Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

4cm (1.57") is not quite far enough on the bar for imps, in my experience.

I'd suggest putting whatever thicker wraps you use further on the bar to start getting more used to that position. Your ability to kink will take a hit at first, but start with some easier bars to get used to it. Once it clicks, you'll be in much better shape for imps.

I go 2" on, and then my index fingers are on the bar (not the wraps) so I actually have a lot of my hand on the bar. More upper back than chest strength kinking like that, then the second hit you start in more with chest pressure.

I don't have the horsepower to go full blast chest on the kink (unless it's thicker wraps 1.5" or less on the bar, but that just does not translate to imps.) Took me a while to figure that out.

• Like 2

we are bending right now 

Heres my first try at S bend Reverse unbraced on a red nail 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

we are bending right now 

Heres my first try at S bend Reverse unbraced on a red nail 

Very bad ass Adam!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not the cleanest bend, but I made pretty short work of it. I think you can see what I was talking about on the kink, my hands are buried in my chest actually pulling in at the start.

• Like 7

Bend from today.

This Bolt is the european analogue to Grade 2 Bolt.

Don't want to bend today because I have to fight with a flu these days but after some presses and armwrestling stuff I saw this bolt left and I haven't done this in IMP's till now so I gave it a go.

In the next weeks if I have a good day I will try CRS 10mm x 6,5" in doubles and 7" in BBW. Will see how it works, but this are hard bends for me.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Horrido said:

Bend from today.

Don't want to bend today because I have to fight with a flu these days but after some presses and armwrestling stuff I saw this bolt left and I haven't done this in IMP's till now so I gave it a go.

In the next weeks if I have a good day I will try CRS 10mm x 6,5" in doubles and 7" in BBW. Will see how it works, but this are hard bends for me.

Very strong bending, as always Jan! Keep destroying the steel!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Horrido said:

Bend from today.

Killer bend Jan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question. For red destruction. Would it be more productive to work drill thats just under the diameter? 

Ive said it a thousand times. I can do on a fairly consistent basis just about everything under a red DU. Just not the red. With the exception of that one spiral i managed. I really havent tried alot of M or 16/64. Looking for that edge without constantly buying a ton of shit thats too easy. 

Edited by KapMan

42 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Question. For red destruction. Would it be more productive to work drill thats just under the diameter? 

Ive said it a thousand times. I can do on a fairly consistent basis just about everything under a red DU. Just not the red. With the exception of that one spiral i managed. I really havent tried alot of M or 16/64. Looking for that edge with constantly buying a ton of shit thats too easy. 

If you want to buy drill rod that is a step below red nails, I recommend getting 3 ft lengths of 19/64 diameter and cutting them down to 7" lengths. If I recall correctly, these are letter M  from most vendors. Just below that would be 9/32 diameter which should be  letters J,K and L. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FrankD said:

If you want to buy drill rod that is a step below red nails, I recommend getting 3 ft lengths of 19/64 diameter and cutting them down to 7" lengths. If I recall correctly, these are letter M  from most vendors. Just below that would be 9/32 diameter which should be  letters J,K and L. 

Say on die supplies(website) that M is .2950 and 19/64 is .2960 then N is .3020 and 5/16 is around .3125

Interesting 

• Like 1

Yes on the drill rod. Even after you can consistently bend a certain size bar, drill rod seems to move slow compared to CRS so it makes for a good warmup, you still have to concentrate on technique.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Martin Kotte, the GERMAN UNDERGROUND BENDING MACHINE is back. Maybe he never was away...

From a couple of weeks back:

A BKOAB.

And from last Friday:

A HKOAB and a Grand Duke:

He also bent a 10mm x 215 CRS in singles....

Edited by camz
  • Like 6

As said in private many times before: Great bending.

There is more to come from us in summer when we all come together...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Horrido said:

As said in private many times before: Great bending.

There is more to come from us in summer when we all come together...

