Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

After barehanding a number of different nails, I'm now convinced that a DO barehand Red is possible also. 

It would definitely help to cherry pick one without jagged ends...but I see it happening down the road.

A red barehand with DO style would be absolute epic. The force on the hands skin at the start position is really hard. I think I am not bad at the one IMP thing, but barehand is another world in this case. Would love to see it at a time but I think this is really near the unbelivable thing. But also don't know where we all are in five years and what level then is the new standard.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Horrido said:

...But also don't know where we all are in five years and what level then is the new standard.

Absolutely!  It's scary to think what may happen down the road.

• Like 2

Finished todays bending session with a one IMP bend. If i stay healthy I would like to bend the red nail in one IMP next year.

Bad video. Gotta fix a set-up in the gym for a camera. I have been spoiled by my gf who has been filming all my bends lately.

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Like 4

So I picked up bending recently because there might be a competition next summer which runs DU/Reverse bending. Started of with 6mm and 7mm nails and then proceeded to 8mm HRS 

Here's 8mm 180mm HRS from 2 days ago. Any technique pointers or idea's is very welcome. Goals is 8mm HRS 100mm to next Summer. 

• Like 5

Looked pretty good to me. I would flip the bar for the crush. A DU Bend is normally complete at 40 degrees, unless the rules in your comp is different.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Looked pretty good to me. I would flip the bar for the crush. A DU Bend is normally complete at 40 degrees, unless the rules in your comp is different.

Thanks! I think they want it to 60 degrees. The fully bend was just because I want to try to learn how to include more of my chest in the bend :) 

Edited by Lennix

Been a while since I posted progress, I spent my time bringing up weak areas. Completed 9/32 in imps DO today and feel like I’m officially on the road to the red. Critiques on form welcome. 

• Like 5

Good job!

I would say it looks pretty good! You just gotta keep bending and increase your pain tolerance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, William James said:

Been a while since I posted progress, I spent my time bringing up weak areas. Completed 9/32 in imps DO today and feel like I’m officially on the road to the red. Critiques on form welcome. 

Looks pretty good. Maybe could get more power driving forward on the initial hits. 9/32 is a good step up. Do you know Anton, Tom and the other NY benders? Would be good to hook up with those guys.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

Good job!

I would say it looks pretty good! You just gotta keep bending and increase your pain tolerance. 

Thank you! Been trying to toughen up the hands using World of grip wraps for warm ups. Not used to these longer bends digging into my hands. 

5 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Looks pretty good. Maybe could get more power driving forward on the initial hits. 9/32 is a good step up. Do you know Anton, Tom and the other NY benders? Would be good to hook up with those guys.

Thanks Don! Yeah, I’ll keep that in mind. I did a grade 5 after this and took a few hits to get the initial movement, so maybe not distributing power consistently.  

Yeah for sure - if there are NYC benders out there, shoot me a message.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had to take the last month off from bending after straining 2 fingers during acrobatics. I've had a couple of successful sessions with the Wrist Developer and Steel Bender's Helper, so I might try some steel either Wed or Fri. I was right on the verge of 5/16 x 7" HRS, so hopefully I haven't lost too much. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure this thread is the only good thing about 2020...

Today’s boneyard is 2 5/16 HRS Bars cut to 7 1/4 as warmups (I like to go a little longer than 7 to help stretch out my shoulders), a Horrido 4.8, a Red under cert conditions (all IMPs), and then a 10” wrench just for the hell of it. First big session in a while, and it felt very promising. 

65DA4CA6-27CC-4038-8F3B-5AFD07D65F9F.jpeg

784CC592-8CAC-446F-8A51-8E39E800BAE9.jpeg

• Like 7

On 9/22/2020 at 8:36 AM, AcroBend said:

I've had to take the last month off from bending after straining 2 fingers during acrobatics. I've had a couple of successful sessions with the Wrist Developer and Steel Bender's Helper, so I might try some steel either Wed or Fri. I was right on the verge of 5/16 x 7" HRS, so hopefully I haven't lost too much. 

I know it’s been a while - how has the recovery gone?

16 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

I know it’s been a while - how has the recovery gone?

Thanks for checking in! I am fully recovered, but I've been struggling to get back on the bending schedule I was on before the injury. This is mainly due to acrobatics starting up again, but also a shift in priorities as my hand balancing and metabolic conditioning got stronger while my fingers were healing. It's always a balancing act for me to consistently do all of the activities that I normally do. When one gets stronger, the other tends to fall off. 

But today looks to be open to do some actual bending after my strength training session(s). It'll be interesting to see what I can do. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AcroBend said:

Thanks for checking in! I am fully recovered, but I've been struggling to get back on the bending schedule I was on before the injury. This is mainly due to acrobatics starting up again, but also a shift in priorities as my hand balancing and metabolic conditioning got stronger while my fingers were healing. It's always a balancing act for me to consistently do all of the activities that I normally do. When one gets stronger, the other tends to fall off. 

But today looks to be open to do some actual bending after my strength training session(s). It'll be interesting to see what I can do. 

Man, do I feel this. The school year starting is always difficult from a scheduling perspective. This year I’m also prepping for King Kong and a November strongman competition that  was supposed to be in August. Bending unfortunately got left on the back burner for a little while (which helped with some lingering injuries, at least).

I’ve also been doing more GPP as part of a campaign to squeeze into a slightly lower weight class for those competitions, and man, there are only so many hours in the day.

