out of him.

• Like 7

Sounds good guys.

No matter if you are new or an experienced bender. Here is the right place to ask, get help, to push each other to higher bends.

The Red will come very soon and then the big fun begins!

• Like 3

I think my bending days are far behind me. My arms are too big to allow me to even get a bar under my chin anymore for that matter. Would have to lose 40lbs and at least 1 - 1.5" off my biceps as well as a good bit off my forearm size to get appropriate position bend even a 7" bar. Arms just won't bend far enough with bicep and forearm hitting like they do.

Good luck to those still at it though.

- Aaron

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, acorn said:

I think my bending days are far behind me. My arms are too big to allow me to even get a bar under my chin anymore for that matter. Would have to lose 40lbs and at least 1 - 1.5" off my biceps as well as a good bit off my forearm size to get appropriate position bend even a 7" bar. Arms just won't bend far enough with bicep and forearm hitting like they do.

- Aaron

"I'm too muscular to do that" is a pretty good problem to have lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, acorn said:

- Aaron

That’s a humble brag if I’ve ever seen one 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

"I'm too muscular to do that" is a pretty good problem to have lol.

E3BE5B3F-63BA-4370-93A9-821441899DB6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, FrankSobotka said:

That’s a humble brag if I’ve ever seen one 

He may be right though.  I'm a little guy, but my arms are big in proportion to my body and they do actually hinder my flexibility.  I doubt I could bend most of the stuff the bend gods are bending anyway, but since I can't really get my arms to the place they should be, there's no question.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

He may be right though.  I'm a little guy, but my arms are big in proportion to my body and they do actually hinder my flexibility.  I doubt I could bend most of the stuff the bend gods are bending anyway, but since I can't really get my arms to the place they should be, there's no question.

I agree your proportions hinder you for DO. And maybe even DU. But I’m betting you could do some impressive reverse

• Like 4

8 hours ago, acorn said:

- Aaron

I was never a great (hell even a good) bender but I had the same problem. To get the bar closer to my neck I had to cut back on weight lifting to reduce my size to cert the red nail. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I agree your proportions hinder you for DO. And maybe even DU. But I’m betting you could do some impressive reverse

I can reverse better than I can do the other ways but still not much - like I've reversed a couple of 60-ds and they seemed pretty hard.  Seems like injury cultivation in fact.  I'd rather do weights.

As it is important to get also new benders in line, here are some thoughts for the beginning and the intermediate:

To strive for the red nail cert there are some simple facts: only bending in IMP´s and only bending 7" bars. This is very important to get the hands familiar with the pads and the shoulder with the length of the bar. No experiments, stuck with it till the red nail cert is official.

For the Progression: Here in europe it is very simple because we have CRS in 6mm, 7mm and 8mm. The average CRS 8mm is a little bit harder than a red, feels like typical Bastard. so you have to work towards the 8mm. Very simple, start with a lighter bar, depends on your actual strength level. For example you can bend the 7mm Bar, start with it and increase the volume in every bending session or every week (depends on your personal things like other training, work, time and so on). If you have to start with the 6mm do it and then after a short time you will jump to the 7mm bar.
If you can bend like 10pcs of the 7mm bar in one session, take some days off and than you are ready to try the 8mm bar or directly a red nail. If you can bend then the red, repeat it like two or three times and then write to ironmind to get certed.
It´s really that simple with the volume work. It may not work for everybody for sure, but it worked for me in the past and it worked for the last two red nail certs here in Germany (Daniel and Richard) - Richard for example only needs three or four months from beginning to red nail cert.
If you might take longer like an half year or a whole year, don´t worry there are a lot of factors but keep going and it will fall.

In the USA I know that you don´t have something like the 7mm bars for a great progression, but you have a lot of the drill rods (I am not familiar with this stuff, so you better ask an experianced bender in the states) and you have the 1/4" G8 Bolt. When you can bend 10 of them then you should also ready for the red.

How often do you should bend in a week? It depends (always the best answer ;) ) - some can bend every day, some every second, some two times a week and some only on one day in a week. No matter why and how - some have a great regeneration on the bending and a lot of time others not (mostly everybody has a full time schedule with Family, a house, normal work and a dog - if you don´t have a dog you should get one - this will also help your bending progress and make you an better human). So hear to your body signals and be intelligent with your sessions. the harder the better is not the best option. Be smart and take a good work to your goal. If your hands are (bad word filter)ed up with some blisters or the skin is open use tape for this areas and you will be fine. There speaks nothing against a little taping on your training bends (you only can´t use it with the certs, that´s it).

Get familiar with the technique is very important! There are a lot of factors in there (like hand and shoulder positioning, bar high under your chin, breathing and bracing, hip drive, shoulders down and so on) the earlier you can get better with all of that the easier it´s in the end or on higher bars.
If you can´t get the bar with ease under your chin work on your shoulder mobility - do some banded dislocations, pull aparts and face pulls and/or search for some shoulder mobility drills in the Internet. Do this stuff before every session or better everyday - it don´t take more time than perhaps 10 minutes - so just do it to get better.
Watch a lot of Videos from good benders and look to every Detail and try to copy this in your bends, or you are filming your bends and asking here for some thoughts. The experience shows that every active bender will be very active to help others.
Also watch Tommys IMP 101 Video (you can find it here in the "Very important Bending Videos" - Thread) and do it exactly like him in your padding game.

