Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

Did a little testing with my prototype rating rig. Functionally, things are falling into place and ratings are very fast, easy and repeatable. Just have to do some back end math to make the ratings make more sense and make some minor tweaks to the rig. Also have all the parts for my advanced Krahling rating rig, but assembly will be a little more time consuming because of all the moving parts. Stay tuned.

BAAB149D-2372-4510-93DE-D178E9F003A6.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Squeezus said:

Did a little testing with my prototype rating rig. Functionally, things are falling into place and ratings are very fast, easy and repeatable. Just have to do some back end math to make the ratings make more sense and make some minor tweaks to the rig. Also have all the parts for my advanced Krahling rating rig, but assembly will be a little more time consuming because of all the moving parts. Stay tuned.

BAAB149D-2372-4510-93DE-D178E9F003A6.jpeg

Looks like they're all bent off center??

31 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Looks like they're all bent off center??

They are, my system doesn’t care how long the test bar is or where you bend it. The rating will be a function of the torque and how long the bar you plan to bend is.

Nice. Depends on your setup, but leverage based I expect the bolt heads might skew things a bit?

The formula I've used to estimate progression (that matches very closely with sample ratings for different size bars, and "feel" for myself DO) is 50% cross sectional area and 50% moment of inertia. This puts a red nail at 2x a yellow nail, and seems to fit well for different shapes too (square is about 1.5x round, hex is about 1.15x round). 

Edited by wobbler
Typo

Last night’s graveyard. I decided a few weeks back that I wanted to bend all three types of 1/4” x 6” G8s that I have in the same session. Partly for cool-factor, and partly to see how they compared to on another since www.gripratings.com has one stamp rated at 460 and the other at 490. That said, these all felt pretty close with the black one being just a little harder on the kink.

Top row is the 1/4” CRS that I warmed up with. 6” down to 4” in half inch increments. Bottom unbent piece is a 3.5” bar that I didn’t dare try.

All bent DO with IMPs.

D9F93818-BF0F-42E1-87A3-2F462A2FB155.jpeg

13E0E885-4E5B-474C-9164-0F18DFB581B9.jpeg

Edited by Squeezus
grammar
  • Like 4

Yesterday was a light training day with several bars.

After that I wanted to try a gold nail, because of the gold nail talk in the past and that Tommy mentioned that this bar is not a big deal in the high level area when you are familiar with the length. So, first I am not familiar with the length. I only tested this bend once in the last two years and couldn't bring the force to the bar because of the length. I am an absolutely 7" bender.

Yesterday I prekinked one to 30° and then I give it a go in doubles. Took around 01:45 and was really not that hard. Had a really harder expection. Here are to pics:

293739083_IMG_20200129_2014262.thumb.jpg.027b63c93607625e6dc9a1501af9bee1.jpg

1365297872_IMG_20200129_2014493.thumb.jpg.c7e0136f63f98e346d26a8ebc864ecb6.jpg

So if you can deal with the length this is a doable bend!

• Like 9

Nice job Jan! You can use some lighter stock to acclimate to the length and then go for it soon! You have the strength.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Horrido said:

Yesterday was a light training day with several bars.

After that I wanted to try a gold nail, because of the gold nail talk in the past and that Tommy mentioned that this bar is not a big deal in the high level area when you are familiar with the length. So, first I am not familiar with the length. I only tested this bend once in the last two years and couldn't bring the force to the bar because of the length. I am an absolutely 7" bender.

Yesterday I prekinked one to 30° and then I give it a go in doubles. Took around 01:45 and was really not that hard. Had a really harder expection. Here are to pics:

293739083_IMG_20200129_2014262.thumb.jpg.027b63c93607625e6dc9a1501af9bee1.jpg

1365297872_IMG_20200129_2014493.thumb.jpg.c7e0136f63f98e346d26a8ebc864ecb6.jpg

So if you can deal with the length this is a doable bend!

You will get it! Keep practicing!

i can say this also, the gold nail is actually MORE difficult to get in position for the kink in double wraps than it is singles. Obviously singles will require more pain tolerance, etc. but doubles make it very hard to get the bar in position.

for you, flexibility flexibility, and more flexibility will get it done. The strength is already there.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I think I will give this project a go in the future, but first I have to do some big bends in the 7" range.
But flexibility work will be done for sure.

• Like 2

The boneyard today, all in David Horne suedes. Two 60Ds reverse, 5/8x27, and a mini snapping medley - six inch nail lying on my back, four oval nails, and 3/8x12. The medley time wasn’t where I’m hoping it’ll be in May.

B5E09EF1-89E8-4FBE-8B6C-9BCA2B01B7EB.jpeg

• Like 4

On 1/31/2020 at 1:23 AM, Horrido said:

Thanks guys. I think I will give this project a go in the future, but first I have to do some big bends in the 7" range.
But flexibility work will be done for sure.

What do you have planned for shoulder mobility? I’ve been using a 3/4x8” polycarbonate rod with wraps on the end to warm up with and it feels like it’s helping. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

What do you have planned for shoulder mobility? I’ve been using a 3/4x8” polycarbonate rod with wraps on the end to warm up with and it feels like it’s helping. 

