Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

On 4/5/2020 at 8:23 PM, Squeezus said:

Anybody ever run into non-spiral Reds that are significantly harder than other non-spiral Reds?

I've had a few in the past that were significantly harder.  From memory, when most of the Reds were being rated around 420-430, there were a few that were closer to 460-470.  Just recently, a few months ago, I ran into one that stopped me at about 30 degrees.  I'm not anywhere  near where I used to be with bending, but I stopped after about 30 seconds, grabbed another (identical-looking Red), wrapped it up and destroyed it in about 15-or-so seconds.   With the one right before it, felt like my elbow tendon was going to snap.  Not worth that kind of battle anymore.  But two identical-looking Reds, back-to-back, the first one brutal; the second one melted within minutes after it.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Horrido said:

Here is my bend from yesterday....
Had this little (bad word filter)er on the ToDo list for a while but never tried it. Yesterday I gave it a go after my normal bending Training and this is the result.

Sick bend!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

I've had a few in the past that were significantly harder.  From memory, when most of the Reds were being rated around 420-430, there were a few that were closer to 460-470.  Just recently, a few months ago, I ran into one that stopped me at about 30 degrees.  I'm not anywhere  near where I used to be with bending, but I stopped after about 30 seconds, grabbed another (identical-looking Red), wrapped it up and destroyed it in about 15-or-so seconds.   With the one right before it, felt like my elbow tendon was going to snap.  Not worth that kind of battle anymore.  But two identical-looking Reds, back-to-back, the first one brutal; the second one melted within minutes after it.

That sounds like some that I have run into. I have done 2 that stopped me dead in my tracks at about 30deg and had to be finished in later sessions, and this last hard one took me 5min to finish. All of the other reds and bastards that I have tried have been sub-20 second bends. I doubt there's anybody with a better sampling of reds than you, though. 

• Like 4

Tried a blue nail today and it went nicely. Tried to keep my elbows up more; I think it’s an improvement on the previous attempts. I notice my right elbow is sort off kilter, not sure if that’s a mobility issue. Comments welcome on form 

• Like 2

I was cleaning out the garage and found a pair of Benders Battlefield wraps.  Folded them in thirds and ironed them nice and neat - having a heck of a time wrapping them - they get all messed up - anyone have any "tricks" to getting a fairly neat wrap with them?  I've tried clamping them to a board like I do my leathers but no luck.  I had a little trouble first time I wrapped my IM wraps but nothing like this.

• Like 1

@William James keep on the practice, the more you bend lighter bars the better the positioning and the movement will be. Try to work on your shoulder mobility and after a few weeks it will be better and better. Important info: train with the length of the bar, which is the main goal bar.

@climber511 if the pads are too stiff you can try to wash them with mild detergent and put them in a dryer afterwards.

Also the more you use them the better they will get. Brand new pads are horrible in the use in the first sessions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Horrido said:

@William James keep on the practice, the more you bend lighter bars the better the positioning and the movement will be. Try to work on your shoulder mobility and after a few weeks it will be better and better. Important info: train with the length of the bar, which is the main goal bar.

@William James You could do a hell of a lot worse than to listen to this guy. This thread is basically a bunch of world class benders cheering each other and everyone else on. It’s one thing I love about this craft - the best in the world will always help you.

I’ve got shoulders like old rusty gears but I’ve found much better flexibility doing face pulls and pullaparts, both with resistance bands. I’ve also got a set of three 3/4” polycarbonate rods at 7”, 8”, and 9” that I use to warm up by wrapping them with pads and winding up to hit them. The warmup I’m settled on for now is a superset of 10 black band face pulls, 5 red band pullaparts, and 3-5 hits on a polycarb bar starting at 7 and increasing through three rounds. Then I swing some clubs and I’m ready to go. The rod came from Amazon and I cut it down with bolt cutters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good session for me today. Two reds in BBWs and then a double wrapped 1/4x5 square that isn’t finished. It’s a bit off center like most of my bends and at this length it was just too much to overcome on the crush, but this bar will fall soon. 

2D309527-798F-42A4-84D8-8F846FE5DB5A.jpeg

8F9FCBFE-090C-499F-949D-0AF87195572F.jpeg

• Like 3

Today's bending session was so-so, with one surprising exception. Snapped one of these things at the threads in the kink: https://www.mcmaster.com/90128a577
Would not recommend bending them if you don't like punching/scaring yourself.

• Like 5

Besides certing the Red if this lockdown ever ends, I’ve wanted to do the Hexabastard for a while. It’s a longer term project. 

• Like 3

Looks like @Tom Flesher and I had the same idea for bends this week!

• Like 5

@Squeezus I still owe you some bars, just haven't been getting out at all. Looks like you could use some 5/16 and up drill rod right about now.

First decent bending session in a while for me, triceps starting to feel better but I can't quite do a red nail in imps at the moment, I'll get back there soon.

• Like 4

@wobbler Glad you're feeling better man. Whatever you got that you can spare is cool with me. Or if you have any bars that you want a second opinion on, I can do that.

• Like 2

Not exactly a poem yet, but I bent my first 60d nail today. 

• Like 5

Every poem has to be started. So, well done! We are looking for more steel that has to be bend!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a couple of limericks here. Today was unbraced bending, capping with three Reds in IMPs (all under a minute, no electrical tape on my finger but with rubber bands). Tuesday I did some snapping (a 12” spike and four oval nails).

I hate to say this out loud but I think I’ve finally grown back all the skin on my left index finger. I first tore it up in summer 2018 (!) and it took a while to look complete again, but then I basically sliced the callus off in May of 2019 doing short square CRS. I lost a lot of progress trying to get it to heal. Since about the beginning of this year I’ve been much more diligent about electrical tape over the wound while bending and about dialing in my technique to keep my fingers on the wrap as much as possible (also maximizes my leverage).

Taking better care of my skin, paying more attention to my shoulder mobility using clubs/bands and @wobbler‘s suggestion of using battlefield wraps to bridge some of my gaps have helped me get past some barriers that had been really frustrating me.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

I’ve been much more diligent about electrical tape over the wound while bending

I found hockey tape to be the best.  Same protection but not as slick.

• Like 1

That's a huge Bend! The off center makes this even more impressive. Is this bolt from David Horne? Looks so, which rating has it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Horrido said:

That's a huge Bend! The off center makes this even more impressive. Is this bolt from David Horne? Looks so, which rating has it?

Yes its fron David Horne. Its calibrated at 514 pounds at 6" long.

• Like 1

OK, that's 233kg at 6". In his calibration this is like a 6" red nail.

How was the bend and in which pads?

Well done, for sure!

• Like 1