Since 2020 - Poems of Steel

Horrido

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Will we see Cletus again?

There is always that possibility...

• Like 1

I may take another crack at it. I was close. I bent a red, and a bastard 1 time and then went backwards. So i stopped.

Im exclusive to DU, and i was doing a session of shiny 60D 1-2X weekly for like 6 weeks and rested and took a stab at a red. Or Id add a few drill rods instead of the 5-10 60ds. I got no help because everyone is on the DU bullet train. 

Going at it alone, and in a style folk dont give a crap about sucks. Before bitching out I was melting nearly everything below a red. Even going as far as doing 6” L drill and 5.5” 1/4 square. . But the red continued to spread my cheeks and ram fist into ass. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I may take another crack at it. I was close. I bent a red, and a bastard 1 time and then went backwards. So i stopped.

Im exclusive to DU, and i was doing a session of shiny 60D 1-2X weekly for like 6 weeks and rested and took a stab at a red. Or Id add a few drill rods instead of the 5-10 60ds. I got no help because everyone is on the DU bullet train. 

Going at it alone, and in a style folk dont give a crap about sucks. Before bitching out I was melting nearly everything below a red. Even going as far as doing 6” L drill and 5.5” 1/4 square. . But the red continued to spread my cheeks and ram fist into ass. 

Time to go thicker wraps for a while then. Thicker wraps will give more leverage than thinner wraps. Can and will help break through a plateau. Once you do get the bend in thicker wraps, slowly over the course of a couple weeks cut more and more wrap off, or switch to thinner wraps completely. DU same approach as DO. Only thing different is leverage. 

also, just because you can’t get the bar to your neck doesn’t mean DO is out of the question. JT should be a case study for low bar DO benders. Low bar is a thing in DO bending just like it’s a thing for squatting. Only it works backwards from squatting. In squatting, low bar produces better leverage. High bar is like a strict squat where it’s more quad muscle and less leverage from the lower back.

with DO bending, high bar is where the bigger leverage is at. And low bar is less leverage and more muscle.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

Time to go thicker wraps for a while then. Thicker wraps will give more leverage than thinner wraps. Can and will help break through a plateau. Once you do get the bend in thicker wraps, slowly over the course of a couple weeks cut more and more wrap off, or switch to thinner wraps completely. DU same approach as DO. Only thing different is style. The steel will bend the same.

also, just because you can’t get the bar to your neck doesn’t mean DO is out of the question. JT should be a case study for low bar DO benders. Low bar is a thing in DO bending just like it’s a thing for squatting. Only it works backwards from squatting. In squatting, low bar produces better leverage. High bar is like a strict squat where it’s more quad muscle and less leverage from the lower back.

with DO bending, high bar is where the bigger leverage is at. And low bar is less leverage and more muscle.

Im not playing the DO game. I lack flexibility and it bothers my shoulders to the point of tears. Its not that important to me that I feel the need to break myself more. DU is comfortable and if Im the only one doing it, im ok with that. It sucks. But it is what it is. 

10 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Im not playing the DO game. I lack flexibility and it bothers my shoulders to the point of tears. Its not that important to me that I feel the need to break myself more. DU is comfortable and if Im the only one doing it, im ok with that. It sucks. But it is what it is. 

It’s fine to do DU. Just try not to compare the steel you bend to the steel the DO guys bend. It’s a different style leverage. And will discourage you when you compare bends. DO reigns king on leverage. Hands down. Next in line is DU. And last in line for leverage is reverse style. And if you really want to get crazy bad leverage, try Heslep style. But I can guarantee the further you get away from leverage, the closer you’ll be to potential injury. Not vice versa.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2

This will be my second year of bending steel. 

My goal is the certify on the Red Nail. I have bent a few reds in thicker wraps then IMP. But no movement when I use IMP just yet. 

I also got steel and pads from GBI. So I would like to cert on their steel.

The hardest horseshoe I have bent is a Kerckhaert TDR 16x8mm size 000. I would like to bend a Kerckhaert A-class. But it seems to be a very hard shoe (for me). No movement at all so far. Can't find a good shoe inbetween.

