Thoughts on this lift?

Tommy J.

This lift suggest this guy is the strongest orange fatgrips lifter on the planet?

thoughts?

i’ll go ahead and just inject my thoughts here. I say BS. His best DO axle is decent at 350lbs+ for 2 reps. But in no way suggests that he can pull more than Odd on these orange fatgrips. If I use his axle numbers as reference, that is.

the general rule of thumb with the orange fatgrips is that you’ll lift (roughly..) 100lbs less than your DO axle lift. 

Obviously I could be wrong on this one. Because I’ve been wrong before. Making this one worth posting imo.

what say you?

• Like 1

It won't play on my work computer, which, sadly, I am at.  So I will look at this when I can, but in the meantime, assuming this is THE Tommy J. resurfacing with a new screen name, welcome back to the board (and let the games begin!?  lol).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vinnie said:

It won't play on my work computer, which, sadly, I am at.  So I will look at this when I can, but in the meantime, assuming this is THE Tommy J. resurfacing with a new screen name, welcome back to the board (and let the games begin!?  lol).

(and if it isn't THE Tommy J., be prepared for a bunch of messages and replies thinking it is; that'd be a pretty Odd coincidence).

• Like 1

the one and only. 😁

Old account is deleted. Including all titles, accolades, etc.

Haven’t asked Bill yet if my old account can be revived. So for now I’m rolling with day 1 status.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

the one and only. 😁

Old account is deleted. Including all titles, accolades, etc.

Haven’t asked Bill yet if my old account can be revived. So for now I’m rolling with day 1 status.

Welcome newbie.

• Haha 1

Bar flexes pretty good for only 170kg.  Possibly a 26 or 27mm bar, which might make the grips a little easier to compress???  Not sure as I don't have much experience with fat grips.  I have a Rogue deadlift bar and I'm not sure it would flex that much with 364 on it.  It doesn't seem to frown much until you get over 200kg.

Also, the bar looks slightly bent before any load is placed on it.  A bent bar won't rotate like a straight bar will.  See the guy on youtube doing 700 do on a bent oly bar.  

He also seems to place his hands directly on his legs and kind of ramps it up his legs.  If you can master this technique (cheat code), it almosts locks the thumbs on the bar and also helps lessen the rotation.  Trick is getting the pressure on the thumbs and not on the bar.

Sooooo, it may be 170 kg. But it may be something that he might not be able to replicate on a standard, unbent bar.

Or he could be using a ladies 25mm, 15kg bar and tricking the world.  🤣😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Bar flexes pretty good for only 170kg.  Possibly a 26 or 27mm bar, which might make the grips a little easier to compress???  Not sure as I don't have much experience with fat grips.  I have a Rogue deadlift bar and I'm not sure it would flex that much with 364 on it.  It doesn't seem to frown much until you get over 200kg.

Also, the bar looks slightly bent before any load is placed on it.  A bent bar won't rotate like a straight bar will.  See the guy on youtube doing 700 do on a bent oly bar.  

He also seems to place his hands directly on his legs and kind of ramps it up his legs.  If you can master this technique (cheat code), it almosts locks the thumbs on the bar and also helps lessen the rotation.  Trick is getting the pressure on the thumbs and not on the bar.

Sooooo, it may be 170 kg. But it may be something that he might not be able to replicate on a standard, unbent bar.

Ah, word. Interesting notes! I hadn’t considered the smaller diameter bar being a possibility. That would certainly change the dynamics of the fatgrips lift.  And since I’m not a heavy deadlifter, I payed no attention to the flex of the bar on that light of a weight either.

definitely points worth noting!

i suppose this lift is justifiably looking more and more sketchy. 🧐

If you look closely, unless it is an optical illusion, the bar is bowed before he touches it.  If you compare it to the edge of the pad he's standing on, the middle is definitely higher than both ends.  It's like deadlifting with a buffalo bar.  Bent bars don't rotate.  Again, I'm no fatgrips expert, but I do consider myself a bit of a DL enthusiast.  I can tell you that an oly bar that is bent is way easier to DO than a straight one.

Just my 2 cents.  He may have trained and trenned his arse off and made a ton of progress and this is totes legit.

Screenshot_20200102-065948_Samsung Internet.jpg

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

(and if it isn't THE Tommy J., be prepared for a bunch of messages and replies thinking it is; that'd be a pretty Odd coincidence).

It’s the real Tommy.

I hope it’s real, because I personally like the guy. He seems like a cool dude from the interactions I’ve had with him. But yes, seems way above and beyond. 

33 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If you look closely, unless it is an optical illusion, the bar is bowed before he touches it.  If you compare it to the edge of the pad he's standing on, the middle is definitely higher than both ends.  It's like deadlifting with a buffalo bar.  Bent bars don't rotate.  Again, I'm no fatgrips expert, but I do consider myself a bit of a DL enthusiast.  I can tell you that an oly bar that is bent is way easier to DO than a straight one.

Just my 2 cents.  He may have trained and trenned his arse off and made a ton of progress and this is totes legit.

