Does Gripper reps even matter when closing big ones ?

Mega Slice

Hello. I am new in this forum and also feel like amateur in this grip strength stuff.

I have been training with these CoC grippers and learning to do some other grip stuff also. Thanks to this forum.

I made my PR to with CoC number #2 x 20 reps, second set 17 reps and third set 15 reps. So it feels pretty good and starting to gets easier the more I do it.

Then I bought number #3 CoC and was sure I can close it with first attempt but NO. Last night I tried again and it was like 6mm away from closing. I think its like 1/8 inch.

So question is Do these lighter gripper reps even matter when doing closing with these harder grippers ? How you guys feel in your own training this linked to bigger ones ?

I have not rated any of my grippers so I can not tell what they are. Also have you heard or get one gripper rated like its solid #3.5 than #3 while it says its number #3 ? 

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mega Slice said:

Hello. I am new in this forum and also feel like amateur in this grip strength stuff.

I have been training with these CoC grippers and learning to do some other grip stuff also. Thanks to this forum.

I made my PR to with CoC number #2 x 20 reps, second set 17 reps and third set 15 reps. So it feels pretty good and starting to gets easier the more I do it.

Then I bought number #3 CoC and was sure I can close it with first attempt but NO. Last night I tried again and it was like 6mm away from closing. I think its like 1/8 inch.

So question is Do these lighter gripper reps even matter when doing closing with these harder grippers ? How you guys feel in your own training this linked to bigger ones ?

I have not rated any of my grippers so I can not tell what they are. Also have you heard or get one gripper rated like its solid #3.5 than #3 while it says its number #3 ? 

Thanks

They are good for warm ups, a pump and general forearm strength and endurance , but if you want to close bigger grippers, you need to work as close to your max as you can for low reps like you would for any strength building program. I always do my number 2 for my warm up for as many reps up to 30 reps  in a set and then work up to a higher gripper each ascending set for lower reps for max effort.

I would get the CoC2.5 for a start. Trying to go from the CoC2 to the CoC3 without anything in between is like trying to go from a 225 lb bench to a 315 lb bench with only 45 lb plates. You can do reps forever at 225 but that's not the same as building up the weight gradually to 315.

• Like 3

Thanks guys for helping answers. I will order CoC #2.5 this week. Also I am going to try this choker method that I read about here. Some have got good results from that training. 

• Like 1