Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

On 1/22/2020 at 6:16 AM, Donc101 said:

I think the designs are great! I bought 2 shirts and a coffee cup. Personal favorite is the old school fears of strength one. Great job!

Agreed! All badass gear!

• Like 3

Some crazy strong benders making a comeback it looks like.  This will be a fun thread to follow.  It got me motivated enough I bent the Pink Nail yesterday Reverse in triple leathers :).

• Like 2

I did a little steel poetry last night. Put the torch to a 1/4" x 7" Grade 8. Everything felt less awkward, which feels like a good improvement.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Squeezus said:

I did a little steel poetry last night. Put the torch to a 1/4" x 7" Grade 8. Everything felt less awkward, which feels like a good improvement.

Nice bending Gil!  Have you tried the Red yet?  I'm interested to see what you're able to do with some time and reps in.

• Like 1

Yep, nice session Gil!

Looking forward to your red nail try. I think it will go down. Only thing is the kink to push through.

Thanks guys!

@Buccos1 a month or so ago I tried a hit on a red and put a wobble in it and a little less than two weeks ago, @Stanley sallee pre-kinked a red for me and I was able to finish it without much problem. As @Horrido says, getting through the kink is the toughest part for me. After that, I can get through the crush pretty easily.

• Like 3

Thanks guys!

@Buccos1 a month or so ago I tried a hit on a red and put a wobble in it and a little less than two weeks ago, @Stanley sallee pre-kinked a red for me and I was able to finish it without much problem. As @Horrido says, getting through the kink is the toughest part for me. After that, I can get through the crush pretty easily.

Have you tried to kink it reverse?

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Have you tried to kink it reverse?

Nope. I'm pretty strong reverse, so I may just give that a try!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Nope. I'm pretty strong reverse, so I may just give that a try!

Do it. If you can do enough damage to it you should be able to bend the red in no time.

• Like 1

Once I bent a spiral red in BBW, it really helped mentally, and I think sped up progress on getting them done in imps. I never really bent much in doubles, no point because I get stuck on the crush anyway. But BBW give you enough of an advantage over imps to get past a hard kink.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wobbler said:

Once I bent a spiral red in BBW, it really helped mentally, and I think sped up progress on getting them done in imps. I never really bent much in doubles, no point because I get stuck on the crush anyway. But BBW give you enough of an advantage over imps to get past a hard kink.

Word

11 hours ago, wobbler said:

Word

I might order some drill as my restart point. I go back and forth. Im still not bothering with DO. But its really cool to see this bending renaissance on the board. There was only don and danny. And the occasional Pitt. 

Lots of instagram activity from benders when I dropped off and I was really enjoying the big bends coming from steel shredders. 

Hopefully with this new found motivation we can update information or what not. By that I mean a more standardized list of progression, tips, tricks and words of wisdom. 

Think the most confusing part for me was progression. And self identifying problems. And because I was strictly DU  there was/is no help. Despite big stock being bent regularly DU. 

49 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I might order some drill as my restart point. I go back and forth. Im still not bothering with DO. But its really cool to see this bending renaissance on the board. There was only don and danny. And the occasional Pitt. 

Lots of instagram activity from benders when I dropped off and I was really enjoying the big bends coming from steel shredders. 

Hopefully with this new found motivation we can update information or what not. By that I mean a more standardized list of progression, tips, tricks and words of wisdom. 

Think the most confusing part for me was progression. And self identifying problems. And because I was strictly DU  there was/is no help. Despite big stock being bent regularly DU. 

I can't help you with DU, but I don't think having a ton of steps of drill rod between 1/4 and 5/16 is really necessary in hindsight. I have .25, .265, .271, .277, .281, .290, .297, etc and honestly, depending on the batch, they vary enough that they overlap. I think if I really needed to, I could have accomplished the same thing bending just 1/4 G5s and 5/16 G2s or maybe having .271 and .290 drill rod and none of the others.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Thanks guys!

The kink can definitely be awkward, and is usually the toughest part of the bend at 7" with CRS.  One of the biggest things on the kink, in my opinion, is to stay with it, even if it doesn't start to go right away.  Aside from the main limiting factor of leverage or positioning, and not being possible for some people (due to injuries etc.), keeping the tension on the bar during the kink until it starts to bend is a fine line between getting a bend and not.  Especially with the types of bars that are milestone bends, and a few of the more difficult stock.  

Another aspect at this length is wrap depth.  Although most people are trying to get leverage with wraps out further (1.5-1.75"), getting a deeper wrap will eliminate a lot of the shoulder/position issues.  With your strength/power, this might be something to mess around with.  

• Like 3

I had to give up DO bending after my partial shoulder rotator cuff tear.
Shoulder mobility was always my weak spot, but after the injury (fortunately I fully recovered without surgery)
I lost almost all of my shoulder mobility. I can't put a 7" long steel under my chin.
But I love bendig steel, so I started bending horseshoes seriously.
Two bends from todays training:
The SSP went very well I crushed the shoes under a minute, the DF was much harder, the kink was good, but I have to work on my crush.
This thick, clipped low numbered shoes was a very hard crush.

Kerckhaer SSP 10x22 Size 4 Horseshoe bend (bend starts at arpound 2:50):

Kerckhaert DF 10x22 size 2 horseshoe bend (starts around 2:40):

• Like 7

Yep, here is another great steel bender.

Welcome back Zsolt. I am sure you will make a big damage on the shoes. And with your videos you show that you are top notch in this game!

• Like 3

@Horrido Thank you very much!

@wobbler It caused by not only DO bending. I did lot of things simultaneously and I wasn't paying attention to my body and the warning signs.

• Like 1

@Fist of Fury I did some reverse bends yesterday and unfortunately it is not quite where my DO is right now. I worked up to a 1/4" x 6" G5 and called it quits after that. 

• Like 4

@Fist of Fury I did some reverse bends yesterday and unfortunately it is not quite where my DO is right now. I worked up to a 1/4" x 6" G5 and called it quits after that. 

Nice bend. Reverse is very difficult for sure but can be easier to start with for some people, it was worth a shot at least, you never know :) 

1/4 G5 bolt is my best reverse bend, was done with pads touching tho. IMP's and leverage adds a little bit.

• Like 3

Pretty happy about this bend. Fast and easy. 29mm diameter suede pads. Less pading than doubles? 

I'm trying to bend with IMP as much as I can. But my bones in my left hand are trashed. 

• Like 4

Nice and easy bend for you. It's always good to get a bend done. And nice to see more videos here.

What's your next step?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horrido said:

Nice and easy bend for you. It's always good to get a bend done. And nice to see more videos here.

What's your next step?

Thank you! 

Next step is to be able to bend bars like this and Red Nail in cordura pads. And bend harder 8mm CRS and SS in "doubles" I got GBI bars up to 200kg. And some hard CRS and SS that I cut to size myself.

I was hoping that 6mm CRS square would be a nice bars to bend in IMPs, but that was way to easy.

My plan is also to train bench press and maybe some other exercizes. I think I would benefit from being  stronger overall (obviously), and give my hands a break from time to time.

I have felt weird pain in my hands and they have been making loud snapping sounds when I try to bend Red Nail and such in IMPs.

• Like 2