I'm not strong. I'm not doing any regular weight lifting. 185cm 81kg, (skinny fat :D) Maybe I will need that to reach my goals.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

It’s fine to do DU. Just try not to compare the steel you bend to the steel the DO guys bend. It’s a different style leverage. And will discourage you when you compare bends. DO reigns king on leverage. Hands down. Next in line is DU. And last in line for leverage is reverse style. And if you really want to get crazy bad leverage, try Heslep style. But I can guarantee the further you get away from leverage, the closer you’ll be to potential injury. Not vice versa.

Understood. 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

I witnessed a Red Nail cert that was done DU, it was very impressive.  I will be the first one to "like" any DU bends that you post. 

• Like 2

@Slippery Pete you are the guy from sweden with very good works in steel manufactoring right?

Try to get CRS 7mm. This should be no problem in sweden and bend a lot of them in the next weeks and then try the red again.

On the horseshoes your next step can be the Kerckhaert SX7 #2 and then working down to the #000. Then the same shoes with the sideclips (SC). An SX7 SC #000 is a very good bend a good goal an worth in the Top 20.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I witnessed a Red Nail cert that was done DU, it was very impressive.  I will be the first one to "like" any DU bends that you post. 

I appreciate that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horrido said:

@Slippery Pete you are the guy from sweden with very good works in steel manufactoring right?

Try to get CRS 7mm. This should be no problem in sweden and bend a lot of them in the next weeks and then try the red again.

On the horseshoes your next step can be the Kerckhaert SX7 #2 and then working down to the #000. Then the same shoes with the sideclips (SC). An SX7 SC #000 is a very good bend a good goal an worth in the Top 20.

Thats me! Thank you for the kind words :D

I been seaching for many many hours, and sadly you cant get any stock in Sweden that is 7mm, except from music wire. 

Kerckhaert SX7 is also not available here. 

Internationally, which supplier would be best for me to buy those from?

Thanks alot!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Word!

i remember back when many were saying it was “impossible” to do. Not sure why anyone ever believed that.. but I heard it said many times by many people. I think what they meant to say was “the gold nail feels impossible for them to cert. so they don’t think anyone else can.” Time heals that kind of stupidity. And when the first cert happens, others will follow soon thereafter.

the biggest puzzle that needs solving with that bend is actually right in everyone’s faces... you have to simply specialize at 8-3/8” and work your way through thicker and thicker bars. There is no magic. But there is also no shortcuts. You have to put in the work at that length. And who have we seen yet in the bending community diligently pursue that length for any extended period? Not really anyone. Including myself.

so I’ll add some more encouragement to those wondering. When Eric was calibrating steel, the highest he ever had a gold nail come in at was low 600’s. Like, 610’ish. Anyone that has done a KOAB or a big G8 has already surpassed that poundage. And now it’s just a matter of making your power zone 8-3/8” instead of 7” or less.

further, I’ve bent gold nails. Once it’s kinked, your nailing it. The sweep and crush on a 8”+ bar at 600lbs on the high end, literally feels like a stiff Edgin. Don’t believe me? For those that can bend Edgins with relative ease, pre kink a gold nail to 30 degrees, wrap it in imps, and finish it. And youll start drooling when you realize just how close you already are to a complete bend of one.

Signed,

Tommy J.

Jan 8th, 2020~ currently no certified gold nail bender(s)

Let this post stand in time as the “told ya so!” post about the gold nail cert for when it DOES happen.

I completely agree. I can pre-kink a gold to 40 degrees and kill it in single IMPs. I just need to get a stronger kink. I've been working at 8 3/8 only for most of 2019. I'm not worrying about any other bend/cert until I get the Gold. 

Edited by PITTisKING
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

Thats me! Thank you for the kind words :D

I been seaching for many many hours, and sadly you cant get any stock in Sweden that is 7mm, except from music wire. 

Kerckhaert SX7 is also not available here. 

Internationally, which supplier would be best for me to buy those from?

Thanks alot!

Ok, I thought it´s easy to get it all over europe.

