Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

Finally got the package! 😃

73724E88-F38E-4D1D-9F8A-32036B6B4465.thumb.jpeg.9b0ac38daf71ef1c8c84b3488839b4e6.jpeg4142C85B-595B-4911-93DA-8AA1CE9C94E9.thumb.jpeg.a72d979adb5a3bc7195a2800342a7d01.jpeg0AE828B1-3404-4798-844F-3BA17320F15C.thumb.jpeg.0fc5c4b7b9a3ba1ad40cba65832a21ec.jpegF0012F81-066B-41BE-8ED8-0CE17DD87195.thumb.jpeg.4b7e7fba66315ed51f1a214982cc1002.jpeg5BE674C2-4ED3-43F0-AA86-C80721A4E654.thumb.jpeg.54057959bf2a77469466daab896ec51c.jpeg

Lots of SUPER bad bars in this box! I couldn’t help myself... knowing I’ve never bent a 12.9 class, I tried one straight out of the package anyways.. to no avail! 🤪

this is a bend I’d like to get one day. I’m still not in top form, but the best I’ve ever done on a 12.9 is a decent smile. Today was barely a wobble!

love the stickers as well Jan! Already put a set on the garage fridge!

also, for those paying attention, this package was hell getting to me! Jan had to send it TWICE because the post office (or delivery man rather) in my one horse town dropped the ball on multiple counts, and then sent it back to Germany. A bit of a long story, but the delivery driver did indeed end up losing his job. But not just due to this package.. he apparently not only had multiple incidences of the same phenomenon on his route, but also many packages that never showed up at all throughout the neighborhood. So he was a bit of a reoccurring problem.

anyways, much thanks Jan! Got some serious steel to play with here! 

• Like 7

Glad that it finally arrived! And no problem, anytime Tommy!

The CRS Bars are also very hard. The 9mm is really a beast for "just" a 9mm bar. And the 10mm bar is in the range from a Iron Grip 250kg Bar (highest bend in the past from the cert list - of course from Alex).

Hope to see them bend by you! And I am sure that this will happen!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Squeezus said:

One thing that I learned from watching @Stanley sallee was how to wrap IMPs. I copied his technique and noticed it made the pads much tighter and stiffer.

1. Make marks on the nail so you know the center of the nail and how deep you want the nail into the pads.
  2. Lay the nail so that it goes across the full length of the pad. When you roll up the pad you should be able to see the end of the nail. This will allow you to wrap extremely tightly.
  3. Put on bands.
  4. Pull the nail out of the wrap until you can see your depth mark.
  5. Repeat the same technique on the other side of the nail.

Give it a try and see if it makes a difference for you.

Thanks Gil! I will try that next DO session.

I drenched my IMPs in chalk yesterday, that made such a differens. I have read it before, but I didnt think it would be like night and day.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 9:34 AM, wobbler said:

Same on BBW, I got some from FBBC not too long ago (within the last couple years.) They let you know what imp bends are within reach.

I just got a pair from FBBC today and I’m looking forward to breaking them in

• Like 1

Got in a bending session tonight. Bent my first Bastard. Tried a Shiny and got a reality check. IronMind is supposed to be finding me a referee for my Red cert, but who knows when that will be with all this COVID-19 mess.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Got in a bending session tonight. Bent my first Bastard. Tried a Shiny and got a reality check. IronMind is supposed to be finding me a referee for my Red cert, but who knows when that will be with all this COVID-19 mess.

You can get the Iron Tamer, Dave W, to be your ref.

• Like 1

First time I have done a braced bend with a bar as short as this one. 

• Like 4

Hey all,

Hope everyone’s staying safe and healthy. 
Hope no one minds me posting here! I’ve read most of the forum back to back at this point and this seemed like a good active thread to say say hi and thanks for all the information you’ve all put out - learned a lot reading everyone’s experiences and watching your videos

I’m new to bending but with the gym closures and self isolation/work from home, powerlifting has been put on the back burner and I’m focusing on bending.

My main aim this quarantine was to get the yellow nail, but I managed it yesterday (week 3) I’m working on snapping completed nails to get some more volume and conditioning and I’ll attempt the blue in a few weeks.

Stay safe!

• Like 7

I figured I’d sneak in here while the topic is quiet so as not to interrupt. 

i nailed two big-for-me bends today, both in double wraps (DHWOG suedes over IMPs) - the Big Bastard and the Huge Bastard (6.5” and 6” 5/16 CRS). Last week I failed on the Huge so it was good to get these both done. I have video of both but the videos aren’t cert quality (one quit on me after I finished the bar but before I measured the 2” finish and in the other I didn’t shake out the IMPs at the end). Still, I’m happy with these. (Photo includes a 60D and a grade 5 I did to warm up)

92D2B8D6-EB4F-44B0-A616-9FA58B036332.jpeg

• Like 7

These are good bends Tom! Nice to see and congrats on your PR's. It's always good to see such bends going down!