If you have the red nail cert in your pocket, the whole bending journey Begins! You can use the flow to make some other good bends in IMP´s like the Bastard, the Shiny, the Golden and some 6,5" stuff and it´s now the time to get familiar with the thicker wrapds like BB Wraps and the double pads - IMP´s and leather.
To make another progress run I used the same system like in the beginning. I worked with the doubles on the 8mm Bars till I reached the 10pcs and then I was able to get the first 9mm Bar down, all CRS of course. Then another wave of volume on the 9mm Bars till I reached my first 10mm Bar.
This will be hard times for sure beacuse high volume on higher bars are very brutal but it worked for me. And to end this post with one important sentence:
If you want get better in bending you have to bend a lot of steel - nothing magic or need of some special exercises - just bend!

P.S. sorry for not the best english! Here is a kraut speaking.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

My only goal right now is to complete this 80 lb weight drop.  40 something to go. 

It's been about 7 years since I've done any short steel bending and two SLAP tears have pretty much said no to any kind of DO bending.  I have been feeling the itch a little bit.  Maybe I'll try for a red reverse in IMPs after my Jenny Craig phase.   Then again... the shoes are always a possibility too.  😈

Great to see some excitement around bending again!  I will be following this closely.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My only goal right now is to complete this 80 lb weight drop.  40 something to go. 

It's been about 7 years since I've done any short steel bending and two SLAP tears have pretty much said no to any kind of DO bending.  I have been feeling the itch a little bit.  Maybe I'll try for a red reverse in IMPs after my Jenny Craig phase.   Then again... the shoes are always a possibility too.  😈

Great to see some excitement around bending again!  I will be following this closely.

Will we see Cletus again?

I'm still working toward bending the Gold Nail under cert conditions. I was getting close, I can do 3/8 12L14 steel and some 3/8 CRS in single IMPs, but I injured the middle finger on my right hand and I can't apply a lot of pressure on it, I've also had to stop training grippers and thick bar. As soon as it heals I'm going after the Gold full force.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PITTisKING said:

I'm still working toward bending the Gold Nail under cert conditions. I was getting close, I can do 3/8 12L14 steel and some 3/8 CRS in single IMPs, but I injured the middle finger on my right hand and I can't apply a lot of pressure on it, I've also had to stop training grippers and thick bar. As soon as it heals I'm going after the Gold full force.

Word!

i remember back when many were saying it was “impossible” to do. Not sure why anyone ever believed that.. but I heard it said many times by many people. I think what they meant to say was “the gold nail feels impossible for them to cert. so they don’t think anyone else can.” Time heals that kind of stupidity. And when the first cert happens, others will follow soon thereafter.

the biggest puzzle that needs solving with that bend is actually right in everyone’s faces... you have to simply specialize at 8-3/8” and work your way through thicker and thicker bars. There is no magic. But there is also no shortcuts. You have to put in the work at that length. And who have we seen yet in the bending community diligently pursue that length for any extended period? Not really anyone. Including myself.

so I’ll add some more encouragement to those wondering. When Eric was calibrating steel, the highest he ever had a gold nail come in at was low 600’s. Like, 610’ish. Anyone that has done a KOAB or a big G8 has already surpassed that poundage. And now it’s just a matter of making your power zone 8-3/8” instead of 7” or less.

further, I’ve bent gold nails. Once it’s kinked, your nailing it. The sweep and crush on a 8”+ bar at 600lbs on the high end, literally feels like a stiff Edgin. Don’t believe me? For those that can bend Edgins with relative ease, pre kink a gold nail to 30 degrees, wrap it in imps, and finish it. And youll start drooling when you realize just how close you already are to a complete bend of one.

Signed,

Tommy J.

Jan 8th, 2020~ currently no certified gold nail bender(s)

Let this post stand in time as the “told ya so!” post about the gold nail cert for when it DOES happen.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 6

I am still new to this, but I have been diving into the rating aspect of bending and found some interesting stuff regarding how the Krahling rating method differs between lengths of bar.

Without really diving into the precise math (free body diagram) of it, I can tell you that the Krahling rating, while great for comparative rating between different grades and diameters of the same length bar, overstates the difference between a 7" bar and a 6" bar by about 50%. In plain English, this means that a 7" bar rated 400 by the Krahling method would be rated 480 if it were cut down to 6". Using a calculation that puts the pivot point further out towards the end of the bars, (where the force is more likely to be applied in real bending, rather than 3/4" in), this same bar would only increase to about 456lbs when cut from 7" to 6". Having bent a mixture of 6" and 7" stock, I can anecdotally say that the rating increase between the stock sizes is overstated.

All that to say, the converse would also be true. The reduction in rating of the Gold Nail is overstated using the Krahling method because of it's length and it is likely harder than the rating would lead us to believe. Even so, I think that there are several people alive right now that can potentially achieve that certification, regardless of what the rating system says. Same with the #4 gripper. It's just like the 4min mile. After someone finally does it, there will be others to follow.

I have been thinking really hard about rating steel and how to get the most accurate and repeatable comparative difficulty between various sizes of bar and I haven't quite figured it out yet. I'll keep y'all posted on what I come up with.

Also, if this is too off topic, feel free to move it to a new one.

• Like 6

100% on topic if you ask me. I’ll do a couple quick drawings pointing out 1 area I feel like is overlooked by steel calibrations..

15CAF067-D78D-4FC0-9384-B50345F0AFB8.jpeg

• Like 3

If the chain length i pointed out is longer, you’ll get a higher calibration. If that chain length is shortened, you’ll get a much lower calibration on the exact same steel. Given you place the clamps on the bar at the exact same distance inward.

It can actually help a bender better understand what force on the bar to mimic for a stronger kink. Worth noting I think. The harder you push inward, the easier it is to bend basically. Same principal applies to calibration. The shorter that chain, the more inward force.

• Like 1