Doing Steel Shredder 7 also free some focus away from DO, unbraced bending and the heavier braced bars that I’m best at. I’m trying to finish my Red Nail cert and then probably doing more to focus on chasing the Hexabastard after that. 

• Like 2

Nothing to write home about (mainly because I failed my 12” wrench on the thigh crush) but a decent second session this week: two HRS 5/16x7.25 to warm up, a Horrido A4, and a Red.

Ironmind is mailing my cert package so I’m making sure I’m ready. Not sure when it will arrive or when I’ll make the attempt.

8D7DAA4E-8D98-48F2-BD9A-2D46B8655922.jpeg

• Like 7

I did a bend. I had a little problem on the initial kink because the bar placement was not quite right. The same thing happened on the 8.8 I bent prior to this. Both were fun in their own respect.

• Like 5

Something I’ve been working on after beginning my steel bending practice back in August, is how to balance my other training pursuits without increasing my chance of injury or overtraining. Over the last few months, steel bending has been lumped into the same time as my hand balancing sessions (directly afterwards), which can go upwards to 3 hours a day. Through August and September that was fine, but this month has shown a noticeable difference In both my hand balancing and new steel bending practice, in that the quality in both were actually suffering. I also was experiencing tennis elbow on both arms, and my shoulder health started to suffer, killing the quality of my other practice. 

After noticing all this happening, I took a week off all training in hand balancing and steel bending, focusing solely on recovery, mobility and light flexibility work. What I’ve decided to do going forward is move my steel bending practice into the mornings right after breakfast and coffee, and keep my hand balance practice in the evenings, moving from cramming it all in into the evening. Having the morning to start fresh in bending, and having the day to recover for the hand balance practice at night, I think will spread the work well. Bending will be done just twice a week as well, to add ample recovery between sessions, with handbalance staying at 5 sessions a week. Anyone who trains other physical disciplines outside of bending have thoughts? 

I started back into bending this morning, and the break really helped the session, with no experience of discomfort in the elbows or shoulders. Currently working at 9/32x7 CRS FBBC for the workout, with a bend slightly over for a max. Video is my 9/32x7 bend, and in the photo, CRS on the left from the video, and the max bend for today: .2900 Drill Rod, “L”, rated a bit higher than 9/32x7 CRS. What’s funny about that max bend, it was done before the steel in the video. It was supposed to be .2720 Drill Rod, “I”, but I grabbed the wrong bar from the table. What I expected to be easier was actually much harder, and that’s when I realized I grabbed the wrong rod, haha. Smashed it anyways. It was my first experience with drill rod, and the crush was a killer. 

Thanks for reading! 

FA3B43EA-D41C-44BB-ADFA-33C7D584B23D.jpeg

Edited by MikeF.
  • Like 4

Hard day at work, only 2.5 degrees of movement :laugh Felt like my thumb webbing was run over by a freight train...

Need to find some steel to bridge the gap, maybe some 4.8 bolts :)

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Long time no news from me, only the one IMP bend two weeks ago. Still working on getting stronger but hanging on this plateau where I was the half year ago. But no problem, still working hard and the time will bring more strength.

Yesterdays session was:

CRS 9mm x 7"

NobleForce 200kg

NobleForce 205kg

CRS Square 8mm x 7"

All in doubles, all went down good. Great bars from Noble Force with good quality, the steel is like the old Iron Grip bars. Very fine.

IMG_20201111_203323.thumb.jpg.ca7984dc29081018a6c24135655c82dd.jpg

• Like 5

New cert attempt from me.
This last six months has been so good to me. Gonna do what I can to keep it going!

• Like 5

Tried some endurance bending today, reverse style. Did 20 pieces of 7 mm nails cut down to 150-160 mm in single suedes touching in the middle. Took me about 20 minutes, tore the skin in my palm half way through which made it harder to work in a high tempo. I want to try this with grade 5 bolts next time. These are fairly equal to grade 5 at the same length, but not as springy of course.

I only had one pair of pads, that's why I removed the head.

IMG_1700.thumb.JPG.cda535463ef47b8ae1532acde8ed70de.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My last strongman contest was two weeks ago (I did pretty well for me, although I didn’t podium) so I’ve been able to do a little more bending recently. 

First bend of the day was for David Horne’s “Usain Bolt-Off” (a bite-sized snapping event every weekend) - a 166kg grade 5 snap on my back. Official time was 2:01.

Then just a little fun stuff - an 8” wrench, some HRS at 7.25”, a blue nail snap and a 3/4x44 braced bend. 

839A4F97-7120-469A-97AE-BB79BC2B335C.jpeg

Edited by Tom Flesher
  • Like 4

New PR bend down, 19/64 (.2969) drill rod from FBBC! Something I’ve only recently learned about drill rod is that compared to CRS bends, it’s difficulty stays relatively the same throughout the entire bend. While the kink felt similar to that of 1/4 square CRS, the mid range bend and crush were definitely MUCH more difficult for me. It felt good to see I I could get it done though! 

I’ll finish out the rest of this drill rod I have , and then move on to see if I can take down N (.302) drill rod. From there, sights are set on the green Grade 8 bolts I have, and then on to the biggest benchmark I have for myself currently, the Bastard and Red Nail. Moving onwards and upwards. 

• Like 3

Very nice to see your progress Mike. Good work and it's only a matter of time and patience before the big goals will fall.

• Like 1