• Like 2

On 3/29/2020 at 5:41 PM, William James said:

Hey all,

Hope everyone’s staying safe and healthy. 
Hope no one minds me posting here! I’ve read most of the forum back to back at this point and this seemed like a good active thread to say say hi and thanks for all the information you’ve all put out - learned a lot reading everyone’s experiences and watching your videos

I’m new to bending but with the gym closures and self isolation/work from home, powerlifting has been put on the back burner and I’m focusing on bending.

My main aim this quarantine was to get the yellow nail, but I managed it yesterday (week 3) I’m working on snapping completed nails to get some more volume and conditioning and I’ll attempt the blue in a few weeks.

Stay safe!

Great to hear you are bending. If you need any help with technique, etc just ask and you will get lots of help. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Great to hear you are bending. If you need any help with technique, etc just ask and you will get lots of help. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks Don, appreciate that! 

22 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

i nailed two big-for-me bends today, both in double wraps (DHWOG suedes over IMPs) - the Big Bastard and the Huge Bastard (6.5” and 6” 5/16 CRS). Last week I failed on the Huge so it was good to get these both done. I have video of both but the videos aren’t cert quality (one quit on me after I finished the bar but before I measured the 2” finish and in the other I didn’t shake out the IMPs at the end). Still, I’m happy with these. (Photo includes a 60D and a grade 5 I did to warm up)

Nice work Tom!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, Tom Flesher said:

Great job on the bends Tom!  Keep killing it!

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

@William James glad to have you on board! How’s the snapping going? 

It’s going! Pretty satisfying workout, but (trying) to take it slow and plan to overload with stronger bars if I feel good. At the moment feels like the initial kink (using DO) is my weakest point. Working on cheat kinking bars to lesser degrees to try strengthen my start. 

I just noticed your signature so I’ll be incorporating holding the hit longer when I try harder bends

• Like 1

If you post a video we’d be happy to make sure your form is on point, but yeah, the kink can be tough to get a handle on. Glad you found this place. 

• Thanks 1

91365994_2600888923565918_47366165382631

Pic is of a 8x117mm HRS that I started DO, and finnished braced.

• Like 3

https://youtu.be/a0kSeoRxxp8

Yesterday I snapped 1/4 x 7” CRS which took the better part of 40 minutes... 
Today I worked on some full bends - took a video of DO yellow nail bend. Let me know if you have any comments on technique! 

• Like 5

I bent some junk today. Nothing wild, but I decided to clear out some of my random drill rod after my harder bends. The video is a 70D. 

Anybody ever run into non-spiral Reds that are significantly harder than other non-spiral Reds?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, William James said:

https://youtu.be/a0kSeoRxxp8

Yesterday I snapped 1/4 x 7” CRS which took the better part of 40 minutes... 
Today I worked on some full bends - took a video of DO yellow nail bend. Let me know if you have any comments on technique! 

Nice job on a quick and fast bend. I think you can make some technique tweaks to really help you. Watch Gil’s video right above this and compare his arm movement to yours. Your arms kind of drop straight down. Very common forvbeginners, called chicken winging. You don’t have as much power as when you keep your elbows up and drive them together using a lot of power from your back. It’s great to video your bends and compare them to other benders. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Nice job on a quick and fast bend. I think you can make some technique tweaks to really help you. Watch Gil’s video right above this and compare his arm movement to yours. Your arms kind of drop straight down. Very common forvbeginners, called chicken winging. You don’t have as much power as when you keep your elbows up and drive them together using a lot of power from your back. It’s great to video your bends and compare them to other benders. Keep up the good work.

Don, thank you for this. This is very helpful, I see what you mean about my arms dropping - I’ll be sure to keep this in mind! 

• Like 2

Here is my bend from yesterday....
Had this little (bad word filter)er on the ToDo list for a while but never tried it. Yesterday I gave it a go after my normal bending Training and this is the result.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Horrido said:

Had this little (bad word filter)er on the ToDo list for a while but never tried it. Yesterday I gave it a go after my normal bending Training and this is the result.

VERY impressive bend Jan! Great fight and excellent pain tolerance!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t done a whole lot of braced bending recently (actually had kind of an embarrassing fail on a bar that used to be very reasonable for me today - gotta relearn those leverages) but I’m using the lockdown to progress toward some goals of mine. I’m going to chase Goliath again. In the mean time, here’s a SCF Polo 1 (I hit a Diamond Classic 1 afterward, to no effect) and a 5/8x27 HRS bar. It’s the first time I’ve gotten a Polo 1 past about 45 degrees  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Horrido said:

Beast of a bend that hurt like hell, I am sure! Congrats!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1