Not sure, if I can bend something hard DO in the near future. Had my first 3 DO sessions now since 2017 and it's a struggle. Could cert the Red, but it does not feel comfortable. 😕

Did some braced bends last Friday however...

10x40mm x 70cm (3/8"x1.5" x 27.6") 
10x35mm x 60cm (3/8"x 1 3/8" x 23.6")

These are not in my Top5 braced bends, but two PRs and the last one was pretty painful, so there is more to come. 

1824221734_20200308_102055(1).thumb.jpg.6b90698fb5427c13b6f8adc884c8ab55.jpg

• Like 5

Back to bending since the Arnold was cancelled.

I warmed up with some assorted drill rod (0.25" & 0.265"), bolts (G8), and nails (60d and very hard 60d galv) and then decided to take a swing at a red nail (first vid) under cert conditions (single IMPs, no rubber bands, <60s). I was pleased with the result.

I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to finish a mutant G2 that ate my lunch in my last session and then go after a 70d nail (second vid) from @Stanley sallee. Successes.

Might be time to email IronMind.

• Like 8

I just submitted a request to IronMind.

As an aside, I have noticed that a lot of people don't like using IMPs. If you are using something else, what is it and where do you get it? I have some old leathers that someone gifted to me, but they seem really slippery and floppy and hurt my hands a lot when I use them compared to the IMPs.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

I just submitted a request to IronMind.

As an aside, I have noticed that a lot of people don't like using IMPs. If you are using something else, what is it and where do you get it? I have some old leathers that someone gifted to me, but they seem really slippery and floppy and hurt my hands a lot when I use them compared to the IMPs.

I love BB wraps. The only place I know to get them new still is EJ Livesey. Hit him up and grab a set. You’ll love them.

• Like 1

I like the Iron Grip Pads (similar to BBW) but they were only available in the past from the Iron Grip Guys. So now the BBW'S are the best choice.

For doubles the suedes from David Horne or own leather pads are my choice.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 10:45 AM, Tommy J. said:

I love BB wraps. The only place I know to get them new still is EJ Livesey. Hit him up and grab a set. You’ll love them.

They are really nice to bend horse shoes in too.  

• Like 1

Same on BBW, I got some from FBBC not too long ago (within the last couple years.) They let you know what imp bends are within reach.

• Like 1

Mere mortal here. I don’t always like to wade into this thread but I had a short but pretty good session this morning in between squats and the first King Kong training session of the year (my god, is it spring already?)

60D to warm up, then two Bastards, double wrapped (IMPs and David Horne suedes on top). I’d planned to get a Bastard to my sticking point around 90 degrees, fight with it a while, and then finish off with some grade 5s, but the first Bastard went down under 2 minutes and I decided to go for the second one. All in all pretty happy with this even though they’re double wrapped and not on film.

(featuring special guest stars Nose Tork and black electrician’s tape)

BB0289B3-DCB0-4501-A093-B2845710E258.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice work @Tom Flesher

The good 3M electrical tape is worth the money here. I use the cheap stuff to actually tape wires :)

• Like 1

One step closer! There is hope for cert this year :D

There is a small kink, you can barely see it. But I think a fresh one would have felt the same. 

I'm feeling very positive right now. I bet I can cut the time alot when I "understand" the IMPs better.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Slippery Pete said:

I'm feeling very positive right now. I bet I can cut the time alot when I "understand" the IMPs better.

One thing that I learned from watching @Stanley sallee was how to wrap IMPs. I copied his technique and noticed it made the pads much tighter and stiffer.

1. Make marks on the nail so you know the center of the nail and how deep you want the nail into the pads.
  2. Lay the nail so that it goes across the full length of the pad. When you roll up the pad you should be able to see the end of the nail. This will allow you to wrap extremely tightly.
  3. Put on bands.
  4. Pull the nail out of the wrap until you can see your depth mark.
  5. Repeat the same technique on the other side of the nail.

Give it a try and see if it makes a difference for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2