Screenshot_20200102-065948_Samsung Internet.jpg

Bar definitely looks bent but I doubt that would make much difference with a  minimum of 2.75 inches thickness.  

I honestly cannot understand why anyone would lie about their capabilities  on a strength feat, especially a grip one, which only a handful of people on the planet give any hoot about. Not saying he is, but in general, it’s ludicrous. 

Bar does appear to be bent.  Center of bar appears higher at the start of the lift and appears to "bow" down after the lift when he puts it down.  I agree the bar seems to flex more but it's hard for me to tell that if the bar starts out bent?  How much difference all that makes - I don't know.  Bar diameter  -I can't tell that from the video?  Weight plates appear to be legit.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I honestly cannot understand why anyone would lie about their capabilities  on a strength feat, especially a grip one, which only a handful of people on the planet give any hoot about. Not saying he is, but in general, it’s ludicrous. 

Exactly. I put it on par with lying to the dog. Almost like they need to prove to themselves their integrity sucks.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Bar does appear to be bent.  Center of bar appears higher at the start of the lift and appears to "bow" down after the lift when he puts it down.  I agree the bar seems to flex more but it's hard for me to tell that if the bar starts out bent?  How much difference all that makes - I don't know.  Bar diameter  -I can't tell that from the video?  Weight plates appear to be legit.   

My first thought after looking closer was either a couple fake plates (possibly the most inner plates) or he’s using some form of aid to make the hands sticky. I’ll be honest, I didn’t even notice the bar bend till Mike posted. And hadn’t considered the possibility of a thinner bar.

that said, I just text with Joe. He had a valid point also. The fatgrips are 2.75” alone, without any bar. Even at that diameter his axle numbers don’t jive.

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

My first thought after looking closer was either a couple fake plates (possibly the most inner plates) or he’s using some form of aid to make the hands sticky. I’ll be honest, I didn’t even notice the bar bend till Mike posted. And hadn’t considered the possibility of a thinner bar.

that said, I just text with Joe. He had a valid point also. The fatgrips are 2.75” alone, without any bar. Even at that diameter his axle numbers don’t jive.

Yes sir!

17 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Bar definitely looks bent but I doubt that would make much difference with a  minimum of 2.75 inches thickness.  

It would make a huge difference.  The rotation is everything.  I've lifted over 300 one handed with a 2 3/8 handle that didn't rotate.  A bent bar doesn't rotate.  

I’ll add a disclaimer here as well. I don’t even know the guy. So this isn’t a personal attack. Just doing what I do I suppose. 😁

and calling bs as it makes its way to me.

5 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

It would make a huge difference.  The rotation is everything.  I've lifted over 300 one handed with a 2 3/8 handle that didn't rotate.  A bent bar doesn't rotate.  

Really? That much? Wow!!! 

12 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Really? That much? Wow!!! 

Take your wrist wrench.  Don't wrap at all.  Let the straps hang straight down from the handle.  Go amaze yourself at how much you can lift with a handle that can't rotate.  Before I deleted over half my youtube vids I had one up there lifting over 300 one handed.  If memory serves, it was thumbless.

10 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

The hand placement against the legs was the first thing I noticed.  You are right, pinning the thumb against the leg would make a huge difference. 

I know the guy personally. I've met him in FIBO, Cologne, Germany after my friend Christoph @honk introduced us. It was more of a business meeting nothing grip at all. We did speak a thing or two about grip but that's it. I was told by many Germans he is legit and is very strong in the thick bar. He had his grippers with him at the sports exhibition. Dude is passionate about grip and looks legit. He is a gentleman and I don't think he is the type that cheats. Again, we didn't train grip. But knowing him from the one meeting I saw this can be true. Especially of the bar doesn't have rotation then it is doable I guess. I too like @Mike Rinderle can lift around 300 pounds one handed on a 2.5" non rotating bar. Juha did something like 175KG one handed I believe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Take your wrist wrench.  Don't wrap at all.  Let the straps hang straight down from the handle.  Go amaze yourself at how much you can lift with a handle that can't rotate.  Before I deleted over half my youtube vids I had one up there lifting over 300 one handed.  If memory serves, it was thumbless.

Very true.

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

Very true.

Also try to wrap it the other way. It will be easier because it will dig in your hands. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

I know the guy personally. I've met him in FIBO, Cologne, Germany after my friend Christoph @honk introduced us. It was more of a business meeting nothing grip at all. We did speak a thing or two about grip but that's it. I was told by many Germans he is legit and is very strong in the thick bar. He had his grippers with him at the sports exhibition. Dude is passionate about grip and looks legit. He is a gentleman and I don't think he is the type that cheats. Again, we didn't train grip. But knowing him from the one meeting I saw this can be true. Especially of the bar doesn't have rotation then it is doable I guess. I too like @Mike Rinderle can lift around 300 pounds one handed on a 2.5" non rotating bar. Juha did something like 175KG one handed I believe.

I agree with him being a good guy. And my hope is what is written in this text by Bader.