Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

Here is my graveyard from last Saturday

• Like 5

After all my holiday shopping (and the aftermath of targetted advertising) I can't get the idea of a steel bending monthly subscription service out of my head now...

Ideally rated steel that you don't have to pay overseas shipping for. But even just a "group buy" where someone fronts and then distributes so everyone gets their hands on the same steel, would be cool.

• Like 1

Today’s session felt good. Three 60D underhand, a 5/8x28 bend, a timber spike, and a mini snap medley with a grade 5, a 3/8x12 HRS and 4 oval nails, using only Horne wraps.

D45F9098-9E5F-498C-B2D2-CC4C544C2D71.jpeg

Edited by Tom Flesher
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, wobbler said:

After all my holiday shopping (and the aftermath of targetted advertising) I can't get the idea of a steel bending monthly subscription service out of my head now...

Ideally rated steel that you don't have to pay overseas shipping for. But even just a "group buy" where someone fronts and then distributes so everyone gets their hands on the same steel, would be cool.

We’d need someone to rate the steel... Gil....

• Like 1

Yeah, one thought on that, just make a new rating system.

Try a rigid spreader bar the same length as the bar you are rating. Numbers should come out lower than with chains on both ends because there would be no bending moment on the bar, but who cares? I think it would also close the gap on bars of different lengths, making a poundage comparison more accurate in terms of feel (less increase for shorter bars.)

I also have a vague idea (not quite enough to sketch it) about a leverage based system so you can just slide a 45 down a long cheater pipe and then calculate a rating, should make it much faster/easier. Imagine a bar supported by V blocks at each end, and then a "landmine" style olympic barbell mounted to the floor, that presses on the middle of the bar you are rating.

1 hour ago, Tom Flesher said:

Today’s session felt good. Three 60D underhand, a 5/8x28 bend, a timber spike, and a mini snap medley with a grade 5, a 3/8x12 HRS and 4 oval nails, using only Horne wraps.

Nice well rounded workout Tom! Great to get strong in every style. I think training all styles helps with injury prevention too.

Any other NY guys coming in May? Anton?

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 2

@Tommy J. and @EricMilfeld, what part of Texas are you guys in? I was thinking Dallas area but not sure. I will be in Austin next weekend. If close to Austin, would be great to meet you guys and maybe do some bending/ training.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

We’d need someone to rate the steel... Gil....

:)

1 hour ago, wobbler said:

Yeah, one thought on that, just make a new rating system.

Try a rigid spreader bar the same length as the bar you are rating. Numbers should come out lower than with chains on both ends because there would be no bending moment on the bar, but who cares? I think it would also close the gap on bars of different lengths, making a poundage comparison more accurate in terms of feel (less increase for shorter bars.)

I also have a vague idea (not quite enough to sketch it) about a leverage based system so you can just slide a 45 down a long cheater pipe and then calculate a rating, should make it much faster/easier. Imagine a bar supported by V blocks at each end, and then a "landmine" style olympic barbell mounted to the floor, that presses on the middle of the bar you are rating.

I am working on a new rating system as well as an improved (faster and more accurate) Krahling rating rig. It may be a few weeks before I have time to finish one or both, but they are in the works.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Donc101 said:

@Tommy J. and @EricMilfeld, what part of Texas are you guys in? I was thinking Dallas area but not sure. I will be in Austin next weekend. If close to Austin, would be great to meet you guys and maybe do some bending/ training.

Currently, about 35 minutes outside DFW. Austin is about 3 hours from me. Not a big deal to make the trip, but not yet sure if I can get a free’d up day.

8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Currently, about 35 minutes outside DFW. Austin is about 3 hours from me. Not a big deal to make the trip, but not yet sure if I can get a free’d up day.

Ok. I am doing the Oldetime Strongman University with Dennis Rogers. Should be a blast. I thought if you all were close I could come by at night, but 3 hours is too far because we will be busy working on feats until the evening. It would be great to meet up with you Texas benders sometime. Some strong benders from Texas.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

Good day at the office

• Like 1

So here is my bend from today:

This was a very painful bend for me. Unfortunatly it was not in the 5 minute time frame with a few seconds, but nevertheless I want to share it because it was very hard. So the Square is completed for me: 7" - 6,5" - 6" in doubles and the 7" in singles.

Now I need to get stronger for my main goal.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Horrido said:

This was a very painful bend for me. Unfortunatly it was not in the 5 minute time frame with a few seconds, but nevertheless I want to share it because it was very hard. So the Square is completed for me: 7" - 6,5" - 6" in doubles and the 7" in singles.

Very tough bend! great job! What is the main goal?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Yeah, I’m in Ft. Worth, so also about three hours from Austin. Too bad it didn’t work out this time, but thanks for thinking about us. That would have been a fun meet-up for sure! I have a lot of family down that way, having lived there for 15 years. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Horrido said:

Finally got to sit down and watch this in full. KILLER bend Jan! I don’t think I ever bent a square in single wraps? And I’m not certain I have seen anyone else bend a 7”x5/16” square in singles. Is this a first??

btw if no one has noticed, Jan is quickly becoming one of the greatest DO steel benders of all time! If not already! And at under 200lbs! I love it. Salute, sir!

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 3

Huge thanks for this words!

Zsolt Hornyak also bend one in these pads. To be fair, we have to say that steel varies and these squares are in the 210-215kg (Iron Grip) area.

And no way to be one of the best till now! I have to do the hard bolts first. They stopped me several times at different positions, and no try till summer, I have to get stronger! Technique is good, Hands are more than ready, mind also. Only thing left is some more strength, but I will work for it for sure.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Finally got to sit down and watch this in full. KILLER bend Jan! I don’t think I ever bent a square in single wraps? And I’m not certain I have seen anyone else bend a 7”x5/16” square in singles. Is this a first??

btw if no one has noticed, Jan is quickly becoming one of the greatest DO steel benders of all time! If not already! And at under 200lbs! I love it. Salute, sir!

Jan is definitely the best German DO short steel bender right now!

Hard work and consistent training pays off! 💪

• Like 3

On 1/16/2020 at 9:09 PM, Horrido said:

Those are nasty! Great job Jan! I still have passion to bend steel but only for fun. No big goals anymore. After neck surgery my right hand is still 60-50% weaker than my left, but step by step.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Juha Lehtimäki said:

Those are nasty! Great job Jan! I still have passion to bend steel but only for fun. No big goals anymore. After neck surgery my right hand is still 60-50% weaker than my left, but step by step.

Juhaaaaaaaaaa!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juha Lehtimäki said:

Thanks Juha!

I am sure that you will be at 100% very soon and that we will see big bends straight out Finland. You are still in the top line of all time!

• Like 3

Hey guys!

It's really an honour to be named in a topic full of legends.

I still have to do some rehab/prehab-work but i'm looking forward to return to the bending world in march/april.

Last time i checked, i was still on red nail level so my next main goal will be a 7"/9mm CRS nail in IMPs - this should keep me occupied for a while and i'm looking forward to it!

• Like 4

I think the designs are great! I bought 2 shirts and a coffee cup. Personal favorite is the old school feats of strength one. Great job!

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 4