The same things I did in the past who helped a lot for my shoulder mobility and health. Now I have to do it regulary again. My mobility at the moment is very fine for the 7" or 7,5" stuff, but the more the better from it.

This is:

Facepulls, Pull Aparts, Shoulder Dislocations, Mace Swings.

That's it. But the Mace Swings are a game changer for an overall great shoulder in my opinion. I do them with a sledge hammer and one handed (5 or 7kg).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Horrido said:

The same things I did in the past who helped a lot for my shoulder mobility and health. Now I have to do it regulary again. My mobility at the moment is very fine for the 7" or 7,5" stuff, but the more the better from it.

This is:

Facepulls, Pull Aparts, Shoulder Dislocations, Mace Swings.

That's it. But the Mace Swings are a game changer for an overall great shoulder in my opinion. I do them with a sledge hammer and one handed (5 or 7kg).

Mace swings and Indian clubs are so good to keep your joints healthy. I think very important to keep you from getting hurt when bending a lot.

• Like 3

A few days ago I tried out some stainless steel, 8x180mm.

I have tried these bars a couple of times before. But this is the first time I got movement worth mentioning. 

I really want this bend soon!!

20200202_171102.jpg

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Slippery Pete said:

I have tried these bars a couple of times before. But this is the first time I got movement worth mentioning. 

20200202_171102.jpg

Great job! Strong work.

• Like 1

Last night I finally bent a red nail! I posted about it here: 

Of special note was the 5/16" x 7" G2 bolt that I was supposed to do in my warmup. It is truly a testament to how widely those bolts can vary in difficulty, even amongst the same headstamp. That bolt was considerably harder than the Red Nail and it must have had a hard spot or something in it because it bent way off center even with sharpie marks to help me wrap evenly. I have bent plenty of them beforehand and rated them at around 390 using my Krahling rig (vs 430ish for a Red Nail) and about 10% easier than a red using my prototype rig.

image.png.71298148cc7ce062c630c8ba6b7ab537.png

• Like 4

The first red is always a special one. Congrats to be on this level now. The cert is right around the corner!

The G2 is extrem off center which makes it extrem hard to finish with these positions. But things happen, next time everything goes well.

Small news from me....

Got a package from @Tommy J. with big G8 bolts and a pair of BBW. Very happy about this. The steel bending community is a great one.

Will try one of these in summer. I don't go to hard at the moment because I want to peak a little for summer where we have a small bending meeting here in my hut and I got too many fails on these bolts in the past. But this will go down soon!

IMG_20200207_052435.thumb.jpg.955680996f5556f5fbe8703ad5ceac92.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Horrido said:

The first red is always a special one. Congrats to be on this level now. The cert is right around the corner!

The G2 is extrem off center which makes it extrem hard to finish with these positions. But things happen, next time everything goes well.

Small news from me....

Got a package from @Tommy J. with big G8 bolts and a pair of BBW. Very happy about this. The steel bending community is a great one.

Will try one of these in summer. I don't go to hard at the moment because I want to peak a little for summer where we have a small bending meeting here in my hut and I got too many fails on these bolts in the past. But this will go down soon!

IMG_20200207_052435.thumb.jpg.955680996f5556f5fbe8703ad5ceac92.jpg

Dang those got there fast!

those wraps have some sentimental value.. I bent a couple of those exact G8’s in those exact wraps. I figured it would be cool to send you a broken in set.

enjoy those G8’s. They are FBBC stock. So when you bend them it will count as certification.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thats great! The wraps with the sentimental value are a big honour for me. So thanks again and I will raise my beer today to you Tommy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Horrido said:

Thats great! The wraps with the sentimental value are a big honour for me. So thanks again and I will raise my beer today to you Tommy!

Cheers!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Horrido said:

I also thought it was appropriate to send them considering you are an under 200lb bender nearing the big G8. Same wraps, same steel, and also under 200lbs! You will be the only other guy that size to do the same bend. I think it’s really cool!

• Like 2

Two horseshoe bends from todays training. First one is a Kreckhaert SSP 22x10 size 3 bend, I finished the bend under a minute.
Second one is a tough shoe, Kerckhaert DF 22x10 size 1 bend. I made the whole bend under the certification requirement, but after
the bend when I re-watched the video, I saw the shoe number wasn't clearly wisible. Next week I'll try again.

Bend starts around 2:50

Bend starts around 4:00

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, zs242 said:

Two horseshoe bends from todays training. First one is a Kreckhaert SSP 22x10 size 3 bend, I finished the bend under a minute.
Second one is a tough shoe, Kerckhaert DF 22x10 size 1 bend. I made the whole bend under the certification requirement, but after
the bend when I re-watched the video, I saw the shoe number wasn't clearly wisible. Next week I'll try again.

Bend starts around 2:50

Bend starts around 4:00

Crazy strong!

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 5:19 PM, Slippery Pete said:

20200202_171102.jpg

Where is that stainless stock from?

• Like 1