Ironmind Hub Question

mcalpine1986

Hi all, 

I bought the ironmind hub around 2002-2003 i cant remember exactly. I tried it a couple of times but never really trained with it. Ive just had my first proper workout with it today and is it normal for the paint to be so slick? Chalk does not want to stay on it yet ive seen loads of videos and pics on instagram of IM hubs covered in chalk. Have ironmind changed it since then? 

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely it was changed. There has been a bit of “texture” on the revised hub since 2010/2011. It is a completely different model as a result.

You are correct. On the model you have, you can chalk it all you want, but it will not hold one bit of it. 

However, I found that chalking the heck out of your fingers and hands worked very effectively on the old model. I may be the only one on the planet who preferred the version you have.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Yes, absolutely it was changed. There has been a bit of “texture” on the revised hub since 2010/2011. It is a completely different model as a result.

You are correct. On the model you have, you can chalk it all you want, but it will not hold one bit of it. 

However, I found that chalking the heck out of your fingers and hands worked very effectively on the old model. I may be the only one on the planet who preferred the version you have.

Thank you for your reply. It was my first workout with it today since 2003. Ill try that next time. Ive only just got back into grip training a few months a go. When i was a teenager i went grip mad for a while and bought from Ironmind around 2002-2003 the hub, blockbuster pinch, rolling thunder and gripper T 1 2 3. The blockbuster pinch has also very slick paint. 

I only managed to work upto 15kgs today on my hub left and right hands. Not very good  i know but hearing that they have indeed changed it makes me feel a bit better. If they werent so expensive here in the uk id buy a new one as i enjoyed using the hub.  I noticed Its harsh on the fingers though if you let it slip. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

It is ludicrous  if you can’t get chalk to stick to a grip implement , in my opinion. I don’t use much, but you gotta have some for consistency of surface.

9 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thank you for your reply. It was my first workout with it today since 2003. Ill try that next time. Ive only just got back into grip training a few months a go. When i was a teenager i went grip mad for a while and bought from Ironmind around 2002-2003 the hub, blockbuster pinch, rolling thunder and gripper T 1 2 3. The blockbuster pinch has also very slick paint. 

I only managed to work upto 15kgs today on my hub left and right hands. Not very good  i know but hearing that they have indeed changed it makes me feel a bit better. If they werent so expensive here in the uk id buy a new one as i enjoyed using the hub.  I noticed Its harsh on the fingers though if you let it slip. 

When I first worked that slick sucker 20 years ago, after a month, I was pulling 33, 34 pounds as you are now. Then I chalked my hands. I remember adding 2 & 1/2 lbs. 4 times, hitting about 45 lbs after 30 minutes. It felt good. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

It is ludicrous  if you can’t get chalk to stick to a grip implement , in my opinion. I don’t use much, but you gotta have some for consistency of surface.

I feel the same way. Chalking adequately for each lift, and washing/drying hands prior to grip training does eliminate variables.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

When I first worked that slick sucker 20 years ago, after a month, I was pulling 33, 34 pounds as you are now. Then I chalked my hands. I remember adding 2 & 1/2 lbs. 4 times, hitting about 45 lbs after 30 minutes. It felt good. 

Ill try next time using tonnes of chalk on my hands. I had a little bit of chalk on my hands but that was more to absorb sweat. My blockbuster pinch block from 2003 ish is exactly the same finish, so slick and holds no chalk and very difficult. Its like ironmind is just cashing in by changing the designs or finish every so often so people might buy a more recent model.

Im not going to use that as excuse though, It just makes it harder and i suppose if i ever get the chance to use a modern version it would feel easier and lift a bit more. Im new to grip but id love to do some contests in the future.

Edited by mcalpine1986