The best way is with a normal steel supplier but to order from sweden the best way should be ebay. Here is an ebay link for the CRS 7mm. It´s from germany but they shipping worldwide:

CRS different Diameters

Here is a link for the SX7: SX7 and more shoes

It´s a german shop but also shipping to sweden and nearly every Kerckhaert shoes.
You can also ask @David_wigren where he bought his shoes in the past.

If you Need any help with the Shops or with the language send me a pn and I can send you the final links of what you want.

I am not familiar with international shops, because we get mostly everything here in germany, so I only have theses links for you.

and to the calibration Thing @Squeezus

@Ivan Beritashvili and the guys from Iron Grip rated their bars in the past a little different as the Krahling method. You can see it in this thread on page one how they do it:

P.S. as I paste the link in here the frame popped up with a picture. This picture was from me - no idea why this is displayed :cool

This calibration was very good and the bars were really great.
In the past I made some sheets for me to print it out and to have an idea of the difference of Krahling and Iron Grip method and with the calibration of the FBBC stock in the past.
Here are the Sheets:

622621241_KalibrationListe.PNG.b05b8c57b067d6341ac29b97cb7b8110.PNG

14864820_KalibrationVergleich.PNG.96075b71e806d43b61ae15afbfcbc92a.PNG

In my opinion the best way to calibrate the bars is with the weights as in the past. I also build a rig and tried something with an cable winch but nothing beated the free weights in precision.
Also it´s very important to calibrate every batch, because steel can vary a lot, also from the same producer.

• Like 2

Right now I'm really headed the opposite direction of Tommy. I'm feeling super strong in sub 6" stock so currently I'm cutting down an Edgin a half inch at a time. I'm surprised no one has ever certed on a 5" edgin (for FBBC anyway) so that's a goal of mine in the next month or two. 5.5" should be done in the next couple weeks. I'm only about 2 months back into bending so you'll have to excuse the weak goals for now.

Longer term I'm definitely coming for a big G8 and KOAB then start cutting both down.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Horrido said:

some news in the bending world from russia:

He is a crazy strong bender.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikingsrule92 said:

Right now I'm really headed the opposite direction of Tommy. I'm feeling super strong in sub 6" stock so currently I'm cutting down an Edgin a half inch at a time. I'm surprised no one has ever certed on a 5" edgin (for FBBC anyway) so that's a goal of mine in the next month or two. 5.5" should be done in the next couple weeks. I'm only about 2 months back into bending so you'll have to excuse the weak goals for now.

Longer term I'm definitely coming for a big G8 and KOAB then start cutting both down.

5” Edgin is a killer bend. Doing it in under 5 minutes is a chore. You’ll get it if you stay on a role with short stock

• Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 6:17 PM, Slippery Pete said:

The hardest horseshoe I have bent is a Kerckhaert TDR 16x8mm size 000. I would like to bend a Kerckhaert A-class. But it seems to be a very hard shoe (for me). No movement at all so far. Can't find a good shoe inbetween.

Try the Kerckhaert SX7 without clips. Go from #2 downwards to #0000. You can throw in the sideclipped version also, which has a harder crush. (Note: There is a 19x7mm version of the sideclipped #2, which makes it MUCH harder!) 

EDIT: ...just have seen, that Horrido said the same and that these shoes are not available in Sweden...

Edited by camz
  • Like 3

On 1/7/2020 at 6:36 AM, Horrido said:

This thread is for all the news that will come and to have all the things together, so that nobody had to search through several threads!

Is this thread for DO only?

I will give steelbending a comeback, but first I have to lift an INCH and it will be BRACED bending, as there is some unfinished business left...

But thanks for the mention anyway!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, camz said:

Is this thread for DO only?

Even if it were, I have a feeling no one would complain about whatever you decide to post.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom Flesher said:

Even if it were, I have a feeling no one would complain about whatever you decide to post.

Agreed

• Like 2

Right. Steel is steel. If you bend some show it!

For those how don't know him... @camz make huge damage in bending. No matter if DO, braced or horseshoes!

• Like 3