Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Where is that stainless stock from?

Maskindelen.

I did bend a stainless steel bar from GBI a couple of days ago. GBI was easier.

Stainless is good because when you get stuck, the more failed attempts the harder the bar gets. So after you finish that bar, you should be able to blow through another one start to finish.

I have some 9/32x6.5 fbbc stainless bars that I swear are harder than red nails when they get stuck anywhere past 120*. Love/hate those things.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

Maskindelen.

I did bend a stainless steel bar from GBI a couple of days ago. GBI was easier.

Basically everything is easier than maskindelen by a significant margin. To put a hurt on a bar like that is really good!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

My first time bending a red nail reverse!

Great job, congrats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

My first time bending a red nail reverse!

Great bend Tommy.  I remember that feeling well.  Completed the red nail IEW for me.  November 6, 2011.  Jeebus I'm old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8.2.20 team practice in Fort Worth 

Tanner with a Grade 8 1/4” x 6” reverse 

Tanner with Red nail reverse his first ever 

Tommy Jennings first Red reverse 

Here I am Red DU & Red Reverse 

A bunch of perfectly useful horseshoes trashed. I think Tommy was itching to DO some big steel but he has a PL meet in 7 days and Papa Milfeld called thumbs down on that. 

• Like 9

I finally bent 8mm square HRS. 

I have only tried 200mm once before, and that time I could not get in to position. This time it was a piece of cake. :)

Will cut 190 and 185mm for next session.

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Like 4

Texas Crew is on the roll, as always and in sweden is steel killed every week.

It´s great to see so much bends these days. For a few months there were only a handfull bends and now the world has a lot guys in the steel game!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Having some fun with horseshoes.
First shoe is a Kerckhaert SSP 10x22 size 4 shoe bent in single IMP's.
Second is a tiny DF 22x8 size 00 bent in 1.25 leather wraps.
All bends finished with legpad, I think I can finish the bend without a legpad but
the last 2-3 hit will be very painfull and completly destroy my leg, it is not worth it.

• Like 4

post record breaker bending at my house 

Steven Anderson did his first reverse bends and a few braces bends. Tanner did some braces up spikes and a few red nails up too. 

I did a few reds. Here’s a DU & Rv bend between our Inch bell carries. 

• Like 6

Yesterday was my second and last attempt for the Steel Shredder Contest 6 from David Horne.

Contest goes till February 29th but this was my last bend because 260kg is the highest bar and the top guys only get one bar of this. Not the best decisions for a contest. The Rankings will be with a few sconds difference on this bar. My attempt will not be in the top three because braced is also allowed, but that´s fine for me. I bend it double overhand with principle ;)

Here it is:

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Horrido said:

Yesterday was my second and last attempt for the Steel Shredder Contest 6 from David Horne.

Contest goes till February 29th but this was my last bend because 260kg is the highest bar and the top guys only get one bar of this. Not the best decisions for a contest. The Rankings will be with a few sconds difference on this bar. My attempt will not be in the top three because braced is also allowed, but that´s fine for me. I bend it double overhand with principle ;)

Here it is:

Very strong bending Jan, especially all DO! Great job. I will probably do mine next week.

• Like 1

Thanks Don. You will be faster for sure! All the best for your bend next week. Kill it for the number one spot on the list!

8 hours ago, Horrido said:

Here it is:

Killer bend Jan!

• Like 1

Quick update for everyone. Jan sent me some steel not long ago, that apparently the post office in my 1 horse town can’t seem to locate. I don’t know how this is possible considering the post office where I live is only about 800 square feet of space, and has only 3 delivery men. It’s actually infuriating at this point!

that said, please don’t let my lack of posting here offend you! I haven’t abandoned bending again. Just stuck in limbo waiting for fresh steel to arrive. And keeping myself occupied with the bench press in the meantime.

• Like 2

Did some clean-and-press and Pendlay rows with my axle and then bent some stuff: 

1/4x6 grade 5

1/2x18 HRS 

Four oval nails

Bastard (DHWOG suedes over IMPs)

all in all a pretty good session for me

7897C0C6-3603-4C12-AD0C-3E9A3F3673F4.jpeg

• Like 6

More reverse bending work in single IMP's...

A little more HP and about 10 degrees more until I get that Red Nail in single IMP's. Also got a couple 1/4" FBBC square bends in for good measure. Not terrible progress for about a solid week of my attention.

IMG_20200220_203310.jpg

• Like 4

PR back to back :)

I doing as much IMP-bending as I can. But it does not appeal to me at all.

I can budge a Red nail a little bit. I bend 120kg bar from GBI with no problems. So I guess if I give it some time I will get there. But its frustrating to suck this badly with IMPs, and its so awkward for me.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Horrido said:

Keep going. It's only a matter of time. The red will be yours soon. If you can kink it, it's yours for sure!

Thank you for the encouragement Jan!

• Like 1

Get the imps absolutely as tight/stiff as possible. Use some extra chalk in between every fold, get a hex or square bar and twist them tight, then slip on to a red nail (you have to knock the edges off the red nail with a file first, I do this anyway to help the wraps last longer.)

Edit: how far onto the bar do you put your wraps? At 2" the main difference is pain tolerance. Less than 2" and you notice the leverage of thicker wraps more on the kink. Some people do OK with imps 1.5" or less on the bar, but it never worked for me.

Edited by wobbler
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Get the imps absolutely as tight/stiff as possible. Use some extra chalk in between every fold, get a hex or square bar and twist them tight, then slip on to a red nail (you have to knock the edges off the red nail with a file first, I do this anyway to help the wraps last longer.)

That is brilliant 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:45 PM, wobbler said:

Edit: how far onto the bar do you put your wraps? At 2" the main difference is pain tolerance. Less than 2" and you notice the leverage of thicker wraps more on the kink. Some people do OK with imps 1.5" or less on the bar, but it never worked for me.

Great advice! 

When I bend in suede I put the wraps 3.3-3.5cm into the bar. In IMPs I put them 4cm into the bar. Biggest problem for me seems to be the pain tolerance.